Lifetime of a sanitizer

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Lifetime of a sanitizer

Postby the Baron » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 8:59 pm

Hey, I was just wondering does anyone know the lifetime of a sanitizer. I have two fermenters. I sanitize one, then when it is done I tip the sanitizer into the second fermenter and close this and drop a brew into fermenter number 1. When the brew has fermented, I tip the sanitizer from my second fermenter into my bottles (I use plastic screw tops and close these) and rack into my second fermenter. After a couple of days I tip the sanitizer down the drain and bottle. I was just wondering would the sanitizer still be potent enough to do a second trip through the fermenters or would it lose its effectiveness and allow some Spartan bacteria to come and rape and pillage my brew. Thanks
the Baron

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 11:11 pm

The nose knows. If you can smell it is working

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer