living in australia

Other topics - beer-related or not.

Postby Evo » Monday Mar 28, 2005 2:14 pm

I must say I've got to disagree with you guys on your travel advice for our mate Munkey. The lads are half right Munkey, Aussies really don't like a whinging Pom, but in my opinion, what we hate more is a snivelly crawler ("Oh yes, I think Australia's a much better country). I reckon you should go the other way Munkey. If you see anything that you think is better in the old d'art (mother England to us colonials), pipe right up and let us know. "<insert noun here> is much better back in the UK.", "You call that <noun> ? Pah ! Back home blah blah blah..."

Granted you are going to be hard pressed to find anything in Australia that isn't better than its Pommie equivilent, but when you do... Honestly, you might get a few stern glances, but you'll be respected in the long run, by yourself and by us for not selling out.

I remember one day at the cricket. England v Australia, one dayer. The barmy army were in fine form. A memorable ditty, albeit a simple one, was there rendition of God Save the Queen. Instead of singing God save our gracious queen, long live our noble queen, they replaced all the "our" with "your". It went down a treat. Mind you, we absolutely schooled your asses with the willow on the field, but the barmy army were outright winners in the wind up stakes.

We respect that.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby r.magnay » Monday Mar 28, 2005 3:10 pm

Never been there Dogger, but what I have heard about the place you are quite possibly right. Bit too cold for my old desert bones though, we get about six weeks of cold weather here, What we call cold anyway, or though it does get down below Zero for a short time most years, during the winter it is cool and in the summer it is hot!! in the 20c area in winter 35c-45c in summer. I love it!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby Clintsc9 » Monday Mar 28, 2005 5:49 pm

Ross, you are one lucky bugger living in the Alice. Love that place.
I used to travel through there quite a lot and never had any problem getting anything fixed - there and then. If the first place I tried couldn't do it they were always happy to recommend someone else who could. A great service town for the tourist industry.

The weather is great, if a tad cold in winter, the scenery awesome, the people friendly. And the highways have no speed limits. 8)

Munkey, you could do a lot worse than take your expertise there.

BTW Alice Todd, after whom Alice Springs was named, is my great great aunty. Died before I was born but my Mum remembers being 'presented' to great aunt Alice when she was a little girl. Alice gave Mum a gift of a jade ring which she still has.
Clint
Clintsc9

Postby munkey » Monday Mar 28, 2005 8:35 pm

yeh i am serious about migrating, i plan to go over ther for a year or so to studdy, and i want to live over there in the end but that depends on a whole bunch of things i suppose,
and evo.. sound advice i sertanly wont blow smoke up anyones arse and winging pom sounds like my sort of title, lol.

im shure the aussys winge about plenty of things, its human nature.

thats good news about the trade thing... my dad was right all along,
munkey

Mines and money

Postby the Baron » Monday Mar 28, 2005 11:25 pm

Mate, if you are looking to make cash in your line of work then the mines are definatly the place to go. Around my district there is a shitload of mines, at Dysart, Nebo and Glendon and others scattered around the place as well as Hay Pont Coal Terminal, the southern hemispheres largest coal terminal. you generally work 4 days on 4 days off or 12 days on 8 days off or 7 days on 5 days off or some other variation that gives you plenty of days off, at the job all your food and accomodation are paid for plus you clear enough cash that you may never homebrew again as you could nearly employ Kerry Packer to brew for you (well maybe not that much but pretty close).
This is the writ of the Baron, thou art truly blessed.
the Baron

Postby munkey » Monday Mar 28, 2005 11:47 pm

if i had that much money i would make a gold fermentor. (shure dogger will have something to say about it`s grain stricture and sanitation)
but thats not the point, it would be the princable.

back to the point, i realy appreciate your input i am having trouble taking all this on board and investigating al the leads people have left me, i feel much happyer that my dream is achevable,
i think i would probably have to stay in sidny as thats ware the uni is i want to go to, but we get about 4 months off in the summer so i would work then, but i may just see out my masters in the uk and emigrate on the strenth of my manual skills,
munkey

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Mar 30, 2005 12:53 pm

Munkey,

I agree with the Baron. Head to Queensland or Western Australia and work in the mines. There's megabucks to be made there.

If I was basing my choice of city purely on lifestyle, I'd choose Adelaide, then Perth. Melbourne, where I live, is No.3, but only because it's too friggin big and housing is expensive.

Adelaide and Perth in particular have good pubs and a great drinking culture, which is an obvious consideration!

Never been to Darwin or Hobart. Brisbane (aka Brisvegas) is too humid for mine, and lacking a bit of class (sorry anyone from Brisbane).

Sydney is way too expensive and way too big. Unless you're earning good money, you'll either be living in the sticks or living near the city and living on bread and water.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby mahaba » Wednesday Mar 30, 2005 2:14 pm

As someone who works in the mines mentioned above I would love to know where all the money is

Bugger, that's right, I'm divorced

Cheers
mahaba

Postby gregb » Saturday Jun 04, 2005 4:15 pm

Munkey,

So when do you fly in?

Greg
gregb

Postby munkey » Sunday Jun 05, 2005 12:18 am

got another 2 years till ill be comeing out for any lenth of time, but depending of the work situation this summer i may have to have a hol down under.
my sister is emigrating to the costa del sol in a few months, she has just gone over to sighn the papers for the house, so its looking more farvorable that i have my jollys there this summer.
and also my pairents in law to be are planning a snowboarding trip in canada someware so i may be involved in that, my womans step mom is form there someware?.
munkey

Postby Australia High Commission » Sunday Jun 12, 2005 10:13 am

Permission denied.
Australia High Commission

Postby munkey » Sunday Jun 12, 2005 8:55 pm

funny you should mention the high commission.. do you have soon to be relatives that run that joint 2 :lol:
munkey

Postby Australia High Commission » Monday Jun 13, 2005 9:17 am

did u ever hear that down under, its hot enough to boil a munkee's bu* ?
(Monty Python actually)

but we have enough munkees here already thanks

and they already know how to do forum searches, so your complete skillset will be surplus. :P
Australia High Commission

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jun 13, 2005 9:26 am

Thats OK Munkey, :(

You are welcome in Canada

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Monday Jun 13, 2005 12:49 pm

Geez, the ol' forum search line gets a few backs up doesn't it ? Next time someone p!sses me off on this forum, I'm gunna tell them to

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/search.php

That'll f%$# em !
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Evo » Monday Jun 13, 2005 3:35 pm

Actually, just went through and read all the posts I missed whilst on hols. It's a great line, Munkey. Really, it is, but ahhh... maybe you've overworked it a tad.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby munkey » Monday Jun 13, 2005 7:50 pm

oh obviously the ruse is holding, note the difforences in our names, this other munkee is trying to discredit me, because i engageed in some banter, and ruffeled a few fethers,
i still stand by my origonal link to the search engin, i feel that was appropreate. (possibly a little harshly put)

as for canada, dogger. its deffonatly high on my list of places to vist and possibly live for a while.

i fancy america 2 but i hate americans,
8) englend victorious "ashes 2005" 8)
munkey

Postby Guest » Tuesday Jun 14, 2005 1:31 pm

> i fancy america 2 but i hate americans,

Wow, 280 million people united only by one thing: Munkey dislikes them all (more or less) equally :-)

Postby Evo » Tuesday Jun 14, 2005 2:26 pm

Yes, our anonymous guest is right. It is bad to lump all Americans into one basket. That said, I think it is human nature to categorise (as politically incorrect as it is). I too had a bit of an adversion to folk from the U.S. of A. Almost every one I met on my travels was loud, obnoxious and pretty much annoying (and being the PC guy that I try to be, I was trying really hard not to make the connection).

In '98 I went over there (the U.S.) for a three month snowboarding holiday and I gotta say, the natives couldn't have been nicer. Granted I didn't meet all 280 million of them, but the one's I did, lovely people.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby munkey » Tuesday Jun 14, 2005 8:19 pm

obviously with the exseption of few, i met a couple in jamaca, we were all learning to windsurf, and they were nice, but the other 99% were as you say loud, obnoxious, and rude.

they even got up and gave my girlfriend a round of applous and geeared her on when i finaly got her to jump off the high dive,

and as for the tallent contest........... well the nail in the coffin as theyd say.

as the laws of probabilaty clearly show, liveing in a place with over 90% arse as the sorce of there genetic matirial, your bound to be submerged in the culture that factorys thease dim witted, and un educated halfwits. i regulaly download american documentorys, and the american pubic dont do themselvs any favors,

they dont even know what callorys are!!!!

anyhoo... nuff said, glad i got that off my chest,
i do like auzzys tho, even if we do get symallaly branded pomms,
no one likes and imposter after all.
lots of sun, beer and bbq,s or barbies as they say downunder,
8) englend victorious "ashes 2005" 8)
munkey

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion