Cooper's Real Ale Ginger Beer

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Cooper's Real Ale Ginger Beer

Postby Matty » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:01 am

Hey all,

I have a question for any one in the know about infections.

Last week, on Thursday, I put down a brew which was made up of:

1 Cooper's Real Ale kit
1 Brigalow Ginger Beer kit
500gm Light DME
1 Vanilla pod
11 Cloves
2 Cinnamon sticks
Hops at different stages

This was an attempt to make something similar, or at least as refreshing, as a Monteiths Summer Ale.

Because of the warm weather this brew was at a near constant 28'C, which I know is high but can still be acceptable. I racked it on the following Monday because the readings I got were 1.010 for 2 days in a row and am now still getting this reading.

I noticed some 'chunks' on the inside wall of the secondary carboy yesterday and opened the lid to have a look for a sec, and it looked like someone had sneezed in my brew!! Quite a few chunky floaters on the surface.
Are all infections bad for the brew, or if you catch it early enough before it takes over the whole brew, can it still be bottled and drunk with out ill effects, or does it just need to be turfed?
I'm assuming this is an infection even tho the brew smells and tastes fine, very fine actually, but less bittering hops next time.

Cheers,

Matty

P.S. Everything was sterilised before brewing and racking.
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby Oliver » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:06 am

Hi Matty,

Given that it tastes and smells fine, I wouldn't think it's an infection.

I don't know what the chunky bits are though. You sure you didn't sneeze in it :wink:

Perhaps it's caused by one of the ingredients?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:48 am

Yeh,

I have had yeast do that at some on some beers every now and again.

If it isn't smelling like a dead skunk and it is clearing OK all should be well

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Matty » Thursday Feb 03, 2005 11:53 am

Cool, I'll leave it in the secondary for another week or so the bottle it. I feel a little relieved now.

Cheers guys,

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Return to Making beer