AFL anyone

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Re: AFL anyone

Postby SimonG » Saturday Apr 09, 2011 11:51 pm

bullfrog wrote:Mate, I'm picking a Saints/Pies grand final, now. Don't think the Dogs quite have it in them to topple the Saints and I'm sure as hell hoping that the Saints can come in over Collingwood.

Ever overheard a Collingwood supporter try to order a beer, or even try to hold a normal conversation in a social setting? It's almost like a step-back in time to when Neanderthals would engage in aggressive mono-syllabic interchanges about which one of them got the good bit of mammoth for his dinner. A pre-Cro Magnon intellect seems to be a prerequesite to purchase any Collingwood attire and they seem to wear their anti-intellectualism as some kind of badge of honour more proudly than they wear their black & white stripes. Go to anywhere that Magpies supporters congregate in great numbers and you are bound to see more unkempt facial hair than the days of the Last Supper. I'm sure that even Judas Iscariot would look down his nose at the bulk of the Collingwood fanbase, not only due to their appearance but also based on their lack of scruples and social graces.

Here endeth the rant.

:D

Don't be too harsh on Collingwood supporters, one of them actually did something useful once.
Did you know that a Collingwood supporter actually invented tooth paste?
The reason that I know this is because if any other team's supporters invented it they would have called it teeth paste :lol: :lol: :lol:
SimonG

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Apr 10, 2011 12:35 am

SimonG wrote:
bullfrog wrote:Mate, I'm picking a Saints/Pies grand final, now. Don't think the Dogs quite have it in them to topple the Saints and I'm sure as hell hoping that the Saints can come in over Collingwood.

Ever overheard a Collingwood supporter try to order a beer, or even try to hold a normal conversation in a social setting? It's almost like a step-back in time to when Neanderthals would engage in aggressive mono-syllabic interchanges about which one of them got the good bit of mammoth for his dinner. A pre-Cro Magnon intellect seems to be a prerequesite to purchase any Collingwood attire and they seem to wear their anti-intellectualism as some kind of badge of honour more proudly than they wear their black & white stripes. Go to anywhere that Magpies supporters congregate in great numbers and you are bound to see more unkempt facial hair than the days of the Last Supper. I'm sure that even Judas Iscariot would look down his nose at the bulk of the Collingwood fanbase, not only due to their appearance but also based on their lack of scruples and social graces.

Here endeth the rant.

:D

Don't be too harsh on Collingwood supporters, one of them actually did something useful once.
Did you know that a Collingwood supporter actually invented tooth paste?
The reason that I know this is because if any other team's supporters invented it they would have called it teeth paste :lol: :lol: :lol:

C'mon be fair!
I once saw a big fat and ugly Collingwood supporter with two teeth.
Tipsy

Postby rotten » Tuesday May 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Going to see Port lose misearably to the Mighty Hawks at Aami this Friday, Hopefully :shock:

If Hawks lose AGAIN in SA, I may have to stop going to the footy :cry:

CARN HAWKERS :!:

Pwease :mrgreen:

edit: missed a word
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday May 04, 2011 4:36 am

Don't think you'll be disappointed, Rotten. Port even lost to the Suns!
bullfrog

Postby emnpaul » Wednesday May 04, 2011 5:39 pm

I feel your pain Rotten.

Don't think the Hawks have won in SA since about round 19 2008? before that I couldn't tell you, but totally crap record in SA which is exceeded in crappiness only by their record in Sydney. I've been to every Hawks game there since 1999, at a cost of hundereds and I if memory serves me correctly they've won once. Think it was back in 2003. To put it in context Spider Everitt, Nick Holland and Nathan Thompson all played for Hawthorn in that game!

Oh well, on the 22nd of this month I can pay my $45 in petrol, $3.30 bridge toll, $6.00 Eastern Distributor toll, $20.00 parking and 80 odd dollars for inflated food and beer prices in the probably vain hope they'll pull of a once in a decade upset.

So, belive me, I feel your pain, but I just can't stop going back for more.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Oliver » Wednesday May 04, 2011 5:51 pm

rotten wrote:Going to see Port lose misearably to the Mighty Hawks at Aami this Friday, Hopefully :shock:

It will be a beautiful thing, I'm sure. A win over 20 goals will keep me happy. Or a loss with a kick after the siren.

