Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Earle's Stone & Wood recipe

Postby earle » Monday Feb 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi Gobac, glad you're enjoying the recipe. It makes a good brew for a fairly easy recipe.

Chubs, I brew all-grain now so the equipment is a bit different. For this extract recipe I just used a cheap 19L stock pot for the boil but you could get away with smaller, just watch out for boil overs as the water and malt extract come up to the boil. Leave the lid off for the boil then put it on for the last couple of minutes so the steam can sterilize it. Sit the pot in a sink of cool water to cool it, change the water a couple of times if need be. Then into a fermenter which I'm guessing is what you've been given as a kit.
earle

Postby chubs1988 » Tuesday Feb 03, 2015 12:57 am

So basically boil the first part in a pot then pour all into fermenter witht the rest of the ingredients. Just wanna be sure so I do the best brew I can. Cheers for ur advice
chubs1988

Postby earle » Tuesday Feb 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Sounds like you've got the idea
earle

Postby chubs1988 » Wednesday Feb 04, 2015 4:06 am

Cheers. Il let u know how I get on
chubs1988

Postby chubs1988 » Thursday Feb 12, 2015 12:42 am

one last question after you bottled and primed how long did you leave them until you began drinking the brew??. ive got the brew going smells phenomenal like just like stone and wood did when i was in oz. cheers (also can u recommend any other easy recipes for a beginner like me, want to get better at this before i start all grain) thanks again
chubs1988

Postby earle » Friday Feb 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Leave the bottles to carb for about 3 weeks before you start sampling. If they're in a cool place it might take quite a bit longer to carb. If its warm sometimes I sneak one for an early taste only after a week or so.

Have a browse thought the recipes section of the forum and you will find some other easy recipes. I've posted some other kit and extract recipes. You should probably give Doc Smurtos golden ale (DSGA) a go http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11013. The kit and extract version is just as easy as the Stone & Wood. Wassa's Honey Porter also gets good reveiws. http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7732&hilit=wassa
earle

Postby chubs1988 » Saturday Feb 14, 2015 1:30 am

cheers earle once again ur advice has been greatly appreciated, il start hunting and see which brews sound to my liking.
chubs1988

Postby chubs1988 » Sunday Feb 22, 2015 2:57 am

hey Earle chubs again, Ive been reading up more on brewing and seem to be getting mixed answers to the priming of bottles, some places say mix priming sugar into the brew before bottling others recommend adding to each separate bottle, what do you recommend is best and is it just basic dextrose sugar used or should i buy something else for better results. looking forward to my first batch being complete and wanna finish it as best as possible, cheers again Chubs
chubs1988

Postby earle » Monday Feb 23, 2015 8:47 am

I just use normal table sugar for priming. I use the little scoop that I got from the home brew shop and put the correct amount in each bottle. I reckon give that a go before worrying about bulk priming.
earle

Postby chubs1988 » Tuesday Feb 24, 2015 5:40 am

great thanks il just work out the measurements of sugar for a demijohn cause im filling 5 of them cause my swing top bottles are currently in use. cheers again chubs
chubs1988

Postby chubs1988 » Thursday Feb 26, 2015 9:56 pm

bottled my brew today and had a little taster, thank you Earle for this recipe cause my memories flooded bk to me soon as i took a sip, its primmed and stored roll on 3 weeks il never wait that long!!!
chubs1988

Postby earle » Tuesday Mar 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Sounds good chubs. I've been known to have some sneaky samples about a week after bottling.
earle

Postby WayneG » Tuesday Jul 14, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi folks,

Another newbie here who signed up to say thanks! S&W PA is currently my favourite beer. And like others this was my first brew, but I don't think it's going so well for me...

Initial signs were excellent, the smell just before closing up the fermenter was perfect. OG was 1.041 @ 19.7C, fermenting appears to have finished after a week, now reading 1.011 @ 18C - seems ok there. But I had a quick taste of the hydro sample. The fruity aromas have all but disappeared and it just tastes like a standard home brew kit beer (exactly what I recall my old man's tasting like 15 years ago). If I give it a bit of a shake up some of the galaxy comes out, but nothing like when it started.

Based on other comments I'm assuming it should taste similar to the real deal at this point, so I gathered I've messed up somewhere. I thought I sanitised everything well enough but maybe not. Should it taste bad at this point? I'll be leaving it for another week or two before racking but just wondering if there's anything I can do now to help? Dry hopping maybe? Oh, and I did do a double batch by doubling everything (except boil times).

Appreciate any help.
WayneG

Postby Guru » Friday Jul 17, 2015 2:25 pm

If it doesn't haven't any off flavours then I suggest you bottle it and let it condition for a few weeks before tasting again. In my experience the taste before conditioning and carbonation is a lot different to the final product.

Even if it ends up tasting just like normal beer, that can't be too bad. I would also leave it to ferment out for a few more days as well. I always let my brews ferment for 2 weeks, even if I think they are done after one week.

Let us know how it tastes in a month.
Guru

Postby WayneG » Wednesday Sep 02, 2015 9:26 pm

Just thought I'd report back to say it does taste a lot better now, still not as nice as the real thing but definitely drinkable. Hopefully I can improve it next time. Cheers.
WayneG

Postby BrianBrew » Tuesday Sep 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Put this brew on last Saturday, its been in the fermentor for over a week now. Looks good, smells great, lots of nice passion fruit but just one thing bothering me. When I took my OG reading it was noticeably lower that the 1038 - 1048 most people on here are reporting. I had 1030, its now sitting at 1009 and I suspect it wont move any further. By by limited calculations that means Im looking at an ABV of less than 3%. Granted it will increase a little with bottle conditioning but still, thats going to be mid strength. Anything I could/should do at this point to save it or is it just best to leave it as is?
BrianBrew

Postby earle » Tuesday Sep 08, 2015 7:48 pm

If you've gone by the original recipe and batch size im suspecting your og reading may not be accurate.
earle

Postby BrianBrew » Friday Sep 11, 2015 11:43 pm

followed the original recipe to a T so Im hoping your right, Im using a new hydrometer for the first time so possibly its not correct. Will report back once its been sampled, bottling this weekend. cheers
BrianBrew

Postby BrianBrew » Monday Dec 07, 2015 6:45 pm

Apologies for the delay gents I know you have all been dying of suspense. This turned out to be a great drop, nice colour excellent flavour, good hoppy aroma. Very close to the real deal, maybe the closest of the clones Ive attempted so far. Despite my concerns it did have a decent kick to it aswell, I would have put it above 5% based on taste

Once again, thanks to Earl for the recipe its a cracker. Will play around with this one and try and make it a little more bitter as I find S&W can be a bit sweet when I drink a couple
BrianBrew

Previous

Return to Recipes