Boonies LCPA recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Boonies LCPA recipe

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 16, 2007 10:41 am

Just a reminder of what Boonie posted

1 tin Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
15g of Cascade pellets - 15min
10g Cluster pellets - 15 min
US56 Yeast.
12g of Chinook Pellets (dry hopped at rack).

I used the coopers liquid pale malt instead. 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, dry hopped with chinook. Bulk primed with dex on 3rd Feb.

So i couldnt wait the 2 weeks i normally allow for my first taste. Was worried it wouldnt be full carbed. Nothing to worry about. Good carb.

Taste - i think i can safely say this is the best beer i have made/tasted to date! Didnt do a side by side tasting with LCPA but i did have 6 of the real thing on Saturday night so memory is relatively good and i think this is very very close. Hops are sensational, good bitterness, flavour and a gorgeous aroma.

Boonie. Mate. I'm in love :mrgreen: Lucky ur not in Adelaide, cos i could kiss you right now!

Give it a go K&Kers cos its sensational. I got the chinook from Ross at craftbrewer if you cant find them. Got a few more bottles in the fridge ready for 2nite! Counting down the hours.....

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby scblack » Friday Feb 16, 2007 10:56 am

I bottled this recipe on the weekend, can't wait to give it a go.

From all reports, is a great recipe, and matches the real thing very well.

Did I say I can't wait? :lol:
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby scblack » Friday Feb 16, 2007 10:58 am

If it turns out as well as everyone is saying it will be a staple of mine.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby Swifty » Friday Feb 16, 2007 12:08 pm

I too bottled a version of this on the 7th of Feb, unfortunetly I couldn't get the Chinook so used Cascade and the Coopers light liquid aswell. I'm very worried though as the temp. crept up over 26 degrees and I fear it's not going to taste very good. Still, I'm excited to see.
Swifty

Postby Sathias » Friday Feb 16, 2007 2:08 pm

My local doesn't stock Morgans, would a similar Beermakers, Blackrock, or Muntons kit do the trick?
Sathias

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Ask your HBS for any draught /lager that has a similar bitterness (28 IBU) to that kit and it wont make a difference.
drsmurto

Re: Boonies LCPA recipe

Postby Boonie » Friday Feb 16, 2007 9:47 pm

drsmurto wrote:Just a reminder of what Boonie posted

US56 Yeast.

I used the coopers liquid pale malt instead. 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, dry hopped with chinook. Bulk primed with dex on 3rd Feb.

So i couldnt wait the 2 weeks i normally allow for my first taste. Was worried it wouldnt be full carbed. Nothing to worry about. Good carb.

Taste - i think i can safely say this is the best beer i have made/tasted to date! Didnt do a side by side tasting with LCPA but i did have 6 of the real thing on Saturday night so memory is relatively good and i think this is very very close. Hops are sensational, good bitterness, flavour and a gorgeous aroma.

Boonie. Mate. I'm in love :mrgreen: Lucky ur not in Adelaide, cos i could kiss you right now!

Give it a go K&Kers cos its sensational. I got the chinook from Ross at craftbrewer if you cant find them. Got a few more bottles in the fridge ready for 2nite! Counting down the hours.....

Cheers
DrSmurto

:shock: KISS, I hope you mean the band :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the compliment. :wink:

To all brewers out there, if you hear or make a great recipe or clone attempt, let us know so we can all try. I have done a few recipes from here and they have all been great.

With this recipe, the thing I like most, besides the taste, is the fantastic creamy head that it achieves from a K&K.

Enjoy

Cheers

Boonie

PS. Major KISS fan here, seeing Paul Stanley at Newcastle Ent Centre in April, and no not the kiss from drsmurto :lol:
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby tazman67 » Saturday Feb 17, 2007 12:34 am

Thanks Boonie, drinking mine now at 5 weeks... not going to last long :D
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Postby Danzar » Saturday Feb 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Bottling the second batch of this now. I have another 'beer-a-thon' coming up in a few weeks. This will b e very popular.

Boonie - I still have some of those Chinooks you sent me - they've certainly come in handy!
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Feb 18, 2007 3:17 pm

drsmurto wrote:Just a reminder of what Boonie posted

US56 Yeast.

Cheers
DrSmurto

You might want to swap the Chinook and Cascade additions if you want to get a lot closer to the real thing, ie, bitter with Chinook.

I'm assuming that you're boiling the hops with the malt extract and adding the kit at flameout so as to preserve the aroma and flavour hops in the kit which will be boiled out of solution if you toss the kit concentrate into the kettle. Just gently stir through the kit at the end of the boil / flameout and avoid adding air to the boiling hot wort when you carefully stir the kit through.