Can you tell I'm not a Port fan? :-)
Oliver
Administrator

Postby bullfrog » Saturday May 07, 2011 8:37 am

Guessing you had a big night, Rotten? Told you it'd be nothing to worry about!
bullfrog

Postby rotten » Saturday May 07, 2011 5:25 pm

OMG!! certainly did it the hard way. Sat with Hawks cheer squad with family. Fantastic to get a win at aami for a change. Last win was in 2008 when we won the flag. Got home at 3 this morning and up at 7 for kid commitments. Tired lad today I tell ya. I love Coffee :lol:
Cheers

P.S. I was slightly speeding on the way home, got pulled over. The Officer let me off after a breath test, which I passed of course as I had drunk nothing all night, because he was a Hawks supporter. Thankyou kind sir.
rotten

Postby drsmurto » Saturday May 07, 2011 10:45 pm

He was hardly going to be a port supporter. You need an IQ at least in the double digits to be a policeman (and a max of 20 in my experience)......
drsmurto

Postby Tourist » Monday May 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Oh we're from TIGERLAND!

Finally some good signs from the up-and-coming tigers. I may even develop a genuine interest in September footy for a change!
Back off man, I'm a tourist.
Tourist

Postby emnpaul » Thursday May 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Can't believe my luck :D

My wife entered a competition on facebook for my daughter to run through the Hawks banner at the SCG this Saturday and she won!!!

Fingers crossed the Hawks have a win but will be worth the trip down anyway.

Go Hawks
emnpaul

Postby rotten » Thursday May 19, 2011 7:29 pm

Hope they have a win for ya mate. Been a long time between drinks up there.

Carn the Mighty Hawks :wink:
rotten

Postby rotten » Sunday May 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Weeare a Happy Team At Hawthorn :lol:

Hope you had a good day emnpaul.
Cheers
rotten

Postby Oliver » Sunday May 22, 2011 9:07 pm

It was looking like an almost-perfect footy weekend until the 11-goal last quarter by the Pies. Crows were heading for a win, Port "Power" lost and are bottom of the ladder and the Port Magpies lost by 100 points. Then something happened with Collingwood. I'm still not sure what.

And WTF is with the Bulldogs? 124-point loss. 10-goal-to-no score last quarter. Amazing.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby big dave » Monday May 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Tourist wrote:Oh we're from TIGERLAND!

Finally some good signs from the up-and-coming tigers. I may even develop a genuine interest in September footy for a change!

I hear yer T.

Took the kids on Saturday night. Unfortunately we had to queue with the other 83,000 to get in thru gate 1, so we missed almost the entire 1st quarter. Sweeter still because SWMBO is a bombers girl.... :mrgreen:

Nice when the tiges have a win, better when they pants the bombers!!
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby wrighty » Monday May 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Eagles were awsome yesterday,but the Dogs were shite.Now for the Magpies,talking this up as a blockbuster who would of thought that at the
start of the year :shock: Oh well when your the raining spooners the only way is up baby!! Big ask for the boys at the G but i reckon they will
have a red hot go. CARN THE EAGLES!!
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby emnpaul » Monday May 23, 2011 8:03 pm

rotten wrote:Weeare a Happy Team At Hawthorn :lol:

Hope you had a good day emnpaul.
Cheers

Maaate. Best day ever. Millie held Luke Hodges hand while running through the banner, Brendon Whitecross gave her a signed footy after the game and the Hawks had a rare and convincing win over the Swans in Sydney. SWMBO (Em) even got her mug on telly in the last quarter celebrating a goal.

Awesome! :D

Looking forward to next Sunday when the Hawks take on a hopefully still floundering Western Bulldogs at Etihad in the late game.

Big Dave Wrote:
Nice when the tiges have a win, better when they pants the bombers!!

The only time I don't hope the Bombers get pantsed is when the play Collingwood. In which case I hope for a draw. :lol:

Cheers
Paul
emnpaul

Postby SuperBroo » Tuesday May 24, 2011 1:42 pm

going to melbourne next weekend to watch the nephew and his mates (freo) kick hawthorns ass at the G :)

are there any craft brew pubs close (walking distance) to the G we can get a meal and a brew ?

cheers to All.
SuperBroo

Postby Planner » Tuesday May 24, 2011 2:10 pm

SuperBroo wrote:are there any craft brew pubs close (walking distance) to the G we can get a meal and a brew ?cheers to All.

Mountain Goat are in Richmond, not quite walking distance, but a quick tram ride down Bridge Rd to the G, or else Mrs Parmas in the top end of the city (bout 10min walk to the ground.)
Better book though, the bumper crowd at that game could cause some congestion :lol:

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby Oliver » Tuesday May 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Not sure whether MG is open on on weekends (Freo game is Sunday). Check out Mrs Parma's by all means. Cookie in Swanston St is great. Excellent range of beer and excellent modern Thai food. It's a bit further from the G than Mrs Parma's but not by much. Beer de Luxe in Federation Square is another possibility. I haven't been there for quite some time so perhaps someone else can comment.

If you're looking for places a little further afield, check out Biero in Little Lonsdale Street (near Parliament Station and the law courts), although it's not open on Sundays, or the Great Northern in North Carlton, which has some very interesting beers on tap and in bottles.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion