Lagering

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Lagering

Postby Matty » Sunday Nov 07, 2004 7:33 pm

I've got a couple of bottles of a Boysenberry Lager which I put in the fridge, about 4'C, immediately after bottling. Any one have any ideas on if/when they will mature if kept in the fridge? So far they have been in there for a couple of months.

Oliver, I remember reading in your beer log that your N0. 29 Cooper's Pilsner was still young tasting after 2 months. Did any of the bottles you kept in the fridge mature, or is this something which will never happen and I should just mature them normally?

Cheers,

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby wombat » Sunday Nov 07, 2004 10:31 pm

matty, i think you'll find that all beers in the bottle will benefit from 5 to 7 days at room temperature to carbonate fully before you lock them away for the "winter".

usually, cold conditioning (which is what i assume you mean) is something that happens in a secondary fermenter to which you've added your racked off beer from your primary and some tasty fresh hops to trap the aroma into the beer. this is a very cool thing to do to lagers (and even some pale ales i hear).

i'm pretty sure that yeast has a hard time trying to carbonate a bottle of beer at 4deg C. try leaving your bottles out of the fridge for 5 to 7 days before you put them back in to lager them.

-wombat
wombat

Postby Matty » Monday Nov 08, 2004 8:45 am

Hey Wombat,

The day I put the beer into the secondary for cold conditioning in the fridge I also bottled 2 bottles to see if there was any difference. The ones racked into the secondary I left in fridge for just over 1 month and bottled them a few weeks ago and have put them in a warmish spot as normal.
I was just wondering how long the 2 stored in the fridge would take to mature and carbonate ie: 6 months, 12 months, 2 years, never..... I know that the higher the temp they are matured in, the quicker they mature, with in reason. I thought that if the lower the temp you brew at the better, then maybe the lower the maturing temp the better?

Cheers,

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby wombat » Monday Nov 08, 2004 11:13 pm

lower temp + lots of good yeast + fast fermentation = good beer.
you just have to remember that yeasts don't really like to carbonate beer at much below 9-10deg for a good lager yeast and much below 16-18deg C for a good ale yeast. carbonation only takes 5 to 7 days though and maturing is still quite a mysterious process to me so i can't really give you any useful info as to what goes on in the bottle after then (i'm a programmer, not a biochemist lol).
i've never tried (that i'm aware of) carbonating at the 10 degree C lager temp - i might have to do that ;)
actually, as soon as i get a hold of a new lager fridge (i broke the last one), i'm going to put down a nice pilsner. i've even got a white labs wlp800 pilsner lager yeast standing by for the task. so after i bottle it out of cc'd secondary, i'm going to fridge a few bottles at between 10 and 12 deg C and compare them to my laundry shower ones (my expensive beer cellar).
hey, if anyone here lives in the shoalhaven and would like a wlp800 culture just let me know ok ;) also, maybe if you're lucky a wlp001 culture... though i'm pretty greedy with that one.... my precious......
-wombat
wombat

Return to Making beer