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Monday Feb 19, 2007 8:40 am

Yep, bitterness comes from the kit, the hops additions are for flavour and aroma. So swapping the cascade and chinook around is not going to affect the bitterness much, if at all. I never boil the kits so not an issue, add at flameout or straight to fermenter.

Had another bottle or 3 of this on the weekend. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Unfortunately, i am going to have to stop brewing for a few months at least and moving in with my partners parents while we wait to buy a house. All my beers will be going into storage during that time so will be ageing them and drinking the GBs or commercial stuff.

Once i get back up and running this will be my constant. Yes, its that good!

Boonie - :wink: :wink: KISS! killer recipe and taste in music. Legend!
drsmurto

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 11:35 am

Trough Lolly wrote:You might want to swap the Chinook and Cascade additions if you want to get a lot closer to the real thing, ie, bitter with Chinook.

I'm assuming that you're boiling the hops with the malt extract and adding the kit at flameout so as to preserve the aroma and flavour hops in the kit which will be boiled out of solution if you toss the kit concentrate into the kettle. Just gently stir through the kit at the end of the boil / flameout and avoid adding air to the boiling hot wort when you carefully stir the kit through.

Cheers,
TL

I don't add the can of Morgans at Flameout (Kit Concentrate).

I add the Kit to the fermenter after I have heated the can up in boiling to hot water.

Then I add the boiled malt and hops.

When I say boiled, I mean I add 1 litre-1.5 litres of water, boil, then turn it down to a simmer. Add Liquid Malt and let warm back up and then the hops at the specified intervals.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 11:39 am

same. kit at flameout or warmed and into the fermenter are the same thing really, as long as you dont boil the kit ur fine!
drsmurto

Postby scblack » Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 11:52 am

I always boil my kits for between 15-30mins.

For this recipe, it was boiled with the kit, malt, cascade & cluster all boiled lightly for 15mins, as is stipulated by Boonies original recipe posting.

I don't think the fact it boils out any kit hops matters at all, as that is what we are doing by adding the cascade, cluster & chinook hops. WE are adding the required hop bitterness and aromas by separately adding the three.

I have not yet tried mine yet - it is waiting until next weekend for first tasting.
scblack

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

We arent adding any extra bitterness to the kits as we are only boiling the hops for 15 mins, this adds flavour not bitterness. If you boil the kit you may remove the bitterness.. not sure how long it would take but i have never boiled a kit, always either add it at flameout or sit it in a sink of hot water and add it to the fermenter.
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 3:27 pm

drsmurto wrote:We arent adding any extra bitterness to the kits as we are only boiling the hops for 15 mins, this adds flavour not bitterness. If you boil the kit you may remove the bitterness.. not sure how long it would take but i have never boiled a kit, always either add it at flameout or sit it in a sink of hot water and add it to the fermenter.

Boiling a kit will not remove bitterness that occurs during the hop isomerisation when the concentrate is made. Boiling a kit concentrate will however knock out some of the hop flavour and aroma - which is fine if you have a kit but don't like their hop additions and want to change the beer's hop profile with extra hops. If you do that regularly, then perhaps you're better off just buying unhopped malt extract rather than paying extra for a kit and then altering the hop profile...

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby scblack » Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 3:34 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:[ If you do that regularly, then perhaps you're better off just buying unhopped malt extract rather than paying extra for a kit and then altering the hop profile...

Cheers,
TL

That is a thought I have had recently.

Can I just buy 1.7kg approx. of malt extract and use that to create my brews?

To that I would add 1-1.5kgs malts/sugars and hops.

I always thought there was more to a kit, but I guess it is generally just malted barley and hops.
scblack

Postby pixelboy » Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 7:30 pm

You can get 3kg Malt extract cans and just add yer hops.. lovely..
pixelboy

Postby Boonie » Thursday Feb 22, 2007 6:21 am

pixelboy wrote:You can get 3kg Malt extract cans and just add yer hops.. lovely..

I have some cracked grain and a 1.7 kg Malt rearing to go, along with the hops.

Cannot wait for this one :wink:

This will be a first for me without the kit.
Boonie

Postby scblack » Thursday Feb 22, 2007 8:17 am

Boonie wrote:
pixelboy wrote:You can get 3kg Malt extract cans and just add yer hops.. lovely..

I have some cracked grain and a 1.7 kg Malt rearing to go, along with the hops.

Cannot wait for this one :wink:

This will be a first for me without the kit.

I am going to give it a go too Boonie. 8)

Look at http://www.beersmith.com which can apparently help a huge amount with creating recipes. I have not used it much yet but Ross of Craftbrewer strongly suggests it, and many other Extract and AG brewers use it.

I have a FreshWort Amarillo Ale to be done, then next brew is going to be Extract. Can't wait.
scblack

Next

Return to Recipes