Cascade Kit Yeast

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Cascade Kit Yeast

Postby thehipone » Wednesday Oct 20, 2004 3:24 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know anything about the strain of yeast that comes with the Cascade kits besides that it is "Bohemian" and I assume an ale yeast? Is it a strain from an actual European brewery? I put down the lager kit that I won at the Brisbane Beer festival the other day. I'm mainly curious as to what I can expect and how cold it will be happy fermenting. I've had it at the cool range of the "recommended" temperature range to keep things slow and give me some time to consume my other batches :)
thehipone

Postby bmorey » Friday Oct 22, 2004 9:55 pm

With a name like 'Bohemian" I would assume it was a lager yeast, Bohemia being in the same general area of Europe.
bmorey

Postby Marty » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 1:30 pm

According to the kit instructions the temperature range for the Bohemian yeast is 19-26C so it is very unlikely it is a true lager yeast as a lager yeast ferments below 14C. Cascade have a website http://www.cascadehomebrew.com.au which may have some more information or a contact number/email.

Marty
Marty

Postby thehipone » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 3:49 pm

Yeah, I had looked at the website and guessed that it was an ale yeast based on the recommended temperature ranges. It's only the wicked sulfur smell coming off the fermenter that made me guess that it could be a lager yeast, but I guess ale yeast can make H2S too.

Didn't know if anyone was on the "inside" and had any more information.
thehipone

Postby Evo » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 5:32 pm

Yeah, I too had a bash at this yeast. Being a bohemian myself ;)

It fermented really slowly and without much bubbling and made that lovely smell not unlike Rotarua. I thought then that it may be a lager yeast and I had stuffed up, but the smell went away and I was left with a damn nice beer. Just supping one at the moment actually.

And speaking of Cascade yeast, does anyone have any thoughts on the kits they've put out ? Have you tasted yours yet thehipone ?
Evo

Postby gregb » Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 7:34 pm

Have brewed and tried Golden Harvest Lager and Choclate Mahogany Porter.

The GHL was quite a fine lager, and I will do it again.

Totally underwhelmed by the CMP, nothing wrong with it per se, it just didnt seem to hold up to expectation. Looking at the schooner on the counter before the first sip, it looks like a nice dark ale, but seems to be lacking something in the taste. Just seemed small.
gregb

Postby thehipone » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 9:41 am

My lager still in the fermenter right now. It's going to get some cold conditioning, so it wont be ready for a while.

I have made the draught previously and it turned out wonderfully. It's got just a hint of wheat tartness.

I can definitely say the yeast is highly flocculent. The draught was one of the clearest beers I've ever made.
thehipone

Postby grabman » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 10:46 am

Greg, I've brewed the porter and am very impressed with it, mind you did add a stout booster and use Saflager yeast as suggested by HBS.

I've now brewed all the Cascade range and am impressed with all of them! The Spicy draught is a great drop, may well become my summer favourite, the pale ale is a great drop as well.

Simon
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby gregb » Wednesday Oct 27, 2004 6:27 pm

Yeah, agree totally, the Porter needs more malts in the mix to get it moving along.
gregb

Postby Marty » Wednesday Nov 03, 2004 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I've just sampled my CMP and have to agree that the taste is a bit weak. In the glass it looks fantastic and it has quite a nice aroma but it lacks a bit of flavour. My wife really likes it though because it "doesn't really taste like beer" Not exactly what I was aiming for. As it warms up in the glass it does start to have a bit of a burnt/dark flavour to it but it's pretty subtle.

I have a couple of questions for those that have brewed it.

I added 500g dried AME and 500g Maltodextrin. Also boiled it with Northern brewer hops and used a liquid London ale yeast.

Does it improve a bit with age? I only bottled it just over two weeks ago so I'm hoping it might develop a bit with time.

Would replacing Maltodextrin with AME give it bit more flavour?

Marty
Marty

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Nov 10, 2004 2:40 pm

Marty,

Malt extract would give it a bit more flavour, as well as a bit of sweetness and body.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer