Double-kit brew?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Double-kit brew?

Postby bmorey » Friday Oct 22, 2004 9:51 pm

These days I steer clear of supermarket packs - in past years I found these made very ordinary beers.

Anyone tried using two cans of supermarket beer mix in a batch (with no extras)? It would be stronger but might also have some flavour, and would be cheaper than augmenting a kit with a brewpack. Two packs in 30 litres might be OK....

Currently brewing: cider - Black Rock + 1kg dextrose + 250 gm lactose + 6 Fuji apples. OG 1.040.
bmorey

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Oct 22, 2004 10:01 pm

For the difference in value you are better off getting a good can and driving on. If you are going to dink around with something you may as well stack the odds in your favour so rather than double cans of crap buy 1 good can and then malt it up with reputable malts and good hops.

Remember two times dick all is still dick all.

Personally, I would find it easier to dump 19 Liters of kife on my neighbour rather than 30 Litres

Just my opinion

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Saturday Oct 23, 2004 7:34 am

There has been much discussion about Homebrand kits, so I thought I do some research.

I visited this morning my two local (Sydney Metro) supermarkets (Coles & Woolies)
Coles:
Coopers White tins $9.99
Coopers Int'l $11.98
Cascade $13.99
Tooheys $10.98
Wander $9.98
Farmland (the homebrand) $7.06

Woolies:
Coopers White tins $9.49
Coopers Int'l $11.98
Tooheys $9.49
Homebrand $7.48

Both Homebrand and Farmland listed thier ingredients along the lines of "Hopped malt extract, concentrated brewing wort" Which whilst a little vague is what we are looking for. But there are varying degrees of quality in the barley and hops etc.

IMHO: spend the extra $2 and go with Coopers white tins if you are on a budget. The difference is about 4 or 5 cents a stubby.

Has anyone had a bad brew from a Coopers tin (That wasn't thier own silly fault)?

And to prove the Beer Gods were smiling on my efforts I found a tallie on the way home.

Cheers,

Greg.
gregb

Postby sago » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 8:01 pm

This should blow the purists away.
Tonight I put down a brew I shall call The Black Enamel Camel.
I had a Coopers stout tin I bought around 1992 which has been stuck in the garage until I got of my arse and started brewing again.I put in a normal Coopers lager with it along with the provided yeast and bunged in another yeast packet along with a dry enzyme to scavenge the extra sugars.The stout contents looked and smelt fine so I bunged them in.
S.G. is 1070 so I shall watch this with interest.Just began to bubble so fermentation has begun.
This is one brew I shall definately allow a couple of months to mature in the bottle if it makes it that far.
It tasted alright from the S.G. sample I took but if it doesn't work I can use it to kill the snails in the garden.
Was perfectly sober when I put this down so this signifys mid life crisis.
Most blokes would buy a Harley or have a steamy affair with a dolly bird but this is a cheaper option.
Will post progress or otherwise.
sago

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 9:18 pm

Mid life crisis, just to put it into perspective, my mate dropped 45k on a Harley, just imagine the micro I can put in for that

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer