no preservatives, no additives

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

no preservatives, no additives

Postby simonb » Thursday May 05, 2005 6:25 pm

I notice that the Coopers beers say no preservatives, no additives

So does this mean that you suffer less of a hangover from it than you can from other commercial beers? because I have heard a few people say that its the preservatives that add to your headaches

And I assume that naturally made homebrew is also without preservatives.

So do people find they are better off after a night on homebrew than say VB (for want of a better example)?
simonb

Postby Antsvb » Thursday May 05, 2005 6:34 pm

For sure. Can drink homebrew for alot longer into the night than any commercial beers.
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Postby grabman » Thursday May 05, 2005 6:50 pm

too true, after night on commercial brew often wake up feeling like death warmed up with tongue stuck to roof of mouth.

on Homebrew, wake up, shake the head and get on with the day!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Evo » Thursday May 05, 2005 7:36 pm

Yeah, not sure about that one. I remember way way back, back in the 80's, when I switched from VB to Coopers Sparkling. It used to give me an all natural hangover the next day.

Rarely do I get hangovers these days. But when I do, it usually involves more than one poison so it's hard to know who to blame. Invariably the blame goes on the late night lamb sandwich.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Thursday May 05, 2005 11:56 pm

yea olde kebab shop is back!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Oliver » Friday May 06, 2005 10:40 am

Cooper's (and any bottle-conditioned beer with no additives/preservatives) definitely leads to less of a hangover, or none at all.

The reasons for this are, in my view, twofold.

Firstly, there are no preservatives to poison you (leaving the alcohol to poison you all by itself :) )

Secondly, alcohol draws vitamin B out of the body. However, the yeast sediment in bottle-conditioned beer replaces the vitamin B as the alcohol draws it out of you. So it's like there's a vitamin B tablet in ever bottle. Let's call it Vitamin Beer :D

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby simonb » Friday May 06, 2005 12:21 pm

great - thanks for your views

so what other beers are good to buy that are similar
made in a similar way? (bottle conditioned)

eg are little creatures and james squires beers made with no preservatives etc
simonb

Postby Evo » Friday May 06, 2005 1:48 pm

Looks like it's gunna be me to bring it down again. What is happening to me ?

Firstly, it is a common misconception that all natural ANYTHING is better for you than "man made" stuff. Opium is natural as is arsenic. Neither are good for you.

Also, who has ever had the effects of a hangover from too many preservatives alone ? "Oooh I had too many E12's last night. I feel like shite". Maybe plain old E's without the proceeding numbers but...

As for the alleged vitamin B in yeast sediment. Not sure if it's true or not that it contains vitamin B, but even if it did it wouldn't ward off a hangover. If it were that simple you could just pop a Mega B before hitting it and feel safe in the knowledge you'd wake up peachy. Has anyone tried Alcodol ? It's some sort of marketted hangover cure you take while your nailing the cans. It's about as much good as a chocolate teapot.

Like I said, sorry to bring it down, but I have a hangover. And I'm probably going to have one tomorrow and the next day.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Guest » Friday May 06, 2005 2:08 pm

Evo

Yes - you are probably correct

but at then end of the day - homebrew (or naturally brewed) I think is still better for you than mass the produced stuff

Postby Jay » Friday May 06, 2005 2:14 pm

I've noticed that I don't get a hangover at all from my HB. I personally think that it's because my beer is more filling and alcoholic and therefore slows me up a fair bit.

My greatest problem is when I get to the pub and find myself continually having to buy a wedge in between shouts. Drink the darn watery stuff way to quick.

Cheers,
Jay.
Jay

Postby Evo » Friday May 06, 2005 2:18 pm

Word ! I'm all for keeping it natural too.

Maybe we should send that one into Mythbusters (great show) and see if they can do a comparison between homebrew and chemical brew hangovers.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday May 07, 2005 2:48 am

Guys,

Its the long chain molecules that the body can't break down, then it gets mixed with those CO2 bubbles and you are cooked, Thats why you are best drinking flat beer. To many overcarbonated beers will lead to a increased risk of a Brain Annurism. Lets not even talk about sangria or the Captain and Coke.

I am so full of Shite :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But I just couldn't help it :lol:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Saturday May 07, 2005 6:43 am

Speaking of Captain and Coke, Dogger, have you noticed you get less mozzie bites when you've had a couple of Rums?

Seriously.

Greg.
gregb

Postby r.magnay » Saturday May 07, 2005 7:00 am

gregb,
you don't get less mozzie bites, you just don't feel them after a few rums!
Ross
r.magnay

Postby gregb » Saturday May 07, 2005 7:07 am

Ross,

That was the other hypothesis we came up with. :D :D

Greg.
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday May 07, 2005 9:37 am

I don't get mozzie bites, and yes we have big honkers that carry away small children

I have old and bitter blood.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Re: no preservatives, no additives

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Feb 28, 2008 5:07 pm

Of course if a mozzie bites you when you're really drunk, they have to watch for mozzie-cops because they fly rather erraticly, being their bug-brains are totally hammered on the blood's alcohol....
:mrgreen:

Anyway, on the additives and preservatives deal.. I prefer clean beer as they just taste better.
Snowdog

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Feb 28, 2008 7:17 pm

I dont recall ever having the OMFG hangover on my homebrew but these days i have a couple of your standard comercial beers and bang instant headache ( and thats not even the next morning its during drinking them)

Homebrew = no real hangovers :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby gregb » Thursday Feb 28, 2008 7:36 pm

You can get a hangover from homebrew, you just have to work harder for it.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby ryan » Friday Feb 29, 2008 6:47 am

lethaldog wrote:I dont recall ever having the OMFG hangover on my homebrew but these days i have a couple of your standard comercial beers and bang instant headache ( and thats not even the next morning its during drinking them)

Homebrew = no real hangovers :wink:

That`s very true. Another thing I`ve noticed is if I drive past a licensed venue just up the road I get a massive hangover! Yet as soon as I`m 50 metres past it, I`m ok again. :shock:
{I don`t go that way anymore} :|
ryan

Next

Return to The beer you buy