living in australia

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Postby Boozer » Monday Feb 06, 2006 6:29 pm

So what do you plan to study in Australia, Munkey??

Spelling & grammar I hope!!!! :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:
Boozer

Re:

Postby gregb » Wednesday Dec 21, 2011 10:13 am

goatsby wrote:Well here are the details greg The brisbane Lesbian Vampire Murder

took place in Australia in 1991 in the case of Tracey Wigginton. In October 1989 Wigginton, her lover Lisa Ptaschinski and two female friends Kim Jervis and Tracey Waugh lured Edward Baldock into a local park with the promise of sexual favours. Instead Wigginton stabbed him so many times that he was virtually decapitated. During their trial the three other women claimed that Wigginton was a vampire and craved a large 'feed' for human blood. Despite a more logical diagnosis of Multiple Personality Disorder by two prison psychiatrists during the 14 months before her trial, the media tapped into society's fears of the supernatural and went to town with 'lesbian vampire' headlines. A Mental Health Tribunal rejected the MPD diagnosis and Wigginton was deemed fit to stand trial. She pleaded guilty and to this date is serving a life sentence in Queensland

Edward Baldock was enjoying a Friday night at the Caledonian Club having a few drinks, then picked up and killed by lesbian vampire killers.
Not a nice way to go.

As usual people in Brisbane tried to hush it up, but it was a big story in southern states.

On a personal note i thought Kim Jervis was rather attractive, I was going to write to her in prison offering to cure her lesbianism.

They've let one of 'em out.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-21/vampire-killer-granted-parole/3741928
gregb

Re: living in australia

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Dec 21, 2011 10:57 am

That's quite a memory you've got Greg, remembering this thread after almost six years!

Clearly your brain is not as addled by beer as mine :-)

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Longwood-65 » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 12:53 pm

An Old Story but probably very true.

DIARY OF A POMMIE IN WESTERN AUSTRALIA

August 31
Just got transferred with work from Leeds UK to our new home in Karratha , Western Australia ..
Now this is a town that knows how to live!
Beautiful, sunny days and warm, balmy evenings.
I watched the sunset from a deckchair by our pool yesterday.
It was beautiful.
I've finally found my new home.
I love it here.

September 13
Really heating up now.
It got to 31 today.
No problem though.
Living in air-conditioned home, driving air-conditioned car.
What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this.
I'm turning into a sun-worshipper - no blasted rain like back in Leeds !!

September 30
Had the back yard landscaped with tropical plants today.
Lots of palms and rocks.
No more mowing lawns for me!
Another scorcher today, but I love it here.
It's Paradise !

October 10
The temperature hasn't been below 35 all week.
How do people get used to this kind of heat?
At least today it's windy though.
Keeps the flies off a bit.
Acclimatizing is taking longer than we expected.

October 15
Fell asleep by the pool yesterday.
Got third degree burns over 60% of my body.
Missed three days off work.
What a dumb thing to do..
Got to respect the old sun in a climate like this!

October 20
- Didn't notice Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car before I left for work this morning.
By the time I got back to the car after work, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stuck to the upholstery.
The car now smells like Whiskettes and cat shit.
I've learned my lesson though: no more pets in this heat.

October 25
- This wind is a bastard.
It feels like a giant f---ing blow dryer.
And it's hot as hell!
The home air conditioner is on the blink and the repair man charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needs to order parts from f---ing Perth .......The wife & the kids are complaining.

October 30
- The temperature's up around 40 and the parts still haven't arrived for the f---ing air conditioner.
House is an oven so we've all been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now.
Bloody $600,000 house and we can't even go inside.
Why the hell did I ever come here?

November 4
Finally got the f---ing air-conditioner fixed. It cost $1,500 and gets the temperature down to around 25 degrees, but the humidity makes it feel about 35.
Stupid repairman.
f---ing thief.

November 8
- If one more smart bastard says 'Hot enough for you today?'
I'm going to f---ing throttle him.
f---ing heat!
By the time I get to work, the car radiator is boiling over, my f---ing clothes are soaking f---ing wet and I smell like baked cat.
f---ing place is the end of the Earth.

November 9
- Tried to run some errands after work, wore shorts, and sat on the black leather upholstery in my car.
I thought my f---ing arse was on fire.
I lost 2 layers of flesh, all the hair on the backs of my legs and off my f---ing arse.
Now the car smells like burnt hair, fried arse and baked cat.
f---. f---. f---.

November 10
-- The Weather report might as well be a f---ing recording..
Hot and sunny.
Hot and sunny, Hot and f---ing sunny.
It never f---ing changes!
It's been too hot to do anything for 2 f---ing months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week.
f---!

November 15
- Doesn't it ever rain in this damn f---ing place?
Water restrictions will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms might just dry up and blow into the f---ing pool.
The only things that thrive in this f---ing hell-hole are the f---ing flies.
You don't dare open your mouth for fear of swallowing half a dozen of the little bastards!

