fridge on and off

Other topics - beer-related or not.

fridge on and off

Postby barrelboy » Tuesday Nov 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi all, does anyone know if beer/cider quality is deteriorated by cooling on and off in a fridge. Reason being I have a spare bar fridge I'd like to "load up" and pre cool when needed and then turn it off, top up for the next requirement. Will those beers/ ciders left over be affected? I'm sure I've noticed this with can beer.
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Re: fridge on and off

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Dec 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Can't comment sorry BB. I just take mine out of the beer cupboard and put them into the fridge, from where they're drunk.

I assume you turn the fridge on and off to try and conserve power? If so, I wonder if you're actually saving all that much. Apparently one of the tricks to running a fridge efficiently is to keep it as full as possible, partly because if it's full there's not as much air to escape when you open the door, which is replaced by warm air that then needs to be cooled.

Perhaps it's worth investigating further whether you should leave it on, and just turn it down a few notches between parties.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guru » Tuesday Dec 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Oliver wrote:Apparently one of the tricks to running a fridge efficiently is to keep it as full as possible...

Sounds like I need to fill up my beer fridge then. I just went out there and it only has 6 (oops only 5 now) longnecks left in it. I have plenty in the pantry almost ready to go in though, so that should fix it :D
Guru

Postby bobby » Thursday Dec 15, 2011 1:21 pm

hi,BB .I have had commercial beer in stubbys. in a esky with ice. the next day ice is melted water tem room tem put beer back in fridge and when i drink them it is not the same.This might be the same.
bobby

Postby barrelboy » Thursday Dec 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Thanks guys, and Bobby I reckon your right, it doesn't taste the same. I have a beer fridge which is on all the time but also a bar fridge that I don't run and was looking to fill it up with particular bottled brews that I could cool when the mood or circumstances required it, but I'll give that plan a miss.
Cheers BB
barrelboy

Postby Sonny » Friday Dec 16, 2011 8:24 am

Three fidges BB! I assume that you like have a third cold box in the kitchen as well?

How many carbon credits did you purchased?
It's the law now to offset, you know this, yes?

hehehehehehe
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby barrelboy » Friday Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am

I planted a tree last year, does that count??
Ps. Its not my fault, her in doors insists on a fridge for food! :D
barrelboy

Postby Bum » Friday Dec 16, 2011 10:29 am

bobby wrote:hi,BB .I have had commercial beer in stubbys. in a esky with ice. the next day ice is melted water tem room tem put beer back in fridge and when i drink them it is not the same.This might be the same.

Well, I guess I'd better stop cold crashing my brews then letting them warm up to bottle condition. :shock:

Bit of a ridiculous idea really. Just don't let them get proper hot and the beers will be fine.
Bum

Postby Longwood-65 » Friday Dec 16, 2011 11:20 am

bobby wrote:hi,BB .I have had commercial beer in stubbys. in a esky with ice. the next day ice is melted water tem room tem put beer back in fridge and when i drink them it is not the same.This might be the same.

I'm Shocked :shock: you actually had stubbies left in an esky the next day :lol:
Longwood-65

Postby earle » Friday Dec 16, 2011 11:40 am

Bum and Longwood, long time no see esp Longwood. Welcome back.

Hmmm, not sure both those names should be used in the same sentence though. :?
earle

Postby Oliver » Friday Dec 16, 2011 12:20 pm

earle wrote:Bum and Longwood, long time no see esp Longwood. Welcome back.

Yep, long time between drinks for Longwood ... more than 18 months.
earle wrote:Hmmm, not sure both those names should be used in the same sentence though. :?

:shock: :lol:
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Longwood-65 » Monday Dec 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Still been reading just not much talking, still only doing K&K's, no extra words of wisdom to add to the site
Longwood-65

Return to General discussion