Cascade Pale Ale

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Cascade Pale Ale

Postby homebrewer79 » Thursday Aug 28, 2008 11:11 am

Got home from work yesterday to find SWMBO downing a nice cold beer, I thought to myself, cool wonder what she bought. She uses a stubbie holder so I couldn't tell by scanning across the room. Here I am hoping Coopers, but I realise it's in a green bottle, got me thinking maybe she got some nice imported stuff we haven't tried yet. I walk to the fridge, open slowly with excitement. Bum Bum, Cascade Pale Ale, bloody Cascade :mrgreen: . She says, you like pale ales so I thought I'd grab these. I had one to be polite and keep in the good books, then I sat her down and had a stern word. It was the most foul thing I have ever tasted, I had to wash my mouth out with HB for a few hours :wink:
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Re: Cascade Pale Ale

Postby Boonie » Thursday Aug 28, 2008 12:19 pm

But................

I remember going to a mates 50th and having about 5-6 Tooheys New's.

Then it was my shout and lo and behold they had this stuff on Tap.......in short, it tasted a hell of alot better than the Tooheys.....

Not saying I would rush out and buy it again, because

a. I've tasted it already and there are many more to sample
b. I've had better

Always remember, there are worse beers out there........
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby gregb » Thursday Aug 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Give the lass some points for trying.

As Boonie said, there are worse beers out there.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Chris » Thursday Aug 28, 2008 1:40 pm

She bought you beer?!! Can I have her? :lol:
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby homebrewer79 » Thursday Aug 28, 2008 2:55 pm

gregb wrote:Give the lass some points for trying.

As Boonie said, there are worse beers out there.

Cheers,
Greg

Yeah at least she thought of me :D But I must say I seriously can't remember having a beer that bad, I have a feeling it might have either been light struck or stored in a furnace because It did have a very off putting smell to it, and obviously IMO the taste was in the same ball park

Chris wrote:She bought you beer?!! Can I have her? :lol:

No :) :lol:
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Postby timmy » Saturday Aug 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Am I right in saying that this stuff is actually a lager that is being passed off as a pale ale?

I only tasted it once (during the Cascade tour) and I wasn't impressed. They do make some nice beers down there (the stout and blonde are my faves) but this one they can keep....

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby homebrewer79 » Sunday Aug 31, 2008 1:20 pm

I am no fan of Cascade at all but I do have to admit timmy, the stout is very nice. Never had the blonde but all their other beers I've tried have not been my cup of tea.

timmy wrote:Am I right in saying that this stuff is actually a lager that is being passed off as a pale ale?

Interesting, where did you hear/read this. I don't think it tastes at all like a lager. But the one I have could have been off (it was that bad)
homebrewer79

Postby timmy » Sunday Aug 31, 2008 2:44 pm

homebrewer79 wrote:I am no fan of Cascade at all but I do have to admit timmy, the stout is very nice. Never had the blonde but all their other beers I've tried have not been my cup of tea.

timmy wrote:Am I right in saying that this stuff is actually a lager that is being passed off as a pale ale?

Interesting, where did you hear/read this. I don't think it tastes at all like a lager. But the one I have could have been off (it was that bad)

I read it in Laurie Strachan's book.
timmy

Postby wambesi » Sunday Aug 31, 2008 2:59 pm

Yeah it is a lager, once upon a time it was brewed with an ale yeast but then they moved to the lager strains but kept brewing that style, well thats what I read about them anyway.

I don't remember it tasting that awful last I had it though, mind you it was in Tassie so maybe it was treated better.
wambesi

Postby homebrewer79 » Sunday Aug 31, 2008 3:19 pm

I am really starting to think that I have tried a skunked beer. I'll be in Tassie this christmas to visit SWMBO's old man so I think I'll give it another crack just to be sure I haven't tried a dud. Anyone know of a decent pub that has it on tap in the Smithton area? I'm actually flying in to Launceston so any pub between the two towns is good, so long as it's not too out of the way cause I'll have my 14 month old son with me and he can be quite impatient when he wants to be :lol:
homebrewer79

Return to The beer you buy