living in australia

Other topics - beer-related or not.

living in australia

Postby munkey » Saturday Mar 26, 2005 9:10 pm

i want to move to australia and study when i graduate, its the reasen i bookmarked this forum as well as uk ones,

iv got some like government figures for liveing costs per year and they recan its cheeper to live out there than the uk,

do you guys from oz agree?? i spend around 6,500 pounds thats about 16,000 oz dollers per year on rent, bills and food.
this is for a 2 bedroom house, electric, gas, and 2 peoples food,
this dosent include homebrew gear,...... phew i wouldent like to add that one up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

any comments and advice will be greatly appreciated, im pissing in the dark hear boys,
munkey

Postby Shaun » Saturday Mar 26, 2005 10:14 pm

munkey I have no personal experience in this area. I know two people however who have lived in England and OZ (one an Aunty one a mate 6 months each) and both believe OZ is cheaper. From personal experience I have visited/stayed/lived in every state and territory in OZ and Vic is the best place to be. Forget Sydney and the harbour bridge it is the most expressive city to live in OZ. Go Melbourne has everything all the other cities think they have and is affordable. When the rest of OZ is asked what don't you like about Melbourne the ONLY thing they say is the weather (we can have four seasons in one day).

I would be happy to welcome a fallow brewer to our shores even if he is a whingeing pom :lol: .
Shaun

Postby gregb » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 5:42 am

Munkey,

May be helpful: http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/index.htm

Greg.
gregb

Postby r.magnay » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 7:33 am

No Shaun, you are not quite right when you say the only thing wrong with Mebourne is the weather, the biggest problem is that it is full of bloody Victorians!!!!!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby goatsby » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 9:35 am

Well It depends where you want to live the city or the bush
Here are my views on Australian Cities

Sydney
Pros: Good weather, the picturesque harbour, many old pubs ( but a lot have become yuppified and lost all their charecter) , public transport at night(handy when your pissed)_

Cons
Most expensive city in Australia for housing, The Radiators are Sydneys longest serving band, Sharks, both real ones and real estate ones, yuppy idiots particulary north shore, ex rugby league players dressing up in womens clothing for cheap laughs(see the Footy Show), congestion on roads, Hahn Ice is made there IMHO the worst beer in australia

Melbourne
Pros: Cheaper housing then Sydneybut not much, someone called it the worlds Most Liveable City sheesh, Home of Australian Rules Football, the MCG, nice parks, Many old pubs but many yuppified too, good live music scene eg Jet Casanovas etc

Cons
changable weather 4 seasons in one day, beer at the footy costs $5.00 RIP OFF, police and criminals have a shoot at first sight policy here, Bert Newton, dirty beaches, The Yarra river ( arnt rivers supposed to be blue)

Brisbane
Pros: Cheap housing, nice subtropical weather, chook raffles in pubs Friday nights, cheaper petrol, nice pubs with more beer gardens then the southern states

Cons
The Brisbane River it is brown like the Yarra, bad neighbourhood disputes usaully shown on A Current Affair, Cane Toads, Lesbian vampire killers

Adelaide:
Even more cheaper housing, city surrounded by parks, home of Coopers,
nice pubs but like most others in australia becoming yuppified and losing charecter, clean safe beaches

Cons
Adelaide water, Port Adelaide football fans they have a lower collective IQ then even the Collinwood cheer squad, Stobie poles,

*special notes: need to buy some Cold Chisel albums to assimilate with the locals

Perth:
Cheap Housing, clean safe beaches, good weather, Rottnest Island, good pubs but many yuppified esp in Freemantle,

Cons:
The worlds most isolated city everything is far away,

Hobart:
Pros: cheapest housing, beautifully sitaiuted with the Derwnt and Mt wellington, Old pubs(these pubs dont have verandahs like on mainland)
Beer ticket machines, The cascade brewery tours

Cons:
Cold but not as cold as canberra more of a european climate, it is hilly you walk downhill to the pub then uphill on the way home an exhausting process,

Special notes: need to buy George Thorogood or Wild Pumpkins at Midnite record to assimilate with locals

I hope all this helps

Cheers Goatsby
goatsby

Postby Evo » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 10:08 am

So munkey, from what you've seen I'm not sure you're going to get a real answer on the best place to live in Australia. What you can be sure of though is that if you are armed with the mighty GBP, the country is your oyster. Last time I checked 1 pound was equal to about $45 AUD.

You will get the occasional Aussie calling you a whinging pom etc, but with all that cash is your "sky rocket" you can just pay them to shut up.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 11:02 am

Munkey

Not wanting to start a war or anything, but IMHO WA is the only place to be! Perth is a great place to live, very relaxed, great beers (Little Creatures is brewed here!) etc.

I've spent time in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and could never wait to get home to Perth! Goatsby's summary is preety accurate for the most part!

Yeah we may be isolated, that makes us more resilient!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby normell » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 12:17 pm

Evo wrote:Last time I checked 1 pound was equal to about $45 AUD.

