Moo Brew - 2007 Vintage Oak Aged Imperial Stout

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Moo Brew - 2007 Vintage Oak Aged Imperial Stout

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Nov 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Over the last few month my position has afforded me the ability to taste hundreds of beers from around the world. Some good, some not so good (if my taste buds are not jumping with joy after a couple of sips... it goes down the drain... yes I am that much of a beer snob... but mostly because I am a celiac it is not worth getting sick for a beer that isn't great!).

I am now drinking a beer which is by far the most complex and satisfying beer I have tasted from an Australian brewer. It is made by http://www.moobrew.com.au/

Unfortunately this brew sold out in less than 1 week (yes even at the $25 per 33cl bottle price tag... which I can say I would happily have paid to drink this amazing drop!) so you most likely will not have the chance to try it. Don't fear, it will be back next year and judging by the quality of this brewery's other fine beers it will be just as good if not better!

A write up can be found here: http://www.moorilla.com.au/events/moorilla-event.php?id=37

The oak is not aparent to the nose, but rounds off the flavour nicely. It is perfectly balanced and leaves you craving more! Despite the high gravity the alcohol is not overpowering, but is nicely warming complimenting the oak, sweetness and subtle roasted barley flavours.

Even if you do not get a chance to try this beer next year, I do suggest you try the other products they produce. The Dark Ale is at the top of my list for AU brews! The Pale Ale is a fine example and goes down well. The Hefe and Pilsner are good examples but I would suggest there are better to be found with less work and money.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Re: Moo Brew - 2007 Vintage Oak Aged Imperial Stout

Postby tazman67 » Tuesday Nov 18, 2008 9:19 pm

I got to taste last years vintage and this years vintage...The ageing does wonders...
I bought 4..drunk two..kept two.
Will be good to see how they age...
The Pale is a good example of the style...The Pilsner is ok..The Hefe isnt bad if you dont like too much bananna in your face.
Dark ale is Great, Stout even better...
I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Nov 19, 2008 9:02 am

For those of you in SA get yourselves down to Steam Exchange.

I dropped in on Sunday and they had oaked versions of their dark ale and IPA on tap. Very good.

Also have an imperial vanilla biourbon porter but i was driving and at 9.5% its a tad more than a standard drink....

Kev - what do you think of the Murrays range? Just got a 4 pack - think its the imperial stout, grand cru, 2IPA and the extra porter. $26 so pricey but looking forward to them.
drsmurto

Postby WSC » Wednesday Nov 19, 2008 10:16 am

Kevnlis, if you don't mind me asking how have you got yourself into the position of tasting 100'a of brews from around the world?

It sounds like a nice position to be in....
WSC

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Nov 19, 2008 10:48 am

What I have had of the Murrays range has been good, if memory serves (I dont remember putting any down the drain :lol:). We drank a 750ml bottle of the Anniversary Ale last weekend and I was quite impressed. The 750ml of Meamtime Wheat we drank first was incredible and detracted a bit from the Murrays so my judgement may not have been the best. Murrays Blonde was quite nice with a smooth citrus aroma and would make an excellent session beer. I can not remember the others. I should probably be taking notes of all these beers but I am too lazy :shock:

WSC wrote:Kevnlis, if you don't mind me asking how have you got yourself into the position of tasting 100'a of brews from around the world?

It sounds like a nice position to be in....

Unfortunately, I am unable to tell. I can say if you are serious about beer and are looking to make a career out of brewing or something beer related, e-mail me and we can chat ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby WSC » Thursday Nov 20, 2008 9:35 am

Email sent.
WSC

Return to The beer you buy