Storing yeast starter??

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Storing yeast starter??

Postby HARMSY » Friday Apr 29, 2011 7:12 am

People,

My starter appears to have worked well, a small yeast cake has formed and is currently sitting in my fridge waiting to be pitched. How long can I keep it in there?? I planned on having the brew done by now but brew shop stuff up and work commitments means I won't get it sown until Sunday....

Harmsy
HARMSY

Re: Storing yeast starter??

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 29, 2011 7:38 am

Keeping it in the fridge a few more days won't hurt it. A lot of people store yeasts for up to a few months by making a starter, pouring the beer off the yeast cake then adding some cool, pre-boiled water. This way you can also 'split' the yeast cake by pouring the slurry off into a couple of vessels to be used for making starters with again at a later date. This is a good way of minimising the cost of the more expensive liquid yeasts, as a $13 pack could be used for upwards of 6 brews.
bullfrog

Re: Storing yeast starter??

Postby HARMSY » Friday Apr 29, 2011 11:16 am

Cheers for that, Wast sure if I had to tip the beer off it to store it, will replace with some chilled boiled water tonight.
HARMSY

Return to Making beer