Chasing up empty long necks

Homebrewers and beer lovers, use this forum to sell, give away and seek supplies and equipment. If you are selling something on eBay post a link here.

Postby raccoon » Monday Nov 15, 2004 1:14 pm

A couple of months ago went out bush do a bit of prospecting didn`t find any gold, but the next best thing old beer bottles :D we come across an old mine site or wood cutters camp,unfortunatly lots were broken or small chips on top,but managed to find 57 good ones,some bottles have 1929 stamped on the bottom,it took some cleaning though.Now i`m regularly going out bush looking for camp sites and bottles.
raccoon

Postby Clintsc9 » Monday Nov 15, 2004 11:11 pm

Didn't Innamincka once have the largest deposit of empty beer bottles in the world?
Then one year the Cooper Creek flooded and washed them all away. Cooper Creek flows into Lake Eyre.
Anyone want to set up an expedition?
Clint
Clintsc9

Postby gregb » Saturday Dec 04, 2004 5:12 am

Back to the question are Rolltops better than Twisttops.

Last night while moving a not full crate two bottles tipped and caught the tops on the tops of some other bottles in front. The rolltop no problem, the twist top 'ssssssssssssss' lid had been dislodged. :(

An observation only, and I will still use the twisties, but I definatley think the rolly is better. And I will be more careful.

Cheers

Greg.
gregb

Postby Marty » Saturday Dec 04, 2004 10:04 am

You can buy longnecks on eBay. If you search for home brew you will come up with a couple of people selling longnecks around a dollar a bottle.

Marty
Marty

Postby beerboy » Wednesday May 04, 2005 9:01 pm

Sorry this is a reply to an old post. But just can't help bragging about my bottles (Get a life for Christs sake) which I collected mostly at the dump or tip, what ever you want to call it. This was about 8 years ago at the Miami dump on the Gold Coast. The good old days when xxxx was still using roll tops. I have a healthy collection of about 300 longnecks (roll tops) now. I dropped out of homebrewing for about 5 years but never threw my old bottles out, thank God. I remember washing these bottles after picking them up from the dump, a lot of household bleach and let soak over night. I'm back into it now and very glad I have these fine quality old fashioned bottles. Seems strange saying something is old fashioned from 8 years ago, I think xxxx went to the screw tops just after that.
beerboy

Postby Guest » Thursday May 05, 2005 9:41 am

Some good European beers are now imported in 500ml crown seals e.g. Dortmunder Hansa, plus numerous Polish lager/pilsners, all of which I have found to be good, plus Weistephaner beers (all of which are excellent). 500 ml is an acceptable size (to me, in order to get crown seals). Of course, this means I have to buy lots of different beers from Dan Murphy's, but, if you have a hobby, you have to be prepared to make sacrifices occasionally.
Most Asian countries in still bottle in crown seals, typically 620 to 660ml (although San Mig Pale Pils is in 1 litre!). Pity that importers ususally only bring in the 330 or thereabouts crown seal versions (but I bring home the occasional empty souvenir if it is an interesting bottle e.g. the 1 litre San Mig, Bintang in 620(?) green, Kingfisher in choice of brown, green or clear (I ignore these), ...
Grolsch are available in Australia in 355 crown, approx 500 swing top, and 1.5 litre swing top: I have some of each.

peterd

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday May 05, 2005 11:30 am

Peter,

Nice point with the Grolsch.

They are a bit short of 500 mls from my experience to and I thought I was being seen off.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby peterd » Thursday May 05, 2005 1:45 pm

Dogger,
I recall that the fine print on the bottle claims something like 485, but I am not exact with this (and all of mine have had their labels removed - except one remaining 1.5 litre that I am saving for some occasion like some-one to share it with :-) ).
I have drunk homebrews done in the Grolsch swing tops (the smaller ones) several years after putting down, with no problems, so they certainly seal well (I replace the seals regularly).

peterd
peterd

Cheap tallies

Postby tyrone » Saturday May 07, 2005 10:32 pm

The trash and treasure shop at the local tip sells tallies for 20c a dozen.Maybe a ring around to the tips at smaller towns to locate a good source and a day trip with a mate to share expenses might be a good idea.
Drinking: wheat
listening to:80's greatest hits
tyrone

Postby Andrew » Monday May 09, 2005 3:18 pm

Just kept all roll tops I've drunk over the years.

