Using search function

Having trouble with an aspect of the forum? Have a suggestion for an improvement?

Using search function

Postby Oliver » Monday Mar 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Some people are having trouble using the search function, so here are some tips.

The main problem seems to be when doing a search, clicking on a link and then trying to use the back button to return to the search results.

The problem is to do with returning to a page into which you've entered data.

Different browsers handle this differently. In Internet Explorer, using the back button results in a page saying "Warning: Page has Expired" and asking you to refresh the page. When you do, it comes up with a dialogue box saying something like

Code: Select all
---------------------------
The page cannot be refreshed without resending the information.
Click Retry to send the information again,
or click Cancel to return to the page that you were trying to view.
Retry   Cancel   

Hitting refresh does take you to the original page, but it's a pain to have to do all that just to return to the search results page.

In Opera or Firefox 1.5+, using the back button does work.

A couple of general suggestions about using search:
In most browsers, holding down the Shift key when you click a link from the search page will open the link in a new window, leaving the search page open.

If you're using a browser that features tabbed browsing (such as Firefox or Opera (or IE if you've got the MSN Search Toolbar installed)), hold down the Ctrl key when you click a link to open it in a new tab.

If you haven't experienced tabbed browsing before, download Firefox or Opera. It will change your surfing experience!

If you're using IE and don't want to install MSN Search Toolbar or migrate to Opera or Firefox (if you do you won't go back to IE), you'll have to wait for IE7, which features tabbed browsing.

Let me know if I've left any questions unanswered.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby flosso » Monday Mar 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Different browsers handle this differently. In Internet Explorer, using the back button results in a page saying "Warning: Page has Expired" and asking you to refresh the page. When you do, it comes up with a dialogue box saying something like

I've found this with IE - the way I get around this is to make sure to never move forward from the search results page. If I find a topic in the results page then I right click on it and choose "Open in New Window". So the topic will appear in a new window and search results page stays as is.
flosso

Postby Oliver » Monday Mar 27, 2006 4:08 pm

Flosso, holding down the Shift key when you click the link will achieve the same result as right clicking and selecting "Open in new window".

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby flosso » Monday Mar 27, 2006 4:48 pm

Thanks for that mate - learn something new every day!
flosso

Return to Forum support and suggestions