Coopers on special at Big W

Spread the word about cheap beer, or homebrewing equipment and supplies. Found something of interest on eBay? Post it here.

Postby Pommie » Monday Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm

totally agree with you Leigh.

If its my round I refuse to buy middies. If someone wants one they get a schooner and they can leave the rest if they want, invariably they drink it
Beats me why there are so many different sizes of glasses. 20 million people in the country and a size of glass for each of them, UK 65 million people and 2 glasses, halves for the ladies and maybe to top up your pint at the end of a night
Pubs serve beer in schooners because the heat warms the beer. Cant we have the beer in pints and drink faster?
Pommie

Postby Tourist » Monday Feb 05, 2007 3:50 pm

Pommie wrote: halves for the ladies and maybe to top up your pint at the end of a night

NO! Why do poms do this? I worked in a pub over there and blokes with a half-full (warm) pint buy another perfectly good half-pint and pour it in with the warm dregs so they can have a full pint and look hard. It's wrong.

Just drink it and buy another pint, girlie.

Yeah, I have issues with this.
Tourist

Postby lethaldog » Monday Feb 05, 2007 3:58 pm

Im sure noone picked up on it though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pommies drink warm flat piss by choice dont they :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Pommie » Monday Feb 05, 2007 4:00 pm

not been back to the UK for a few years so things may have changed but when serving ales the older customers usually held on to the same glass all night. As my dad and grandpa explained it was to do with the glass taking on a flavour, or maybe being rid of any cleaning agents, of the ale so the beer tasted better. Given that they had over 100 years of drinking experience between them I bowed to their superior knowledge.
Personally I'm a lager/stout drinker and would only drink pints in the UK
Pubs serve beer in schooners because the heat warms the beer. Cant we have the beer in pints and drink faster?
Pommie

Postby Pommie » Monday Feb 05, 2007 4:01 pm

we only drink warm piss because it winds the aussie barmen up :lol:
Pommie

Postby lethaldog » Monday Feb 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Then again maybe they are doing it right and we have it wrong, talk to Ross and he will tell you to serve beer at room temp basically, if i was gonna do that then i would just make a coffee :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Pommie » Monday Feb 05, 2007 4:08 pm

The brits have been brewing beer since Moses was a boy so they may know a thing or 2.
Probably a bit like a red wine, let it warm up a bit to let the bouquet come out

Bit of a climate difference as well so need colder beer in australia to cool you down although getting up and down every 5 minutes to fetch another middy/shmiddy would get a sweat going
Pommie

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 8:49 am

Pale_Ale wrote:425ml is a pint in Adelaide, a proper pint is called an Imperial Pint here...I demand a nationalised standard for names of beer glasses!

Have you never heard of the standard 7-oz glass? :wink: :lol:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 8:51 am

Ales definitely served at 'room temp'. That is, cellar temp - about 10degC. I lived in the north of england for 2 years and the ales were amazing. Every pub had a different ale on hand pull. Converted me from my lager swilling ways albeit temporarily :lol:

But funnily enough i like my lagers/pilseners to be cold, not 1-2degC as some people seem to have them but a good 5 degC is perfect.

I did noticed that some of the barflys getting their ales poured back in to their unclean pints. Maybe, since they had their own seats at the bar, they also had their own pint glasses......
drsmurto

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 8:53 am

lethaldog wrote:
SpillsMostOfIt wrote:Here, a schooner is a boat.

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

First time i went to NSW i walked up to the bar and asked for a pot, The barmaid looked at me and asked if i would like a middy or a schooner to which i replied "what the hell are they" i dont even think a middy is big enough to be used as a coke glass :lol:

...and of course Middy's are where you get electrical supplies if you've got your ticket... :shock:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Pommie » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 9:04 am

drsmurto wrote:Ales definitely served at 'room temp'. That is, cellar temp - about 10degC. I lived in the north of england for 2 years and the ales were amazing. Every pub had a different ale on hand pull. Converted me from my lager swilling ways albeit temporarily :lol:

But funnily enough i like my lagers/pilseners to be cold, not 1-2degC as some people seem to have them but a good 5 degC is perfect.

I did noticed that some of the barflys getting their ales poured back in to their unclean pints. Maybe, since they had their own seats at the bar, they also had their own pint glasses......

I'm with you, too cold and you lose a lot of the taste. Unfortunately in the UK, and same here, the boutique ales are harder to find as the big brewery chains convert the pubs to "Fun Pubs" & restaurants. They were the days when you went to a pub just for a drink with like minded individuals.

Now thats where you get "piss" and its not much better drinking it at 1-2 degrees
Pommie

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 9:17 am

Was in Durham so had no trouble finding ales, despite being a uni town. Could easily do an ale crawl and not drink the same one twice! There were plenty of chain pubs - the Walkabout was a monster in the centre of town but did good food :D , pity about the beer......
drsmurto

Postby Pommie » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 9:24 am

could be biased but the northern pubs were better for me, good ales and served with a decent head, down south was flatter beer, no head and may be what some criticisers of British ales are on about.
Often the Uni towns did have some good real ale pubs. The Uni I went to had a CAMRA exhibition each year, 3 days of drinking pints of good honest brews. Kebab for dinner!!!!
Pommie

Previous

Return to Bargain bin