Bitterness - Oh dear!

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Bitterness - Oh dear!

Postby rain » Saturday Oct 30, 2004 4:06 pm

I fear the answer will be NO!
But I need to ask: Is there any way of reducing the bitterness of a, otherwise excellent, brew after it has been bottled?
:oops: :oops: :oops:
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Isaac » Saturday Oct 30, 2004 4:13 pm

Never tried it before - but if bitterness is a result of alpha acids, then maybe something basic might reduce the bitterness.

Try some bicarb soda?
Isaac

Postby rain » Saturday Oct 30, 2004 5:14 pm

Thanks, Isaac. How much a stubbie do you reckon, or should I simply increase till happiness is found? Duh!! Sprrrroo bbaly over the limit by then. :P
rain

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Oct 30, 2004 9:04 pm

Rain,

As far as I know you have to let it mellow with age. I have one in the keg right now that is way to hoppy and it is the last of my kit beers (This is what actually drove me to building my own all grain mashing system), It was an all mash thing from RJ Spagnols. They obviously had it way overhopped as all I did was add water and some honey. Prick Bastards refuse to pay me back, continue to blame me that I obviously added hops

Whatever first and last eh?

It is good to propogete yeast in though

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

"Mixer"

Postby Oliver » Thursday Nov 04, 2004 4:18 pm

Rain,

Have you thought about using this very bitter brew as a "mixer", and cracking one bottle of this and a bottle of a less bitter brew at the same time and mixing them in the glass?

You could start with 50-50, and adjust the proportions from there.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby wombat » Thursday Nov 04, 2004 5:22 pm

if you don't have an underhopped brew lying around, just buy a six pack of some commercial beer that you know is underhopped but at least drinkable and mix that. i do that sometimes, because i have a habit of overhopping rather than underhopping ;)
-wombat
wombat

Postby rain » Thursday Nov 04, 2004 7:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I was about to make a similar error with my next brew.
Damn!
I now have to redesign what I intended. Still, waiting for the bitterness to dissipate (Dogger's idea) will be a good lesson in patience. :oops:
rain

Postby dab123 » Tuesday Nov 09, 2004 11:01 pm

Being bought up and weaned on special best bitter in england,
forgive me if I beg the question " HOW CAN A BEER BE TOO BITTER"
in the counties of Essex, Kent, & Middlesex at least they would argue
as to who could produce the best and most Bitter ale.
dab123

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Nov 10, 2004 4:01 am

Rain,

You could waiting for the second coming if you know what I mean. I was kind of partial to the blend ideas. My recent bitter I choked down but it could have killed a horse as it was I was puckered for a week. My dreams were awful vivid to LOL. Wish I was smarter to ask, will put it in my back pocket for next time

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby rain » Wednesday Nov 10, 2004 11:00 am

dab! dab! dab! (I sound like a Cub Scout), Dogger Dan said:

"My recent bitter I choked down but it could have killed a horse as it was I was puckered for a week.", and when I suck in my breath over my brew so that my eye-balls take the place of my tonsils then I suspect the bitterness is too great.
Besides, anyone named Kent having sex with Es, or Middle has to be a 'bit off', don't you reckon?
rain

Return to Making beer