Some thoughts on cost

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Some thoughts on cost

Postby gregb » Tuesday Oct 05, 2004 6:22 pm

I have noticed that alot of brewers make the comment about things adding up the cost of a batch.

I will admit that if I can cut a cost I will, but I do find it helpful to rationalise the homebrew costing as follows

(All prices approximate based on my local HBS and supermarkets, and in $Aust.)

Assumption: That a special brew is at least as good as a premium beer from the commercial breweries.

Cost of a case of premium $45 ish

Tin of top quality mix $15
Liquid Malt 1kg $10
Hops either bags or plugs $5
Good yeast (Saf) $5

$35 you got at least 2 slabs from the batch. Down to $17.50 a slab. Can anyone remember when a slab was that cheap at the Bottlo?

$1.45 per stubby - bugger all really.

So head on out and grab the ingredients to do that special brew that you've been thinking of. You're so far ahead that it wont make a lick of difference in the long run.

BTW I dont recall ever going over $30 for a batch myself, but I got the base kit ( a Coopers Stout) on deep special from the Supermarket.

Cheers,

Greg
gregb

Re: Some thoughts on cost

Postby Isaac » Tuesday Oct 05, 2004 10:32 pm

A decent brew kit (say, Coopers premium range) should only cost around $12. Some of these include good yeasts - Coopers Pilsner and Bohemian Lager include Saflager - so there may be no extra expense there.

Assuming you need the extra malt, you can pick up unhopped liquid extract for under $9 for 1.5 kgs. Coopers Brew enhancer 2 is around 1/4 to 1/2 DME (not sure) and will substitute for an extra kilo of liquid malt extract in a pinch - and that's only $5.

Hops can be had in bulk and stored in the freezer for about $50 for a kilo (and that's the expensive stuff like Saaz - you can get Pride of Ringwood for under $25 a kilo), and assuming an ounce per brew the hops work out to be under $2 per brew.

Saf yeast - if you have to buy it - is about $3.50 for the lager strain and a shade over $2.00 for the ale strain.

This takes it to around $25 - pretty good value. At $35 I start to think it's better to buy. In any case, I'd shop around a bit - the prices mentioned are a little bit of a ripoff.
Isaac

Postby gregb » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 5:49 pm

I had rounded up to demonstrate that even at the very top dollar, it is still heaps cheaper than any thing you can get in the bottlo.

I brew mostly for the variety that I can get with some simple variations to the mix etc.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby morry » Thursday Oct 07, 2004 10:59 pm

The most expensive brew I have made cost about 45 bucks.
But it was:
Muntons Orig Bitter
2kg Dextrose
1.5kg Light Malt
Safale

So we got our moneys worth.
morry

Postby Evo » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 6:01 pm

Yeah, the James Squires range was up around $20 a can (apparently that's why my HBS pulled it). Add to that some malt, hops and yeast and it's getting up there. There's also the "Fresh Wort" kits that are around $30.

But I mean $30 - $35 for two cases of a top drop that you've made yourself. It's basically half the price of VB and ten times nicer. Still VFM (value for money) I say !
Evo

Postby wombat » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 7:49 pm

i'm with you guys. i just can't stand hearing someone whinge about how $30 for 2 cases of beer is expensive ;) i mean, you could always use a generic brand can of beer and add a kilo of bulk purchased sugar and you'd have your beer for less than $10, but the taste difference....
-wombat
wombat

Postby Marty » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 1:40 pm

The James Squire (Malt shovel) range you only need to add water. It costs around $17-18 x 2 (only brews 11 ltrs) but you don't need hops/sugar/malt extract etc. I reckon paying $35 for the best part of 2 1/2 slabs is pretty good. My last brew cost me $33 and I got 1 slab of stubbies and 17 longnecks out of it. Compare that to $50 for a slab of James Boags or Cascade and it's pretty good.

It's not just about value though. I brew because I like experimenting. I like being able to create a beer that I want to drink. You also get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. It's pretty cool when you give a home brew to a mate and they say "that's pretty good" (or words/expletives to that effect)

Marty
Marty

Return to Making beer