So what ........

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

So what ........

Postby rain » Friday Nov 12, 2004 9:56 am

......... if some of the answer to my question has been supplied in other threads? I'm starting another, because I can!!
I have two fermenters, one large and one small, and I propose brewing about 50lt in the larger then transferring for a second fermentation. Obviously, about half will remain, and it's this half I ask for thoughts regarding any (IF any) effect there will be due to the increased atmosphere above the wort.
Oxygenation should not occur (well, not much), and I don't expect to disturb the settled stuff much either - so, gurus all, comments and advice please.

Yours in sipping, Tom. 8)
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby thehipone » Friday Nov 12, 2004 12:29 pm

My initial reaction would be no, since you'll still have yeast in the beer. Yeast are a pretty good oxygen scavenger and should eat most of it up. If you dont disturb the remaining stuff the actual amount of oxygen that gets into the beer should be small.

That's my opinion given what I've read before. Don't take it as gospel truth, but I'm a believer in "don't worry, brew happy".
thehipone

Postby gregb » Friday Nov 12, 2004 6:53 pm

Try it, see what happens,...

from the principle....

Try one, see what you think, try two see if you can think.
gregb

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Nov 12, 2004 10:14 pm

I do it all the time with no ill affects.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby db » Monday Nov 15, 2004 11:05 am

dogger, do you notice any difference between the 2 halves?
just asking because i'm starting to question whether i could be bothered racking.. i usually leave my brew in primary for around 4-5days then rack into 2nd for 5-7 days. i'm getting lazy & thinking about leaving it for 2 weeks in primary..
db

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Nov 15, 2004 10:05 pm

Yes, There are small differences but nothing that I have been able to notice if I didn't know they had been split.

Just make sure your sanitation procedures are top notch and you should be OK. Some people have told me that you should blow in a squirt of CO2 to give it a bed but I never have

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer