Iodine sanitiser

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Iodine sanitiser

Postby Pom » Saturday May 23, 2009 10:19 pm

I just watch a video on youtube by Joe polvino where he sanatises using a solution of iodine and water. I use Iodorfe for most of my sanatising but have access to iodine from work for free. Does anyone know what sort of solution should be made from water and Iodine and do I need to add anything else.
Cheers Rob
Pom

Re: Iodine sanitiser

Postby grahamredhead » Friday May 16, 2014 10:14 am

Hi Rob, I am not a brewer but a cheesemaker and I use iodine regularly for making cheese. I use a starting bulk solution with specs at 30g/litre available iodine. I add 1ml to 1.5 ml of that solution to a litre of water. That gives a very very light coloured solution. Don't add more iodibne to think you are getting a better sanitise, its not necessary. Ideally your equipment should be clean before sanitising and then it remains in that water for several minutes and well drained before use. The concentrated bulk solution smells quite strong, the diluted solution hardly smells, and if left to drain the residual iodine is all but gone. Be aware that different levels of concentration exist, and even medicinal grade can be used. Just make it up to that very very pale colour, even lighter than apple juice colour.
grahamredhead

Re: Iodine sanitiser

Postby Tipsy » Friday May 16, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi Graham,
Any chance on a few tips on making cheese?
I was looking at one of those kits you get in the home brew shops.
Tipsy

Return to Making beer