Kits

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Kits

Postby beermeister » Friday Oct 08, 2004 6:15 pm

Hello All,

Oliver said in an earlier message that he had no feedback on the Coopers Kits, so I thought I would give one on my impressions so far.

For a start, they only cost $70, and like they say, they have everything that you need to make your own brew. However, I also bought a heating belt for around $35- from a specialty shop because my laundry/brewery is a bit cold.

The step-by-step guide is easy to follow, and the materials all seemed to be in good condition and of a high quality.

The hydrometer and some of the other extras such as the "liitle bottler," the sediment reducer and carbonation drops are very helpful. I can't help being weary of the PET bottles - plastic just doesn't seem right. But, we'll see! I guess it makes it easier than sourcing good quality glass bottles, which then have to be capped.

Anyway, the bottling was a breeze and currently undergoing secondary fermentation. I'm happy with the purchase and would recommend it to anyone - for what you get, the Cooper's Kits are good value.
beermeister

Postby grabman » Friday Oct 08, 2004 8:32 pm

Can't argue their Beermeister, I've only just started with a Coopers kit as well, my 6th brew is in at the moment. I've bought additional PET bottles as I had no dramas with first batch I brewed. My 2nd a Cider was flat but more do do I think with temperature and maybe reduced dextrose in initial batch to reduce alcohol. I've also aquired about 50 Grolsch swing-tops and about 60 glass stubbies.

The next thing to find is a good HBS, I'd recomment West Brew in Osborne Park, they've been really helpful to me. Mind you that depends on where you live, i have one closer but just don't find the old boy in there to be very helpful!

happy brewing, must go my Mexican Lager is almost ready to bottle.
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby sago » Friday Oct 08, 2004 9:20 pm

Concur that the Coopers kit is a great way to start on our wonderful hobby.Just on my third longneck of Coopers lager which although rather young is still palatable.Havn't made it to experimenting with adding extra hops or extracts yet as I am a lazy bastard and my forte lies in drinking the stuff of which I am rather good at.
sago

Return to Making beer