Common question: Cooper's kit yeasts

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Common question: Cooper's kit yeasts

Postby Oliver » Thursday Mar 31, 2005 1:15 pm

To summarise some previous posts on what yeast comes with what Cooper's brew:
<ul><li>The International Series Australian Pale Ale and the Premium Selection Sparkling Ale, Australian Bitter, Traditional Draught and Heritage Lager come with a blend of lager and ale yeasts.

<li>The Original Series (Lager, Real Ale, Draught, Bitter, Stout and Dark Ale) are all ale yeasts.
<li>International Series Canadian Blonde is ale.
<li>International Series Bavarian Lager and Brewmaster Selection Pilsener are Saflager (P is stamped next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Wheat Beer is a wheat beer yeast (W next to useby date).
<li>Brewmaster Selection Nut Brown Ale is (was, as it's now discontinued) an ale yeast (but different to the Original Series yeast).
<li>Brewmaster Selection India Pale Ale is an ale yeast, but I'm not sure what type.
<li>The Irish Stout comes with an ale yeast.
<li>The International Series Mexican Cerveza is an ale/lager blend
</ul>
If anyone's got any further information, please share.

Cheers,

Oliver

* Edited 4/4/05 to include info about lager/ale blend with Australian Pale Ale.
* Edited 14/4/05 to include info about the Premium Selection.
* Edited 30/11/05 to include info on yeast with Mexican Cerveza and Irish Stout.
Last edited by Oliver on Wednesday Nov 30, 2005 12:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Antsvb » Thursday Mar 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Thanks Oliver.
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Thursday Mar 31, 2005 7:35 pm

In the interests of research for this thread, I bought an International Series Australian Pale Ale. The date stamp on the yeast has the letter code "PA".

I am not knowing what the yeast is, but we must respectfully be assuming it is an ale but the distinguishing stamp might be indicative of it not being the same as the other ale yeasts isn't it.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Postby gregb » Thursday Mar 31, 2005 8:53 pm

A very fair assumption, and I would probably have made the same one if I had bothered to look when I did my last Aus Pale Ale.

I had spotted the W on the coopers wheat beer yeast when I did one of them recently.

Of course the PA could also stand for 'Pretty Awful' :D
gregb

Postby Isaac » Friday Apr 01, 2005 5:30 pm

I've used both Saflager and the yeast that came with a Cooper's Bavarian Lager.

They seemed to have different properties to me - the saflager made interesting patterns in the bottom of the fermenter as I was emptying it (high flocculation) but the yeast in the Bavarian Lager didn't.

The Bavarian Lager didn't work out so I don't know what it would have done in the bottle but it certainly looked nothing like Saflager. Had a try as the fermentation finished and it didn't taste like it used a lager yeast either (but then it was fermented at about 22C, no freezer to keep it cold at that point).
Isaac

Postby Oliver » Saturday Apr 02, 2005 11:54 am

Isaac,

This may well be the case. It's my understanding that there are actually different types of Saflager yeast.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Ilike'emfizzy » Friday Oct 07, 2005 6:42 pm

I just bought 2 pale ale kits, and noticed that they give you the same instruction sheet as supplied with the Bavarian Lager.
Confused, I looked up on the Coopers website the instructions for brewing Pale Ale, and it says:

"Ale yeast strains are generally the most reliable for home brewers, fermenting quickly and effectively. Ale yeast is supplied with most home brew kits."

Not exactly clear.

I need to know what temps to keep, as its getting pretty hot. Plus after 3 lager brews, I dont have the patience for another 4-5 week wait.

Cheers
( Im Blind right now )
Ilike'emfizzy

Postby john boy » Friday Oct 07, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks for the info Oliver, brewed a Trad. Draught today and was curious about the yeast. Now I know.
john boy

Postby Oliver » Saturday Oct 08, 2005 10:46 am

Ilike'emfizzy wrote:I just bought 2 pale ale kits ... I need to know what temps to keep

Go 18C-22C, if you can keep it in that range. That way you'll get a nice aley taste. You could brew colder if you wanted, but you'll just end up with something with more lager characteristics than ale, due to the ale yeast being inactive at low temperatures and the lager yeast doing all the work.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Ilike'emfizzy » Saturday Oct 08, 2005 2:23 pm

Cheers Oliver
( Im Blind right now )
Ilike'emfizzy

Postby GT Al » Saturday Nov 26, 2005 7:47 pm

I brew my ales at 21 degC and have no complaints what so ever, damn fine brews actually, as I only brew ales I cannot comment on lager yeasts.

