New to forum and intro

Other topics - beer-related or not.

New to forum and intro

Postby Guru » Friday Oct 21, 2011 4:47 pm

G'day all, just introducing myself as I have just joined up to the forum. Have been lurking a while and have visited Oliver and Geoff's main site several times to have a laugh at their beer reviews.

I'm pretty new to home brewing and have only made a couple of batch's so far which have been promising.

I am a computer programmer / web developer but have a passion for motorbikes. I think bikes and beer drinking go pretty well together (generally not at the same time though) 8)
Guru

Re: New to forum and intro

Postby bullfrog » Friday Oct 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Another brewing bike rider. Wonder why this site seems to attract our kind so prolifically...

Welcome to the site, Guru. What kind of brewing are you into? (ie. kits, kits 'n' bits, extract, grain, pillowcase, etc.)
bullfrog

Postby Guru » Friday Oct 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Just doing the extract brews at the moment. Would like to do some of the more involved stuff at some stage but just taking little steps and working my way up to it. Don't have a lot of space either and SWMBO objects to me leaving the fermenter in the kitchen :(
Guru

Postby Sonny » Saturday Oct 22, 2011 7:23 am

Be welcome Guru.

Be sure to pop over to our bike thread and post up some of your bike pics for us to 'ooohh' and 'argggh' at.
http://forums.bikeme.tv/
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby jello » Saturday Oct 22, 2011 8:01 am

Welcome to the family.
Jeff.
jello

Postby warra48 » Monday Oct 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Welcome, guru.
You'll find this site informative and helpful.
Hope you continue to enjoy your brewing journey.
warra48

Postby SaazGorilla » Wednesday Apr 11, 2012 2:45 pm

G'day All.

Like Guru, I have been lurking here for a while and have recently signed on officially. I am also a motorbiking brewer, which is a tenuous justification for hijacking Guru's thread.

I have been brewing for about 1 year so far, mainly doing Kit+Extract+Bits brews while gradually practicing the very techniques discussed on these pages along the way such as steeping, racking, and using liquid yeasts.
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Postby Sonny » Wednesday Apr 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Welcome Saaz, nice name!
You better go over and stick up some picks in the bike thread, as also thank Guru for the use of his intro thread;-)

Nice to have you along. Being a kits and bits, extract or partial type of brewer, you're in my territory. I've recently done some Wetpaks from Country Brewer and I tell what, they are alright!

Stick around, share info and maybe enter the next lotto 'eh.
the copper said that he'd 'been waiting all day for me to come along', I replied I got here as faaaast as I could!
Sonny

Postby Guru » Friday Apr 13, 2012 11:21 am

Welcome saaz, your more than welcome to hijack this thread. Looking forward to hearing about your brewing and biking exploits.
Guru

Postby barrelboy » Friday Apr 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Again welcome saaz. You'll find all helpful and friendly here. What have you been brewing lately?
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby SaazGorilla » Sunday Apr 15, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the welcome, guys and Guru in particular for graciously allowing me to hijack his thread.

My bikes are both steady workhorses and really aren't very photogenic by any stretch of the imagination. One is a 1994 BMW R80, which I use for longer jaunts. The other is a 1980 Yamaha XS 250, left over from when you HAD to get a 250 to learn on. I can't bring myself to sell it because, well, it's not worth anything to anyone and besides, I really get a buzz out of riding the thing around town. It's great fun. I enjoy it more than the beemer!

Recent brews I've done include a Pilsner, which I bottled about 6 weeks ago (might try one today in fact): Thomas Coopers Selection Pilsner tin, 1.5kg dried Pilsner Malt extract, Saaz and the liquid Budvar yeast, which I'd used for the first time.

Also this year so far, I've put down 2 Wheat beers: Thomas Coopers selection Wheat tin, 1.5 kg dried wheat malt extract and the liquid Weihenstephan yeast, which I can recommend as a step up from the safbrew T-58 I used to use.

Pilsners and wheats are my main styles, which I punctuate with 'now and then' styles like a pale ale, a dark ale or a kolsch.

Unfortunately, I'd been all set to brew some Pilsners over the winter months but my brew fridge (a wine fridge) has packed up just last week!
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Postby Sonny » Sunday Apr 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Those Hefeweisen's are the go alright. I may have to try this liquid yeast next summer in place of the WB06.
Sonny

Return to General discussion