VB in US

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

VB in US

Postby Jay » Friday Apr 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Hi Guys,

We recently had a bloke from Buffalo come out to work with us and he became totally addicted to VB. Which I (and many on this site) don't really rate but is, afterall, Australia's most popular beer so who am I to argue with his taste buds.

You North Americans members don't know where my mate would be able to purchase some VB from. He expects me to ship some over but I figure this will be pretty darn expensive.

Have a good weekend,
Jay.
Jay

Postby Oliver » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 11:13 am

Was talking to a Canadian bloke in a hotel in Melbourne the other day who was drinking VB on tap (I was drinking Stella).

I asked why the hell he would want to drink VB when he could choose something else (like Stella, for instance).

His answer was because he could get Stella in Canada but couldn't get VB.

Strange logic, methinks, to drink a crap beer in a foreign country because you can't get the said crap beer in your own country.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby grabman » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 1:34 pm

When in Rome and all that!

He probably thinks it's good to drink the local drop!

Much the same as when we comment on the Unibroue beers and Dogger pans them, no offence Dogger. A change is as good as a holiday and sometimes you don't know how good you've got it until you drink the crap somewhere else~!

if that all makes sense, it is Saturday after a big Friday and the derby is on tonight, GO FREO!!!!!!
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Apr 09, 2005 10:43 pm

Grab

None taken my friend, taste is a strange thing. I guess I like to guzzle my beer and I can't take a month of Sundays drinking it so the big heavies don't work for me.

Buffalo is just down the street from me actually (about 2 hrs) and have been there many a time for skiing, hockey and football (US Style). They have warehouses set up for mass quantity but it has something to do with their legislation (who owns who, North American Free Trade) as to whether they can bring it in or not. Remember they can make very good crap beer right at home and sell it at pennies a bottle so bringing it in at a premium makes no sense?

Even in Canada, a small Coopers Sparkling is about $3.00 a bottle from the store. A quart of Fosters is only $2.50. Thats because Fosters, which if I understand right is CUB, is owned by a Big Arse Firm that owns John Labatt here in Canada. So the recipe is sent here John Labatt brews it up using local ingredients and there are no tarriffs to pay. Used to be you couldn't get Mooshead here in Ontario, Brew had to stay in its own province.

Any wonder why I brew my own

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Sunday Apr 10, 2005 9:17 pm

The reference to Buffalo reminded me of a place we drove through on our North American snowboarding trip all those years ago. I saw the distance sign on the side of the road and was sure I had been driving too long. The place is Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump. I think it was in Alberta (or it could have been BC). We even found out about why it was called this (and Canadian history wasn't really our priority).

And they say us Aussie's have strange place names (Katoomba, Woolloomooloo etc etc). Oh, and for the record, I drank Kokanee and thought it was pretty damn good. I can hear Dogger scoffing already. It was a long time ago.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Apr 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Evo,

I have drank my fair share of Glacier Fresh Kokanee my little mug wamp and it went down just fine (see one of my first posts on the Worst Beers thread).

Haven't been to "Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump" but I do know about it. What a good idea eh, just make sure the pony you are on remembers to stop.

Oh, we even have a town named Dildo, Upper Moose Lip and Lower Weasle Piss

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Monday Apr 11, 2005 10:14 am

That's as bad as the Perth suburbs of
Inaloo and Upper Swan

Our town planners have no sense of meaning do they@!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby gregb » Tuesday Apr 12, 2005 6:29 am

That, or they were pissed when they came up with the names ... :lol:
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Apr 16, 2005 10:04 pm

Sorry Guys,

It turns out I may have mislead a bit. I did a bit of research and found that the beer like Fosters is actually brewed in Australia, then it is distilled to get the alcohol out and some of the water, shipped and no tarrifs applied to it as it has no alcohol in it. Rehydrated and then the alcohol is added back into it in country.

Stupid me for thinking they just sent the recipie

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Sunday Apr 17, 2005 9:40 am

what a run around process to still end up with a crap product!

MIght be ok if they produced a decent end result, but no same old sh!te
What's the problem?

grabman

Return to The beer you buy