mates

Other topics - beer-related or not.

mates

Postby mordy43 » Friday Jan 21, 2005 8:10 pm

Guys you seem to have forgotten the sensation of kicking back with all the boy's drinking around the campfire and drinking beers whether it is vb, xxxx, carlton cold or whatever the local brew. What l'm trying to say is don't forget your old mate and what it was all about in the beginning. Sometimes home brews arn't convenient and you can look a bit stupid walking down the street with a glass in your hand but l still love my home brews more.
mordy43

Postby Evo » Friday Jan 21, 2005 10:47 pm

I know what you are saying but I think you just have to come up with ways to drink more homebrew and less pap (or even just less pap). Can't wait to try our "keggorator" out around the campfire, passing the gun around.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby gregb » Saturday Jan 22, 2005 4:22 am

And if you need a traveller, try either:

Bottle a few into standard stubbies, and alow it to be chucked

Buy some disposable Plastic schooners like you get at the cricket or footy.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Jan 22, 2005 9:00 am

Actually, I was just thinking (Dogger don't lie to these nice people)

I have some mates and we get together on a weekend once a year at a local campsite, no women allowed. And we get pretty juiced. Really, why waste my good stuff I think. By the end of the night, even Buuuuuuudddddddddd goes down

Maybe its like women, maybe there is a new definition for beer goggles.

HMMmm, must think more about that

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Travelling home brew.

Postby drgood » Sunday Jan 23, 2005 12:41 pm

Have been doing a proto type of portable esky on a golf buggy.Made out of cool-room panel , larger than keg,with room for ice.Small gas bottle on the axel,with beer gun.Improvements needed include lid and drain tap.Ice will last up to 3 days,the keg wont.
drgood

Postby r.magnay » Sunday Jan 23, 2005 2:16 pm

Not much into golf me, but a few years ago a few of my mates and myself went in a picnic golf day, we didn't fancy carrying eskies with us so we got one big one, pulled the motor off of the lawnmower strapped the man sized esky on in it's place, stuck a small bag of sticks on the handle and off we went, a bit heavy to push around for a start, but as the load lightened, it got easier, we christened it the "Eskymower" (Like that Dan?)
Ross
r.magnay

Postby drgood » Sunday Jan 23, 2005 5:30 pm

We use a ride-on back here in Queensland.More HP than pullers.
drgood

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jan 24, 2005 2:54 am

I had acoversation with the HBS. They also have the ability to can beer as they brew on premise.

The are willing to let me can some of my brew as long as it is filtered before I take it down. There will be a sanitization charge as they don't trust me but......

Will see if it is cost effective

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Monday Jan 24, 2005 10:26 am

Jesus Dr Good. That's exactly what our "Kegorator" is. A twin keg esky made out of coolroom panel. Was thinking of adapting a "Soda Stream" size gas bottle for it.

I'm liking the idea of the golf buggy to get it around. Might be borrowing that idea from you ;). I'll mention your name in the credits.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby drgood » Monday Jan 24, 2005 8:06 pm

Evo,I'm not sure the buggy will take two kegs, but anyway, do those soda streams still use little "gas bombs" that used to fit the syphons.If so would you have enough gas.Guess if the beer (s) are gassed up you would only need pressure on top for dispensing.
One mate on "the downs" uses a 4 wheeler pump-up tyres trolley;carried an old (u/s) tuckerbox freezer with two kegs with ice etc., and towed it with the ride-on.I can see the day when the small trailer with a generator running the fridge is the all time go.I do it when we have big days picking mangoes,saves walking back but so bloody wet here now,forget the mangoes.Thanks again
drgood

Postby Shaun » Monday Jan 24, 2005 8:27 pm

I have a mate that went to tafe and completed a welding/metal engineering course so he could use their facilities to make stuff from stainless steel. His highlights were a 9 burner stainless steel BBQ, Keg turned into a spit and a stainless steel caddy for his kegs.

The caddy was two layers of stainless filled with expanding foam 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The internal compartment has brackets to hold the keg in place with room for ice around it. Gas was provided by a soda stream system that had been pulled apart and modified to suit the caddy. The only problem with this was that it was not regulated as you poured if it was pour to slow he had a button you push to allow more gas into the keg. The lid formed the drip tray and he had a holster for the gun on the side. It was completed with wheels and a handle for moving around.

I will see if I can get some photos from him to post for you to see.
Shaun

Postby mordy43 » Monday Jan 24, 2005 9:06 pm

Australia what a country,Cheers
mordy43

Postby Evo » Monday Jan 24, 2005 9:40 pm

Yeah, I love talking about this stuff.

So when is OUR mate going to join this forum Shaun ? ;)

I was thinking the Soda Stream used the little bottles about a 250mm long and about 60mm diametre, although I do have memories of making bombs out of the little soda syphon bottles, so not sure.

And yeah, Dr Good, was thinking you wouldn't need much gas to dispense once the beer has been carbonated. I like the idea of the ride-on, but I'll probaby have to go downscale a bit ;). Might have to modify the axle of the golf buggy, but that's what making sh!t is all about.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jan 24, 2005 10:23 pm

Are your golf courses flat, ours are bumpy as all get out. Beer would be flat in a heart beat and blowing big head

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby drgood » Monday Jan 24, 2005 11:15 pm

Yes, making bits and pieces seems to be out way of surviving and making our lifestyle that little bit better,ever though challeging.Can you guys remember the bad old days when all we had was a bucket of LME,some hop extract some sugar and fingers crossed.There was just the old Brigalow kits if I remember and they were...**#*# not real smart.Look at the systems now.Boy it is good.
Having terrific brewing weather here.Hasn't stopped raining for 5 days - BP down another 3 points this avo-and just under 2 kegs left and one in CC.Should have donated to the Weastpac Chopper.Will they still do a drop of favoured ingredients?The SES blokes will need neck high waders to get through.I still have the homie rum licquer hidden away
for a rainy day.What better time.Oh joy
drgood

Postby Shaun » Saturday Feb 05, 2005 9:52 pm

I have the photos of the beer caddy for anyone that is interested? Who can post them on the web some ware?
Shaun

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Feb 05, 2005 11:06 pm

If you get no better offer try here. I make no promises

Dogger

http://groups.msn.com/DoggersHomebrew/shoebox.msnw?Page=Last
Dogger Dan

Postby Shaun » Sunday Feb 06, 2005 9:05 pm

Dogger what is all that white stuff in all your photos?
Shaun

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Feb 07, 2005 12:10 am

Shaun

It's a bit like riding a Harley,

If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. :wink:

Really, its the stuff that makes summer great

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to General discussion