clear bottles

Other topics - beer-related or not.

clear bottles

Postby bobby » Wednesday Jul 04, 2012 9:58 am

Hi all ,I would like to know can you bottle in clear bottles and store them in a dark playse.
bobby

Re: clear bottles

Postby Bum » Wednesday Jul 04, 2012 11:42 am

Yep but even a short exposure to light can skunk your beer. Not just sun-light, some man-made will spoil beer too.

There may be kits that are made with products such that skunking isn't an issue (tetra something?) but it isn't worth the risk. Keep them dark or keep them brown.
Bum

clear bottles

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Jul 04, 2012 11:57 am

The reason beer is stored in dark bottles is to provide some protection from UV light.

Most hops will react to UV radiation (light) and create a sulphur compound. Sulphur isn't really known for it's pleasurable flavour and it won't sit well in your beer in anything more than marginal quantities (some beer styles intentionally add sulphur to the brew through the specific selection of yeast strain, but the quantities are much lower than you'd get if the beer was exposed to UV.)

UV light isn't only generated by the sun, but just about every light source (some light types generate more, but just about anything emitting light is emitting some of that in the UV end of the spectrum.)

In short, if you're able to to ensure that no light will get to the batch, from sun or otherwise, (maybe packing up the bottles in boxes of 3 or 4 and making sure all gaps are taped up with something opaque like electrical tape) then you may be able to get away with it. Otherwise you'd risk skunking your batch. Seems all more trouble than it's worth and not something I would bother myself with, personally.

EDIT: beaten by Bum. What he said.
bullfrog

Re: clear bottles

Postby bobby » Wednesday Jul 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks guy's sounds like it is not worth the trouble .
bobby

Return to General discussion