SAY WHAT ???????
"Every day above ground is a good day"
normell

Postby r.magnay » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 12:59 pm

Hey Goatsby,
Isn't the bloody Territory in Ausralia? All you have mentioned is the bloody yuppie southern capital cities as if there is no part of Australia that isn't used up by a bloody city, listen Munkey, if you want to move over here come and have a look around and you will find there is a bloody lot of country not mentioned before.
Ross
r.magnay

Postby gregb » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 5:53 pm

Hey Goatsby, can we have more detail on the Vampire Lesbian Killers? :twisted: :lol:
gregb

Postby goatsby » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 8:00 pm

Well here are the details greg The brisbane Lesbian Vampire Murder

took place in Australia in 1991 in the case of Tracey Wigginton. In October 1989 Wigginton, her lover Lisa Ptaschinski and two female friends Kim Jervis and Tracey Waugh lured Edward Baldock into a local park with the promise of sexual favours. Instead Wigginton stabbed him so many times that he was virtually decapitated. During their trial the three other women claimed that Wigginton was a vampire and craved a large 'feed' for human blood. Despite a more logical diagnosis of Multiple Personality Disorder by two prison psychiatrists during the 14 months before her trial, the media tapped into society's fears of the supernatural and went to town with 'lesbian vampire' headlines. A Mental Health Tribunal rejected the MPD diagnosis and Wigginton was deemed fit to stand trial. She pleaded guilty and to this date is serving a life sentence in Queensland

Edward Baldock was enjoying a Friday night at the Caledonian Club having a few drinks, then picked up and killed by lesbian vampire killers.
Not a nice way to go.

As usual people in Brisbane tried to hush it up, but it was a big story in southern states.

On a personal note i thought Kim Jervis was rather attractive, I was going to write to her in prison offering to cure her lesbianism.
goatsby

Postby goatsby » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Hey Goatsby,
Isn't the bloody Territory in Ausralia?

Yes it is, but you never never know if you never never go, and I havnt been there.

I agree Munkey should take a good look around and dont forget distances in Australia take some getting used to!
goatsby

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 11:04 pm

Phh,

Distance is a relative term. How long does it take to go coast to coast, I live in a country that spans 4 and half timezones It takes two days just to get out of this province for Gods sake (and I wasn't allowing for traffic) and yes, I know all about taking extra gas.

Munkey, I would look at the big empty. I like that. I understand there are some lizzards which grow to six feet and when you scare them they run up onto the top of your head and do a dance, trying to get to the highest point, that just tickles me pink, would be worth the price of addmission to see that.

Additionally there are some long in the tooth sheep, Didn't one just celebrate 25 years or something. Bet he makes for good eating. As far as the lesbian vampire thing, well any full moon will do that here, in fact, they aren't even fussy about being lesbian which you can't say here in Canada as it is same sex partners now, so it would be a same sex partner vampire, which is sounding pretty bad on the whole vampire thing

Yep, the big empty, thats where my heart is, at least folk think straight. I guess some folk just have way to much free time on their hands, lesbian vampire, sounds like a story from my 7 year old son.

By they way, what the hell is a Chook, and that Pommy thing, that was pretty polite to what I've heard

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby munkey » Sunday Mar 27, 2005 11:22 pm

woh!!!! didnt exspect that sort of reply,, thanks a bunch guys, i will post any more questions i have as i dig a little deeper,
one think tho i was looking at the university of technology, i think thats in sidny.

i am also a timeserver plater, metal worker, pipe fitter with anything over 8inch, im fully trained and iv got neumorus safty cards and training to work in hazourdus enviroments, is there much work for people me over there and what sort of wages do you guys get payed, i genraly work for around 8 to 15 gbp and i think the aud is 2.5 to the pound so thats $20 to $37
munkey

Postby grabman » Monday Mar 28, 2005 12:34 am

Dogger

Chook = chicken

Distance here is not a problem, from Perth head east, three to four days later you should hit water! The Nullabor plain (South Aust/WEst Aust border) has the longest stretch of straight rail-line in the world at 478 kilometres. Not a bad ride!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Mar 28, 2005 3:36 am

Thanks Grab,

Which will bring me to my next question, why are you holding raffles on Chickens? We normally do them on a bottle of whiskey, might want to think about that.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby r.magnay » Monday Mar 28, 2005 8:18 am

G,Day Munkey,
By the sounds of your trade qualifications, work would be no problem, there is a distinct shortage of tradesmen in Aus. at the moment, all these bloody computers and the soft cocks we are breeding has caused very few kids to do apprenticeships over the last ten years or so, they all want to sit at a desk and drive a computer all day. As for the money, if you go to a city the money you are on would be similar to what you get over there, but there are plenty of much better paid jobs if you get away from the cities and into the mines or constuction areas. If you are serious about migrating remember a couple of important things, 1. If you come here and try to be a part of us as we are , you will be welcomed by most. 2. We have the best country in the world............don't stuff it up!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby normell » Monday Mar 28, 2005 8:42 am

r.magnay wrote:G,Day Munkey,
1. If you come here and try to be a part of us as we are , you will be welcomed by most. 2. We have the best country in the world............don't stuff it up!

And don't be a whinging POM, and talk about how better it was in the old country, 'cause you will soon be told where to go very quickly

Normell
"Every day above ground is a good day"
normell

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Mar 28, 2005 10:45 am

Sorry Ross,

Equally as good as Canada.

Normell, Concur 100 percent.

The same happens here, If it was so good there, what are you doing here?

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Monday Mar 28, 2005 10:46 am

Dogger, The old chook raffle idea I believe originated when the men flk would go out to get dinner and end up in the pub instead, nothing wrong so far. By raffling the chook the publican kept them there longer as they all thought the missus would love a raw chook to help with dinner. Some pub still have a similar thing, pub where my wife works raffles a meat tray every Saturday, some great stuff on it as well, steaks, roasts, sausages etc.

As for raffling a bottle, wouldn't that just encourage more drinking!!
What's the problem?

grabman

Next

Return to General discussion