living in australia

Other topics - beer-related or not.

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 8:17 pm

rotten wrote:
bullfrog wrote:Jumpers in Summer and we're getting a bloody carbon tax! How friggen cold do Julia Gillard and Bob Brown want the place to be?

I'm up at @ 4.30am every morning and refuse to wear jeans or jumper from October onwards, it's just not australian. I'd rather be cold for an hour or so.
Toughen up princess :wink:

I didn't vote for Bob Brown either but he's still our prime minister :x
Bugger

Second time I'm typing this in the space of a week, but I just lol'd.

And to lob, you do understand that governments are more-or-less glorified PR companies, right? The response I made to Bum earlier still stands.

And to say that the entire scientific community supports the theory that man-made CO2 emissions contributes to climate change just shows that you aren't very well versed on the argument at hand.
bullfrog

Re: living in australia

Postby lob » Friday Dec 23, 2011 4:36 am

bullfrog wrote:And to say that the entire scientific community supports the theory that man-made CO2 emissions contributes to climate change just shows that you aren't very well versed on the argument at hand.

Ooops, I forgot about that bloke who works for Exxon Mobile. And Lord Nutcase is always credible:

Lord Nutcase wrote:Honestly, it really is this big.
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

Postby barrelboy » Friday Dec 23, 2011 5:27 am

Hi all, my 2 bob's worth - why are we Australians going to pay a carbon tax when we've sold everything!! Make them pay ha ha.
Cheers BB :shock: :D
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby Bum » Friday Dec 23, 2011 8:21 am

bullfrog wrote:EDIT: And I hardly see it fitting that you would lump in governments as a group that could stand to gain from fossil fuel usage, as half of my point has remained that the current Australian government is using the ant-fossil fuel movement to their own (/Bob Brown's) ends.

You obviously don't pay much attention to politics. This entire issue has been political suicide has always was going to be from the outset and would have been for any government because this issue is unavoidable because it is real.

I'll leave yo to it.
Bum

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Friday Dec 23, 2011 9:41 am

Bum wrote:
bullfrog wrote:EDIT: And I hardly see it fitting that you would lump in governments as a group that could stand to gain from fossil fuel usage, as half of my point has remained that the current Australian government is using the ant-fossil fuel movement to their own (/Bob Brown's) ends.

You obviously don't pay much attention to politics. This entire issue has been political suicide has always was going to be from the outset and would have been for any government because this issue is unavoidable because it is real.

I'll leave yo to it.

What nonsense. The only political suicide would have been for the Labor party to NOT push the agenda, as they would have lost the support of the Greens and, in so, lost power.

You don't remember the very explicit pre-election promise to not introduce a carbon price? You don't remember how that instantly became null and void the second the election was hung and Julia needed to drop her pants to gain the support of Bob Brown and the couple of independents?

The argument that the government are taking these unpopular steps, therefore the issue must be real and serious, is a ridiculous leap. Their change in policy was an entirely political move, not a scientific or environmental one.

I do pay attention to politics. I won't suggest that you don't, but perhaps that your memory of it all isn't that long.

Y'know, just sayin'...
bullfrog

Postby lob » Friday Dec 23, 2011 10:37 am

You're BOTH right. Labor did lie at the last election. Labor is screwed whatever it now does. If they didn't introduce a reasonable carbon tax then Labor would have lost support of the Greens but also support of the inner city Lefties [the one's that can easily switch to the Greens, or even the Libs if Turnbull is elected leader.] And Now that they have introduced the tax, they've lost credibility, lost some of their traditional blue collar base, pissed of some (but not all) businesses. (It's good for anyone in the renewables sector, and does create some certainty.) Expect 2012 to be a Julia vs Kevin soap opera.

Let's all agree to disagree. I'm naming the next beer I brew 'Climategate Pale.' :wink:
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Friday Dec 23, 2011 11:08 am

lob wrote:Let's all agree to disagree. I'm naming the next beer I brew 'Climategate Pale.' :wink:

I'm going to make one of those, too. I bet mine is more reasoned and less inclined to fear-monger than yours! :P
bullfrog

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Dec 24, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm not clever enough to know if climate change is real or not so I do have to trust the overall consensus.
What I'm really pissed off about is the fact that the government thinks it is too big an issue for people like me to have a say about it.

I have a problem with governments thinking the only way to fix a problem is to tax it.
When they bought the alcopop tax in I bought a bottle of bourbon for a poker night to save money.
I ended up drinking the whole bottle, losing all my money and suffering a massive hangover :)
Tipsy

Postby rotten » Saturday Dec 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Even with our stupid political predicament, australia is still the best place in the world to live.
If it's not, go back home :o
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Previous

Return to General discussion