Has my beer finished fermenting?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Has my beer finished fermenting?

Postby Milan » Wednesday Oct 13, 2004 9:41 pm

Bought a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit and I'm unsure if it has completed the fermenting process. Started the batch about 8 days ago. OG ~ 1042. Temp was around 19-20 deg. It bubbled slowly for 4 days and then stopped at SG 1020. I gave it a shake and it started bubbling for another day. I've measured the SG at ~ 1013 the last couple of days and there has been no activity. Do you think the brew has finished? Do I need to kick start it again to get a lower FG of say around 1008?
Milan

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 5:49 am

I'd say you are done but I always judge off of clarity rather than bubbling (although if it was bubbling and clear I would have issues)

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Thursday Oct 14, 2004 10:13 pm

Hi,

It should be finished. Depending on your ingredients 1013 isn't beyond the realms of possibility if you allow for about 75% attenuation.

Beers don't just stop fermenting if the temperature is right. If it starts and the temp is maintained, the only reason it should stop is that there's no more sugar there for the yeast to ferment.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guest » Friday Oct 15, 2004 8:52 pm

Thanks for your help. I bottled the brew last night and I'm looking forward to tasting it in a couple of weeks.

Return to Making beer