What are you drinking from? - A see through topic

Other topics - beer-related or not.

What are you drinking from? - A see through topic

Postby Sonny » Monday Apr 16, 2012 11:00 am

Barrelboy's recent photo of his winnings in another thread has spurred me to share my personal addiction with the members of this forum. You see over my life I have endured many addictions, some good and some bad, many hard to break and some I have been in trouble for. I have been addicted to stuff like nicotine and chocolate, I have also had collecting type addictions, like plastic outdoor bbq chairs, boogie boards and eskies that have been placed out for council collection. Usually always for a purpose, like camping trips and bbq's that I knew were coming up. Still my wife hated this as it took up space and became an eyesore in many ways.
I have overcome all of the above addictions now, except I continue with my box addiction still to this day. I'm a type A personality and I also have the condition CDO, otherwise known as OCD except that I have it in alphabetical order. You see boxes, plastic or otherwise allow me keep my garage and other stuff in the house organised. Even little boxes are great to reorganise the kitchen cupboards with, just ask my wife how great I am at doing this for her!

When I took up brewing I obviously started using my two beer glasses that I have had for years. They were gifts for birthdays and such. Well my good ladywife broke two of these in one day, I was devastated to say the least. I loved those two glasses.

So when I saw BB's picture of his glass mug I thought of my recent addiction for replacing my two broken beer glasses. You see I have become obsessed with their replacement and I sought out St Vinnies stores and the like wherever I go. I'm terrible and my wife and two teenage boys are forever tormenting me about it, but I cannot stop.

Here is a picture of my progress to date, I don't think their is a cure for this.
Do you have your favourite beer glass or even an addiction similar to myself. I'd love to hear it and I thank you for reading about my very own personal and devastating delimna.

(I have provided are large pic, but if you canot see it all just press/hold Ctrl key and scroll the mouse)

There are 49 bloody beer glasses in my collection.
Last edited by Sonny on Thursday Apr 19, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Re: What are you drinking from? - A thread of glass

Postby big dave » Monday Apr 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Sonny wrote: I'm a type A personality and I also have the condition CDO, otherwise known as OCD except that I have it in alphabetical order.

Love it mate. :mrgreen:

I have a set of six limited edition Richmond FC beer glasses that my sister gave me years ago. I planned to leave them in their packaging, and open them to drink from when the Tiges next played in a grand final. But this summer I had an attack of realisation; I am 38 now, and given the family propensity to early heart disease, I might never get to use 'em! :oops:

So they have been pressed into service, and beer tastes great while I admire some of the great past players.
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby Sonny » Monday Apr 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Geez mate, I don't know if that was a positive post or what!

Glad your enjoying the glasses, but hoping you're not just giving in to hereditary disease. You do know that they are finding that these things no longer need to be hereditary and that if changes to lifestyle are made things can be better. Mate, if you have a history, you should do stuff to minimise the risk.
My wife is a PT and studies our shopping list intensely. There is so much sodium and sugar in every day food nowadays it is difficult to dodge, but not impossible. You should see our trolley nowadays, and I really have grown to enjoy my porridge in the mornings.
It's an entire family commitment but, and there's way too much info to put into a homebrew thread.

When you're ready to put those bike pics up, stick a pic of the Richmond glasses up too mate.
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby emnpaul » Monday Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm

big dave wrote: Richmond FC beer glasses...have been pressed into service, and beer tastes great while I admire some of the great past players.

But the Rex Hunt glass tastes a little fishy. :roll:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Is Dad's crap jokes a recognised disorder? :oops:
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

What are you drinking from? - A thread of glass

Postby bullfrog » Monday Apr 16, 2012 7:04 pm

I always have to have an even number of whatever beer glasses I have. For instance, I have four Headmaster schooners, two Energy schooners, two impressive 500mL Weihenstephan glasses, two Hobgoblin pints, two Three Oaks cider schooners, two glass pint mugs, two glass half-pint mugs, two pewter mugs, etc.

The only glass that I have only the one of is my Sierra Nevada pint mug that I bought at the brewery last year, but that's just because it's a keggerator adornment and not for drinking from.
bullfrog

Postby Sonny » Monday Apr 16, 2012 10:02 pm

You also have a form of CDO Bullfrog, but we are aware of that aren't we?

The question is what would be the consequence should a drinking mate actually, accidentally drop and break one of the beaut beer glass pairs, etc?
Sonny

Postby big dave » Monday Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Don't be too concerned Sonny, I was probably overstating the issue a bit. I am a paramedic when I am at work, so I am all over the risk factors. But I am keen to live well now, because there is no telling when the bus is going to run me over. :lol:
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby hyjak » Monday Apr 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh yer gotta love beer glasses, here is an overall pic of my collection. Never counted it but must be around 50 by now, I have some double ups of 'crap' glasses like JS Chancer glasses got four of them buggers and are my choice of drinking glass along with my old school 'dimple' pint mug.
Got a few rare ones in there that I never drink out of and never will.

hyjak

Postby Sonny » Monday Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm

That's good Big Dave, ya had me a tad worried there. Paramedics, you just have to love you guys!

