THOSE BEGINNERS AGAIN

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby dab123 » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 10:56 pm

Hi Shawn, This one is a coopers 'DRAUGHT" but I never used the yeast that came with the can, instead I used a SAFALE, and instead of dextrose used a kilo of Dried malt extract, also added a 12 gram packet of morgans finishing hops ( HALLERTAU) that came in infusion brew bag,
The brew started fermenting within 2 hours, bubbling very strongly and still is. the original sg was 1050. and temp has remained steady at 24%c
you will notice this is pretty well as per your suggestions.
so its off to a great start and as I said I will rack this time.
if the final results are satisfactory I will have the first one on you.
cheers , dab.
dab123

Postby Gough » Friday Sep 17, 2004 9:46 am

Good stuff dab, hope it turns out well. Throw in another tea bag of hallertau when you rack if you like, and if you can, drop the temp a few degrees. I think you'll be impressed when you compare it to your first brews. The malt instead of the table sugar/dextrose on its own will make a big difference as will the better yeast. Hallertau is one of my favourite hops.

Just remember when you rack, coil the tubing in the bottom of your fermenter and DON'T splash or bubble. No foam! It's not rocket science though so you'll do it no worries I'm sure. Jeez, if I can do it... :)

Good luck,

Shawn.
Gough

Postby grabman » Thursday Sep 30, 2004 6:56 pm

Dab,

Quick question for you, what HOmebrew shop are you using in Perth. I've been to a couple and some are way better than others!
I'm a newbie as well, trying to ressurrect a cider brew at the moment and waiting for my Cascade Porter to finish fermenting, gave that a kick along with a stout improver and safale yeast as suggested by the brew shop. 5 days in the fermenter and doing nicely, just tested with hydrometer and then sampled the pour off, well a man couldn't waste it! It's dam drinkable now!!!!
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Oct 01, 2004 12:15 pm

Give it Chum, If ya can quaff it now then imagine how great it will be down the road with a bit of Carbonation. Happy happy joy joy.

Nice work

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Daring Dave » Friday Oct 01, 2004 10:17 pm

We have success !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost stopped at the pub for a 6 pack on the way home out of habit tonight till I remembered I had my own brew... :idea:

Thought Id try a sample of my 1st 2 brews tonight...
1st was a stock coopers lager....3 weeks in the bottle... Good head but doesnt last more than about 15-20 secs....slightly sweet taste..plenty of carbonation...Not too bad for a young beer.....

My 2nd was a coopers draught ..added 1kg dex and primed each bottle with sucrose...2 weeks in the bottle..WOW..BIG creamy 1 inch head thats lasted at least a minute..... Smells a little nicer than the lager and has a little more body / flavour....I cant wait to try this one again in 4-8 weeks time...If I can wait that long.... :shock:

Perhaps its just beginners luck but Im pleased so far with the results....They are both at least drinkable......but Im gonna try and hold off....

My 3rd brew is a coopers pale ale and this time Ive tried the 500g dex & 500g malt.....Didnt give it whole lot of thought but its part of learning to brew I guess...

Cheers

Daring Dave
Daring Dave

Beginners !!

Postby ol_mate » Saturday Oct 16, 2004 8:37 pm

G'day beer lovers,

I'm a novice, into my 4th brew, trying the Canadian blonde with some strawberry clover honey and coopers brew enhancer 1 .. I've heard adding some malt may help the flavour, although I don't want it sickly sweet .. anyone got any suggestions how much to add?? Cheers
ol_mate

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Oct 18, 2004 3:09 am

I stuck a reply on the other thread

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Beginner racking

Postby the Baron » Monday Oct 18, 2004 10:07 am

G'day, Have I been doing it wrong all this time, one of my mates said that you rack into your second fermenter when your bubling slowed down, I took this to mean just leave it for a week and then rack and this is what I have been doing, but from the sounds of this I should be racking after just 3-4 days, is this right and have I been wasting my time racking after about a week. My beer still tastes good but am I just not getting the full benifits by leaving it so long. Thanks
the Baron

Postby the Baron » Monday Oct 18, 2004 10:20 am

also how long do you leave it in the second fermenter for I have just been leaving it for about half a week to a week as I am a slacker (part of the reason I guess for leaving it in the primary fermenter for so long) Thanks to all
the Baron

Postby Gough » Monday Oct 18, 2004 10:33 am

Baron,

The simple answer is that different brewers swear by different methods. For what it is worth I think it is much better to leave your brew until it is pretty much fermented out before racking to avoid stuck ferments. I've racked every beer I've brewed in the last 2 and a half years and I've only had one problem - a stuck ferment when I racked a beer at half gravity. Since then I've waited until they've pretty much fermented out before racking and not had a problem. Other brewers do swear by the 'half gravity' method, although there seem to be fewer of them than there used to be... Give it a go both ways and make your own mind up I guess. I rack to help clear my beer and to allow it to condition/dry hop away from the big original yeast cake. To me it makes sense to do this later in the primary ferm. than earlier.

My 2 cents...

Shawn.
Gough

Postby the Baron » Monday Oct 18, 2004 7:43 pm

Thanks Shawn, made sense to me too.
I love you guys, you make my life better through better beer
This is the writ of the Baron, thou art truly blessed.
the Baron

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Oct 18, 2004 10:02 pm

I normally rack out of the primary in three days give or take as that is when the yeast cap drops. Associated with this is a dewcrease in CO2 production or less bubbling if you will.

As I am in plastic for the primary, once the real violent activity is complete I like to get it into a more secuse area to prevent bacterial infections. May be I am way to anal about it. Additionally it gets the beer off the spent hops and yeast. Just me, you can never argue with success so what ever is working with you

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Previous

Return to Making beer