On another note, put down a Morgans Amber Ale using Wyeast Begium Abbey #2 yeast, just about ready to bottle, so can't wait to compare it to the Morgan's yeast version (yeah managed to keep a couple king browns for the comparo), which for me is bloody good. :lol:
Life is too short to drink inferior beers
GT Al

Postby colinw » Thursday Dec 01, 2005 9:38 am

Sorry to come in late on this.

My understanding of the yeasts used in Coopers kits is as follows:

- Original series. Original Coopers kit yeast, possibly the Mauri B512 strain.
- Canadian Blonde: Original Coopers kit yeast.
- Bavarian Lager, Pilsner: Saflager S-189 (not the more common S-23)
- Wheat Beer: Safale K-97
- Nut Brown Ale, IPA: Safbrew S-33
- Pale Ale, Australian Sparkling Ale, Heritage Draught, Australian Bitter, Traditional Lager: Ale yeast + Saflager S-189

Not sure whats in the new Irish Stout or the Mexican Cerveza.

The Bavarian Lager yeast certainly behaves like a Lager yeast, but not S-23. It isn't nearly as sulphury as S-23 and seems quite clean even at 18C, which suggests to me the report it is S-189 may be true as S-189 has similar attributes.

It t would be a bad move to include S-23 in a kit advising fermentation at ale temperatures, as S-23 is woeful at these temperatures. OTOH, S-189 can be used "steam beer" style in the high teens and produce a perfectly adequate but slightly fruity beer.

cheers,
Colin
colinw

Postby Oliver » Thursday Dec 01, 2005 10:28 am

Colin,

Thanks for the additional info. It should certainly come in handy.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Kippo » Sunday Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm

With the yeast in the coopers cans they say to ferment there ale yeast at 21-27degs for best results. However most people say to ferment ale yeast at 18-22degs. Are the temps that coopers state too high and produce fruity flavours, or are they the recommended temps for there particular strand of ale yeast?

Cheers, Kippo.
Primary: Coopers Bavarian Lager.
Secondary: Empty
Bottled and slammin' down: Coopers Lager, Coopers Draught and Coopers Bitter

Next Project: Some type of clone
Kippo

Postby Aussie Claret » Sunday Jan 29, 2006 2:52 pm

Kippo,
I believe that Coopers state to brew at these temperatures simply for ease, Many HB'ers may have problems to maintain temps around the 18-22 degree mark.
If brewing at the higher temps you would expect to have some fruitiness in the flavour and the home brew taste....

If you are able to maintain the lower temps, you will notice the benefits, no fruitiness and no home brew taste. IMHO.

Cheers
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby Aussie Claret » Sunday Jan 29, 2006 2:57 pm

Colin,
I have a question regarding the Saflager S-23, you seem to know a lot about the yeasts, reading you last post.

I have a Lager that I was intending to use S-23, it's a partial and will be fermented at 12c. From your comments you give the impression that this strain isn't too good, any reason why?

I also have some Saflager W34/70, would this be a better option in a pilsner style?

Cheers
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby yardglass » Sunday Jan 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Aussie Claret wrote:Colin,
I have a question regarding the Saflager S-23, you seem to know a lot about the yeasts, reading you last post.

I have a Lager that I was intending to use S-23, it's a partial and will be fermented at 12c. From your comments you give the impression that this strain isn't too good, any reason why?

I also have some Saflager W34/70, would this be a better option in a pilsner style?

Cheers
AC

i'm not the expert, but i do know i've had good to excellent results with the W34/70 and average from the S-23.

saying that, the S-23 was fermented at 21*ish.

yard
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby Aussie Claret » Sunday Jan 29, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks Yardie,
Ummm... I'm wondering if you didn't get the best results due to temperature.

If S-23 and W34/70 were brewed at the same temps (12c) which would be better.

THanks for the reply mate.
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby yardglass » Sunday Jan 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Aussie Claret wrote:Thanks Yardie,
Ummm... I'm wondering if you didn't get the best results due to temperature.

If S-23 and W34/70 were brewed at the same temps (12c) which would be better.

THanks for the reply mate.
AC

#2 partial just racked today(see blog) was in primary @ 11* with a combination of S-23 and Kit Yeast.
we'll see....

cheers
yard
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby NickMoore » Saturday Mar 25, 2006 11:47 pm

thought this was interesting from the cooper's site FAQ section:

"We don't recommend replacing all of the sugar with malt exract when using our home brew ale yeast."

so you can't do an all-malt with the yeast under the lid.
NickMoore

Next

Return to Making beer