Hyjak, nice collection mate.I picked up some Southwark the other day and I see you have a Swan Lager I am yet to get.
Your collection is about the same size, yet nothing alike really. Just goes to demonstrate the uniqueness in beer glasses I guess.

So, mine are just about all completely 2nd hand. I'll drink out of them if the urge arises as it's the reason I begun this addiction anyway. But what actually determines whether you will drink from one and not the other and how would anyone actually be able to tell if someone had or not?

It is refreshing to see a similar collection mate, I feel not so alone.
Sonny

Postby hyjak » Monday Apr 16, 2012 11:26 pm

It is a decision I make on the chance of me replacing it if my missus smashes it (which has happened in the past), I drink out of the common ones and if I feel the urge I might crack out a rare one for special occasions and then immediately wash it and place back in the cabinet away from my partner and our twins.

Some of mine just can't be replaced as the beer associated is no longer brewed ie my pair of Cascade Four Seasons glasses, I think I have used them twice and no longer do.
Missus thinks I am weird but her old man gets me and randomly drops off glasses that he finds in his travels (commercial cleaner) he is responsible for the Southwark glass, Hahn Super Dry Schooner (which I use) and a few others.
Got a fair stack of mine through my brother who has worked in various restaurants, hotels etc for the last 8 years or so.

Nice to know I am not the only 'nutter' who collects beer glasses but I am sure there are others on here who have similar if not larger collections.
hyjak

Postby Sonny » Monday Apr 16, 2012 11:36 pm

I enjoy the hunt for the unexpected glass finds in the 2nd hand stores and I avoid buying any that have obviously dulled by way of the evil dishwasher.

If I use a glass, I wash it by hand.

I have another stash in the garage of plain beer glasses in which I use for camping as they have been known to return home in pieces and another collection in the kitchen of plain, yet stylish attractive glasses for use every day.

It's a sickness for sure.
Sonny

Postby bullfrog » Monday Apr 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Oh, I forgot the pair of Grolsch 350mL beasties that my mate who works in a pub got for me.

I only tend to drink from the common glasses, in case of breakage. The exceptions to this are if I'm drinking Weihenstephan, Hobgoblin, Grolsch or Three Oaks cider, in which case they're drunk from their respective glasses.

The only glasses of mine that have ever been broken were done so by the aforementioned mate, so he now only drinks from the Energy schooners as he can easily get replacements from his work (where I got them to begin with, incidentally.)
bullfrog

Postby Sonny » Monday Apr 16, 2012 11:54 pm

I dunno dude, that mate of yours sounds a bit dodgy 'eh.
Sonny

Postby Bum » Monday Apr 16, 2012 11:59 pm

I break pretty much everything while washing the dishes.

Sorry, not everything. Just beer glasses.

*sigh*

All I have right now is a Newcastle Brown Pint glass (which everything goes in) and six (from a (former) dozen) Headmaster pot glasses which are currently dusty as they are terrible and I haven't really used them for years. Broke my beloved Unibroue tulip some time ago.

[EDIT: I also have some hugely tall and narrow 500ml stein a mate brought back from Germany for me but I never use that because it splashes me in the face for the whole first half of any glass. Don't tell him though.]
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Sonny wrote:I dunno dude, that mate of yours sounds a bit dodgy 'eh.

Not a bad brewing assistant, though.
bullfrog

Postby barrelboy » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Just for interest the dimple glass mug referred too is a heavy 500 ml one. I couldn't believe it when I found 4 of these in an op shop for $1.99 each! I keep them in the freezer door with pint glasses and rotate them after rinsing for each drink.
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 3:03 pm

bullfrog wrote:

Geez that's a bit rough, but I s'pose at least he turns up.
Sonny

Postby Sonny » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey Barrel Boy, you're a lucky single lad aren't you?

I can just tell by the photos mate. You're either living the perfect existence or the missus makes you stay in the garage.
Sonny

Postby barrelboy » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Your part right Sonny, I've had to make many a sacrifice/struggle over the years, including the shed but alls looking good eg the door of the freezer, and my own beer fridge in the back room (although I found a bottle of soft drink in there once :shock: )
Cheers with another beer. BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Sonny wrote:
bullfrog wrote:

Geez that's a bit rough, but I s'pose at least he turns up.

Haha, wasn't a comment on you, if that's what you thought. After all, you did clean my immersion chiller for me which is certainly not something I wanted to do :P
bullfrog

Next

Return to General discussion