November 20
- Welcome to HELL!
It got to 45 fuckin' degrees today.
Now the air conditioner gone in my car.
The repair man came to fix it and said, 'Hot enough for you today?'
I wanted to shove the f---ing car up his f---ing arse.
Anyway, had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail me out of jail for assaulting the stupid prick.
f---ing Karratha!
What kind of sick, demented f---ing idiot would want to live here!

December 1
- WHAT!!!! The FIRST day of Summer!!!!
You are f---ing kidding me!
Longwood-65

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Sounds like the whinging Geordie would've felt more at home in Sydney. Someone forgot to tell the weather here that it's supposed to be Summer. I've been wearing jumpers and even put the thermal lining back into my bike jacket.

Jumpers in Summer and we're getting a bloody carbon tax! How friggen cold do Julia Gillard and Bob Brown want the place to be?
bullfrog

Postby lob » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Because it's climate change not global warming. Yeah, overall, the climate will (on average) become warmer; In fact, so far, almost every year this century has broken all previous records. [I think Bolt, Jones, Lord Nutcase et al have a perfectly valid explanation for this though along the lines of sun spots, or corrupt scientists inventing data, etc.)

Climatologists have always said their computer modelling shows more extreme weather patterns. It's perfectly in keeping with the modelling that next year could be one of the coldest on record...but on average expect every decade to be hotter and more extreme than the previous decade. (Storms, droughts, flooding, higher sea levels, accelerated melting of the ice caps, etc, etc.)

Thank God for beer, it help keep me in denial about what's really going on.

If you have a chance, have a look at this book. It might put the recent GFC [with predictions for a lot more economic upheaval to come], and politician/economist BS about Growth in better perspective:

http://paulgilding.com/the-great-disruption
Broome Pale Ale. WA's Finest Craft Beer.
lob

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 4:02 pm

The "perfectly logical" explanation of climate change is simply that the world is still recovering from the last ice age.

The increase in global temperature is nothing that hasn't been seen on Earth before many, many times. Just because humans haven't been there to experience the last few times that our planet's meteorology went through this cycle doesn't mean that it hasn't happened before, that it isn't natural, nor that we or our coal-burning ways are the cause.

There is more than ample evidence to suggest that the global average temperature should be increasing decade upon decade. Hell, there is more than ample evidence to suggest that even ice precipitation (snow) is abnormal on Earth, if looking at its history as a planet as a whole. And the fact that we can still pop out to Thredbo each June to hit the slopes would lead to the logical conclusion that the world is still too cold and will, by natural means, keep heating up.

Al Gore certainly knows how to spin a line to earn a buck, and it's you and I that are paying it. Add to that the fact that those with a decidedly left-wing alignment have seen the whole load of nonsense as a way to push their political views ("we'll tax the big businesses and give that money back to the average house-holders" is nothing more than Marxist wealth redistribution) and we're all taken for a ride that detrimentally effects the average Australian and our national economy to boot.

Lord Lawson said it best; "Green has become the new Red."

/rant
bullfrog

Postby Bum » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 4:28 pm

bullfrog wrote:The increase in global temperature is nothing that hasn't been seen on Earth before many, many times. Just because humans haven't been there to experience the last few times that our planet's meteorology went through this cycle doesn't mean that it hasn't happened before, that it isn't natural, nor that we or our coal-burning ways are the cause.

Very keen to hear why, after centuries of recorded weather observation by Man, records only show this "natural" pattern occurring since Industrialisation.
Bum

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Bum wrote:
bullfrog wrote:The increase in global temperature is nothing that hasn't been seen on Earth before many, many times. Just because humans haven't been there to experience the last few times that our planet's meteorology went through this cycle doesn't mean that it hasn't happened before, that it isn't natural, nor that we or our coal-burning ways are the cause.

Very keen to hear why, after centuries of recorded weather observation by Man, records only show this "natural" pattern occurring since Industrialisation.

Very keen to hear the source of that assertion.

Arguments based specifically on historical recording of average global temperatures can only reasonably go back a (relatively) small time, after all, as one can't be expected to trust the scientific approach or methods employed by some chap staring at the sky "centuries" ago.

To that end, let's start our gaugings at the beginning of the 18th Century (even though it could still be argued that scientific method was still rather lacking in the 1700's, I'll humour you) there is still hardly enough decades worth of pre-industrial results there to establish a pattern of any kind, let alone one that could reasonably be used to present a comparison to those collected post-industrialisation.

To make that argument is simply employing confirmation bias and would be fallacious.

Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, some just find it convenient to spin it that way.
bullfrog

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Make sure you keep this discussion nice, chaps ;-)

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Oliver wrote:Make sure you keep this discussion nice, chaps ;-)

Cheers,

Oliver

Of course. I've nothing but respect for Bum, and know that he, like me, likes a good debate.
bullfrog

Postby lob » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 5:52 pm

This is one of the most comprehensive articles on climate change:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11462-climate-change-a-guide-for-the-perplexed.html

Bit of late night reading for the willing skeptic :wink:
lob

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 6:08 pm

bullfrog wrote:Al Gore certainly knows how to spin a line to earn a buck, and it's you and I that are paying it.

Damn Right he does. Al gore is nothing more than an egotistical crusader who wants his name up in lights. He's tried that crap before, only with less spectacular results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pvmyNnepTk

The champagne comedy starts about the four minute mark.

Lob, this one's for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl47z2g2EvI :wink:
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 6:38 pm

lob wrote:This is one of the most comprehensive articles on climate change:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11462-climate-change-a-guide-for-the-perplexed.html

Bit of late night reading for the willing skeptic :wink:

It's interesting that you would link to New Scientist. I'll admit that a lot of what has built my understanding of the debate has been gleaned from that publication over the years (my wife has a subscription and also is currently studying archaeology and paleoanthropology (after getting bored of law) so a lot has also come from her textbooks.)

We will have to agree to disagree on the matter, if for no other reason than that that's the state of affairs within the scientific community currently. That being so, however, makes legislation and increased taxation that hangs such a huge dagger over the average Aussie household, and national economy as a whole, entirely unconscionable. If there is evidence both ways and no clear-cut and widely accepted answer to the question "Does carbon dioxide have an adverse effect on the Earth's environment?" then using that as a premise to knowingly burn the country's people and businesses should hardly be legal.

I certainly didn't vote for Julia and was pretty impressed when Tony managed to go so far as to cause a hung election. How I wish now that it had just been a clear win either way, so that Bob Brown could've just stayed as some tool that nobody has ever voted for, instead of becoming the puppet-master to a government more concerned with maintaining power than keeping their dignity.
bullfrog

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 6:49 pm

I still like turtles.
chadjaja

Postby lob » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 6:54 pm

You are right about Labor; they stabbed Rudd in the back and lied to the electorate purely to prevent the Libs being able to push the Carbon Tax line.

Btw interesting article on 7.30 Report right now. It'll be up on iView later.
lob

Postby Bum » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 7:14 pm

bullfrog wrote:Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, some just find it convenient to spin it that way.

Yes, this is true - but it should be noted that everyone who has a benefit in taking such a position stopped spinning that garbage years ago (ie. fossil fuel industry, governments). It is just the Andrew Bolts of this world who cling to it.
Bum

living in australia

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Bum wrote:
bullfrog wrote:Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, some just find it convenient to spin it that way.

Yes, this is true - but it should be noted that everyone who has a benefit in taking such a position stopped spinning that garbage years ago (ie. fossil fuel industry, governments). It is just the Andrew Bolts of this world who cling to it.

So now the argument is based on the PR departments of vast multinational corporations swinging their companies to follow the popular view-point? Nobody wants to see the planet fall to bits, so why take a stance that could cause people to say that that's what your goal is?

Hardly a scientific argument.

EDIT: And I hardly see it fitting that you would lump in governments as a group that could stand to gain from fossil fuel usage, as half of my point has remained that the current Australian government is using the ant-fossil fuel movement to their own (/Bob Brown's) ends.
bullfrog

Postby rotten » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 7:42 pm

bullfrog wrote:Jumpers in Summer and we're getting a bloody carbon tax! How friggen cold do Julia Gillard and Bob Brown want the place to be?

I'm up at @ 4.30am every morning and refuse to wear jeans or jumper from October onwards, it's just not australian. I'd rather be cold for an hour or so.
Toughen up princess :wink:

I didn't vote for Bob Brown either but he's still our prime minister :x
Bugger
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby lob » Thursday Dec 22, 2011 7:57 pm

There's not a single Government scientific body/organisation in any country on the entire planet that doesn't back the claim that man made climate change is real, started with human industrialisation 200 years ago, and is accelerating as India, China, and Brazil continue to grown at a phenomenal rate. If climate change was in doubt, you would expect one group of scientists in at least one country on the planet somewhere, anywhere, in some small Central American country perhaps, to tell their government, "na, this is a load of bollocks. It's just Al Gore and his cronies trying to sell a few books or get some more research grants." The only ones creating the idea that the science is still in doubt [or indeed discredited/disproved] are a few journalists and radio jocks, large corporations who benefit from selling fossil fuels, and politicians who are often [usually] in the pocket of large corporations. The way they spin all this in the popular press to whip up concerns about new taxes or interfering governments telling them what type of light bulb they can install, etc is hilarious. How dare they tell you what light bulb you can install!
lob

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion