Amsterdam Mariner

The good, the bad and the ugly of commercial beer and breweries, including microbreweries and craft breweries.

Amsterdam Mariner

Postby goatsby » Monday Jun 04, 2007 1:21 pm

Bought a sixpack of this at safeway on Friday

@#$#@@#$#

I havn,t had a beer for 3 days now it was so disgusting!!
goatsby

Postby Danis » Monday Jun 04, 2007 1:23 pm

I did exactly the same thing - same shop and same day - cause I was broke. And I had pretty much the same reaction.
Danis

Postby Turner » Monday Jun 04, 2007 7:47 pm

haha for $28 a carton you can't go wrong!!
I'm not a fish
I'm a man
Hook in mouth!
Turner

Postby Danis » Tuesday Jun 05, 2007 11:11 am

Yeah, so cheap. Sorted out the evening by convincing my friends to purchase a slab of coopers pale ale, so it turned out well on all fronts.
Danis

Postby Pale_Ale » Tuesday Jun 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Some beers, i.e Hollandia, Mariner, Tasman Bitter etc. do not taste nearly as bad as their price would indicate.

I'm not saying they're good beers...I'm saying that for $25-$28 a carton you'd be a fool to think it was going to be any good.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Turner » Sunday Jun 10, 2007 4:20 pm

you do get the odd beer that is just f---ing disgusting though, no matter what the price. a good example would be CINTRA

there's no excuse for a beer being that bad.

i should also add that Toohey's Red is often good value in this respect
I'm not a fish
I'm a man
Hook in mouth!
Turner

Postby daz » Sunday Jun 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Amesterdam mariner is a good prospect in the 500ml cans, but oh my god , a good seesion on these ( for me) bought back memories of the old $2 chuck! Interesting somebodys bought up tooheys red. Was , in years past a drinkable beer till the boffins altered its make up. What your buying now was no where near as the original product. As a southpaw, i,m amazed there was little reaction up north. We simply stop buyin em when they made the change. Yes you get some value when the 30 can deals are on, overall they can stick their discount for altering a fair beer
daz

Postby JubJub » Wednesday Dec 26, 2007 9:58 pm

It is like drinking dirty water. I've tipped better brews than this. To think somebody even gets paid to make it. The only thing they havent done is put a sign on the end of the bottle saying "Ha, you paid for it" would be the only fitting end to the bad joke known as Amsterdam Mariner.

Jub
JubJub

Postby KEG » Wednesday Dec 26, 2007 11:41 pm

heh, if i'm after cheap beer, i'd pick this ANY day before going for carlton cold, VB etc.
KEG

Postby Richo68 » Saturday Dec 29, 2007 9:47 am

VB, Crown, Cold and the like are definately bad beers - but nothing, absolutely nothing tastes as bad as Tooheys Red. It shouldn't be sold as "beer". :? I reckon its beer flavouring added to soda water :D

Richo
Richo68

Postby Boonie » Sunday Dec 30, 2007 12:28 pm

Yeah it's crap.....took a case to a party and I left them in fridge after 2 of them :lol: .

Drank the Stella's he had instead.

The Hollandia and Bavaria are not bad for the price IMO......For sure there is better beers, but for the price...................... 8)

Heaps better than a case of Megaswill....

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Re: Amsterdam Mariner

Postby Snowdog » Saturday Feb 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Glad I bought only a single bottle the other day. It's the wastewater from Grolsch I think. A waste of two fiddy.
Snowdog

Postby Pale_Ale » Saturday Feb 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Snowdog wrote:Glad I bought only a single bottle the other day. It's the wastewater from Grolsch I think. A waste of two fiddy.

There are worse ways to spend it.

I still think it's better than VB, Carlton Cold, Carlton Draught etc., whic are locally produced yet still feel the need to jack up the price every 5 minutes and reduce the alcohol %.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Snowdog » Sunday Feb 17, 2008 5:11 am

True, except I wouldn't of spent it on VB, Carlton, XXXX, etc. I'd gladly drop it on an Old though.
I was just in an experimental mood, and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Snowdog

Postby palealemale » Wednesday May 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Being a marine scientist I feel a special affiliation with this beer (silly, but that's just me!).

It doesn't taste or feel like a top notch beer, but it tastes fine, quenches a thirst, and for $12 six-pack, you really are getting what you pay for - a reasonable beer at a reasonable price. I would drink Am Mariner any day over VB, Carlton Draught, Tasman Bitter, and other such over-priced unpleasant full strength beers.

Another cheapy but goody is Hammer and Tongs - picked up two cases for $50 and throroughly enjoyed my bargain purchase!
palealemale

Postby Clean Brewer » Thursday May 15, 2008 3:14 pm

I fell for the old Amsterdam Mariner trick to(cheap and needed a beer, saving for kegs). I think it is made from the water from the Amsterdam Marina(bilge water).

I still drunk them though, the only way I could drink them is by making them ice cold to hide the flavour and drink about 8 of them, once you are pissy, most things taste ok. Oh, you get 24 brewing bottles with the empties.
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby James L » Thursday May 15, 2008 3:37 pm

get the oettinger if you want something cheap... except its a decent beer...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby KEG » Thursday May 15, 2008 6:14 pm

yeah, oettinger pils is pretty decent... cheap as chips at safeway/woolies liquor outlets.
KEG

Postby Clean Brewer » Thursday May 15, 2008 7:03 pm

Yes, I bought the Oettinger before the Ams Mariner and it was much better for the same price, and you get bottles with it aswell.
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby Raw Beer Grin » Tuesday May 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Amsterdam Mariner is not that bad you snobby buggers.Better than some local swill that I can think of.OeTTINGER pils is a lovely beer for the price, top value.I've yet to taste a HB lager that has the crisp refreshing/filtered quality that a mega brewery can produce(maybe it's the pasteurisation :? ).Ales are easy (and flavoursome) to make in the shed, but a real refreshing lager requires something that HB just can't match.Always too much mouthfeel and too many esters for my palate.

RBG
A Rag Man, Rub Valuer.
Raw Beer Grin

Next

Return to The beer you buy