Yeast Farming Confusion

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Yeast Farming Confusion

Postby jello » Sunday Aug 07, 2011 10:20 am

I'm going to start farming my yeast. Not only for the cost saving, but for learning more home brewing skills.

It seems however, that there's a discrepancy, or I'm reading the tutorials in the wrong context. Probably the latter.

In this article, the good doctor instructs us to discard the milky liquid, and keep the solids.

But in this article, we're instructed to keep the liquid, and discard the solids.

:shock:

Am I understanding this incorrectly, or is there a discrepancy between the two methods? I'd appreciate if you guys could clarify.

Cheers
Jeff.
jello

Re: Yeast Farming Confusion

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Aug 07, 2011 10:34 am

4. Let it sit for 5-10 mins and then pour off and discard the milky suspension leaving the solid on the bottom of the container behind (the liquid you pour off is usually cold break and contains a small amount of yeast but not enough to worry about).

Not sure why i wrote this as it's wrong. :oops: The milky suspension is the yeast, the solids are the cold break. Discard the solids, keep the liquid.

Oliver/Greg - could you please edit the 'Making yeast starters and reusing yeast' sticky replacing step 4 in the yeast farming section with the following.

4. Let it sit for 5 mins and then pour off the milky suspension leaving the solid on the bottom of the container behind (the solid left behind is cold break and contains a small amount of yeast but not enough to worry about).
drsmurto

Postby gregb » Sunday Aug 07, 2011 10:40 am

Updated.
gregb

Postby jello » Sunday Aug 07, 2011 10:47 am

Thank guys! :D
Jeff.
jello

Return to Making beer