Green (young) homebrew - upset stomach?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Green (young) homebrew - upset stomach?

Postby wazza » Sunday Sep 26, 2004 10:43 pm

Hi Guys

OK I was a but keen and cracked a bottle of 3 week old cerveza for the game this arvo .... well it tasted green but not too bad

An hour later I had stomach cramps etc .... now I been within running distance of the dunny and been weeing out my bum for a few hours.

Don't really think I'd eaten anything besides some toast ... so am inclined to think it was the beer.

Anyone else had homebrew make them crook? or am I being harsh in blaming my brew?

Cheers

Wazza
wazza

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 27, 2004 9:23 am

Not I, although things can be pretty nasty the next morning after a night on the dark beers!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Sep 28, 2004 8:14 am

I never said it wouldn't make you sick, I just said it wouldn't kill you. Just so you know, I wouldn't be to quick to blame the homebrew. If it is going to make you ill, you will know it, it smells bad and tastes foul and you really don't wan't to get your lips around it.

I'd be laying the blame on the toast, you know what you did was fine as far as clenliness goes, you also know I believe strongly in clenliness. As an aside, you can't sterilizer your equipment, you can only sanitize it, there is a difference folks. There are countless stories on manufacturers producing kife. (I hope it wasn't your missus homemade stuff, she will never have me over for dinner now)

So you have a choice, try it again and risk it or dump it. If you can try a couple on a couple of people you don't like then go for it. I often used the dog but he now hates beer which is all the better for me.

Anyway man, I am sorry about your demise and hope you get over your bout of stomach flu soon.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby wombat » Friday Oct 08, 2004 12:08 am

i got sick off a mate's home brew on tap once. it was his first attempt at a kegged beer and it was just a can and white sugar. it left a broccoli after taste in your mouth... and in the toilet bowl... on the floor.....
i figured it was just the alcohol that made me sick, though that broccoli aftertaste really got to me. anyone else noticed odd flavours from their kegged beer? i had another home brew beer on tap at the local brew store which consisted of a can, 500g light malt, 500g dextrose and some hallertau finishing hops and it was bloody fantastic. half way through the second glass though i did notice a very mild banana like flavour in the beer. can't figure that one out - or the other one ;)
well done kegged brew is the best ever :)
oh yeah, i forgot to mention. the broccoli tasting brew had been in the keg for only like 1 week or something.
-wombat
wombat

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Oct 08, 2004 12:59 pm

The banana flavour is an ester and these are often found in home brews, there are 4 esters you can get, banana, apple, pear and one other fruity flavour, none of which is broccoli.
Esters are by products from the yeasts and will not hurt you, in some cases they are required for the brew.

Always remember though, the 23 beer is always skunky :)-

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer