First Brew Results - Cascade Draught

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

First Brew Results - Cascade Draught

Postby Nathan » Saturday Oct 02, 2004 10:40 pm

I just tried my first brew, a cascade draught. It was fantastic. After 2 unsuccessful homebrew attempts 10 year ago, I packed up my kit until now. I called into the homebrew shop 4 weeks or so ago and last night had 5 stubbies which were great. I used a cascade draught can with a #15 brewblend by brewcraft. The beer was crystal clear, perfectly carbonated, a great creamy head which held for ages and the most important bit, a great taste. I served it ice cold in clean, rinsed glasses that had been in the freezer. Even my biggest critics, who bagged me when I said I was making homebrew were amazed. I just had to tell someone, I'm very excited and very hooked. I've got a cascade Pale Ale on now and will report on that too. What a satisfying hobby.
Last edited by Nathan on Thursday Oct 21, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan

Postby Daring Dave » Sunday Oct 03, 2004 12:33 am

Well done Nathan !

Ive just started too and whilst my 1st brew was drinkable my 2nd is looking REAL good.... A Coopers Draught....

Ive caught the brew bug too....

Cheers
Daring Dave

Postby poss » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 8:27 am

It is great to hear that other people are getting excited by this amazing process. although lately I have had some trouble it seems like part of the journey and I am learning more all the time mostly from the legends on this forum. I have recently done a casade harvest lager and look forward to trying it this weekend.
cheers poss 8)
poss

Postby Oats » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 11:45 am

Hi Guys,
OK then Im obsessed! :D bought a kit (Coopers) well Fathers day pressie really! Then heard about racking...so off to HBS and got a 2nd fermenter!
Then mate said he hadnt made a brew for months (mind you he has enough stored to last a decasde) so in jumped another 2 fermenters! :lol:
I now have a Cider, Pale Ale and a Pils all going at once!
Have finished drinking all the first brew......and went to a party with a West End Draught keg on tap that tasted bloody awful after drinking my home brews! (very bitter and next to no malt flavour)...so im hooked!

and COST? is irrelevant....its the taste im after! 8)
Oats

Cost

Postby Nathan » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 8:29 pm

Yeah, right on Oats, I couldn't care less about the cost. I just love the satisfaction of drinking my own beer (as I am right now) that tastes as good if not better than the commercial stuff. I love the process, the whole experience.
Nathan

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Oct 06, 2004 9:13 pm

Hey guys, speaking of costs, I just talked the missus into letting me purchase a 7 gallon brew pot at a cool 200 bucks. All grain brews here I come.

Truely you can pay it back in less than a year but like you are saying, I just love the Hobby. My neighbour dumped 35K on a Harley, just imagine the micro brewery I can develop for that cost

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Evo » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 8:32 pm

You guys rock ! You've just given me justification for the $'s I've laid out (not that I needed justification). And yeah, you're bang on Dogger, $35K for a noisy motorbike or a mere fraction of that for my own brewery and my own pub (of sorts).

It's an inexpensive hobby when you put it into perspective and one that can actually save you money. Well, maybe.
Evo

Return to Making beer