I'm a fan of the 500ml bottles. Good size.
Andrew

Postby peterd » Wednesday May 11, 2005 10:25 am

just posted roll-top longneck availability Gold Coast under Bargain Bin: did I pick the wrong spot?

peterd
peterd

Postby Oliver » Wednesday May 11, 2005 12:07 pm

Oliver
Administrator

Postby Wimmig » Monday May 16, 2005 12:16 am

ashy wrote:I have tried a variety of bottles. I still use the 600 ml coke bottles and have only ever had one go bad. I normally only bottle about 10 plastic bottles and drink these first as like is mentioned I don't think they would last 6 months in the bottle. I then leave the rest of the brew which has been bottled in a mixture of stubbies and longnkecks for a later date and move onto the next lot of pet bottles in line. I have lost a few of the coopers 700 ml pet bottles that have split but never a 600 ml coke bottle.

A good thing about bottling in the 600 ml coke bottles is that you can take these to parties or give them away to friends and not be worried about losing your bottles. I only every use the same plastic bottle twice before tossing it

Ashy
Ashy

PET plastic bottles have a lifetime gas-pressure seal of ~ 2 years. This is dependant on a number of factors.

A) You use correct sealing force to seal the contents.
B) They are stored within the long term storage temp. range.
C) The lids (with seal inserts) are new, and without thread damage.

On the note of buying glass bottles, why not get them local? Here in Sydney brand new thick walled 750ml glass bottles are readily available from local home brew stores at around $1.75 - $2.50 each.
Wimmig

Postby Daron » Friday May 20, 2005 12:32 pm

I've got a stack of swing top bottles. Saves the capping problem. Old Grolsch and euro beers from wife's Opa, and old german home brewer. He's given a way the caper these days but his bottles are a ripper...
NOw I just save my Coopers stubbies. I chcucked about 2 dozen long necks becasue they kept cracking when I capped, but it was also becuase of a crappy hadn capper. Now I've got a proper bench capper, called Warwick (loser I know) and all's well in that dept.
Wife says all I care about is beer and footy... she's right!
Daron

Postby tommo » Tuesday May 31, 2005 8:13 pm

I recently put a flyer in a new HBS window '' Roll Top Tallies Wntd'', two nights later a bloke rang and said he has 28 doz in crates $5. doz. Plus numerous roll top stubbies. :D

I really don't think I need all of them so if anyone is interested.

I understand distance, freight, etc are all a pain in the a%$e but thought it would be a shame to let these go begging when so many blokes are hunting for them.

tommo
tommo

Postby Redsicks » Monday Jun 27, 2005 9:59 am

I got back into brewing again after an 11 year break. Spewing that I put my rolled neck Stubbies & Tallies in the recycling years ago. I Had to find new ones. A quick look on eBay found me 80+ rolled neck 750ml bottles for $6.00 , well worth the 1 1/2 hour round trip to pick them up.

They do turn up on the net at times but sometimes people are asking just too much.

Cheers - Redsicks
Redsicks

Postby Conrad » Monday Jun 27, 2005 11:33 am

Was also doing a search on EBay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=563&item=6189657217&rd=1

60 750ml longnecks, Forrest Lakes, Queensland.

Too bad Im down here in Vic, but thought you northern brewers might be interested. Bidding is only at $5 and there are 6 days left.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer!
Conrad

Postby The Brown Hornet » Thursday Aug 11, 2005 12:23 pm

raccoon wrote:.. didn`t find any gold, but the next best thing old beer bottles :D ...

Raccoon,

I spend a lot of my time working in the bush east of Kalgoorlie, and like you, have found it to be an absolute gold mine for old long necks. Between the other lads that I work with and I we've collected over 200 just by driving slowly along the road and stopping to pick up those you see.

If you're prepared to do a bit of work to get all the old red dirt out of the buggers it's an excellent way to get old long necks.
When One's Too Many and a Thousand Not Enough
The Brown Hornet

Postby Redsicks » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 10:31 am

The old bottles turn up when you least expect them...
Last weekend we were at a mud run an hour from Melbourne & saw a pile of old rubbish in the bushes near where us spectators were standing.
When everyone went for lunch I had a quick scrounge & nearly creamed my pants when I uncovered 11 crownseal longnecks & 30 crownseal stubbies.
Plenty more there I recon... Just had to stop 'cause people were coming back from lunch & I didn't want to look like a tip rat.
Next time the races are on I'll be taking a big garbo bag.

Bit of bottle washing to do now though
Proost - Redsicks
Redsicks

Postby Redsicks » Tuesday Aug 16, 2005 10:33 am

When did CUB stop using "rolled top" crownseals in their longneck & stubbies?
Proost - Redsicks
Redsicks

PreviousNext

Return to Buy, swap and sell