Tricks and Tips

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Tricks and Tips

Postby Nathan » Friday Nov 19, 2004 8:15 am

I went and did the CUB tour in Abbotsford on Monday and at the after tour tasting had a couple of beers that I found very interesting, perfect for summer. They were Cascade's Spring beer and Hoegaarden. Both had a floral flavouring, the Cascade not as strong though. I spoke to the local HBS who told me to boil up 15g of orange rind and 15g of cracked corriander seeds (buy corriander and use a rolling pin I think). I'm going to try it with a wheat beer. Anyone had any experience with this or got any other tips for additives worth experimenting with? What about lemon rind with a Mexican style beer?
I went out and bought a second fermenter the other day cause I just can't keep up. I'm trying to stockpile but they are being drunk quicker than I can make them (not just by me, family and friends are very kindly helping me). Hopefully I can get ontop of things now.
Nathan

Postby db » Friday Nov 19, 2004 9:38 am

damn when i did that tour all they had to offer us was c.draught & their mid strength :( (did the msb tour a few weeks ago & it was fantastic.. the beer taps were flowing from the moment we arrived at 11am :D )

re: orange peel & corriander, check out this link to a top notch site ;)

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=140
db

Postby thehipone » Friday Nov 19, 2004 9:46 am

You can actually buy ground coriander seeds in the spice aisle at the supermarket. Probably much less of a pain than cracking it yourself. With the orange peel, just be sure you use the zest, try to minimize the amount of the white pith that you get when grating the peel, otherwise you can get some pretty nasty bitter flavors happening.

AS far as additives, dont overlook the most important one...
authentic belgian white beer yeast. I think the White labs belgian white yeast is the hoegaarden strain, or else its the celis white strain, either way, it's all good.
thehipone

Postby Nathan » Friday Nov 19, 2004 11:16 am

Thanks guys! DB whats the msb tour? What does msb stand for? I did the Boags tour in Launceston a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. Much better than the CUB one. Much more detailed and showed you through more areas of the brewery than CUB. Nice beer at the end too. Definitely worth a look if you're in Launy.
Nathan

Postby Nathan » Friday Nov 19, 2004 11:28 am

Sorry, worked it out, Malt Shovel Brewery right! I thought James Squire made Malt Shovel, not the other way round. Anyway, been checking out the website and I've added that tour to my agenda. Worthwhile you said?!?
Nathan

Postby db » Friday Nov 19, 2004 11:51 am

james squire is a marketing thing (j.s. apparently started australias 1st brewery)
def worthwhile - $25 for the tour & we left there roasted! on top qual beer.. & with a free bottle of golden ale, a msb bottle opener, & a msb glass too.. i'll be goin back for sure :D
db

Return to Making beer