Knowing when to bottle my first brew...

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Knowing when to bottle my first brew...

Postby magictorch » Tuesday Oct 12, 2004 3:31 pm

I started my first brew almost 3 weeks ago and have kept it in it's own fridge at about 10 degrees centigrade since. As I used Saflager yeast it's been bubbling away quite happily, and the SG has reduced from 1070 to about 1010, the last measurement taken a couple of days ago. I'm gonna measure it again today.

If the SG is 1010 again, do you reckon that'll mean that the fermentation has finished? I'm a little concerned that the low temperature might hamper the final fermentation of the sugars, or that it'll be too slow to measure accurately over a couple of days.

Should I take it out of the fridge for the next few days and monitor it's progress at a warmer temperature? Or am I being overly anxious? :?
magictorch

Postby thehipone » Tuesday Oct 12, 2004 4:25 pm

Hi,

Well, with lagers patience is a virtue. That said, at around 1010 you're getting to the point where fermentation is probably close to finished. If the hydrometer reading is the same over a 4 day period its almost certainly done, go ahead and bottle it. With the high OG, I'd say there will probably be a decent amount of unfermentables in the mix, so 1010 seems like a reasonable FG.

A day or 2 at a warmer temperature may help the yeast eat up some of the off-flavors that they have made, in addition to putting your mind at ease if you decide that you want to wait a bit before botlting.

Congratulations on your first batch. And be patient while it sits and matures...
thehipone

Postby Gough » Tuesday Oct 12, 2004 4:37 pm

Yep, what thehipone says. Give it a day or so sitting at 18-20 degrees and then bottle away. 1070! A Doppelbock? Nice big lager either way. You've done well to get it to attenuate to 1010 with saflager. Should be great.

Shawn.
Gough

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Oct 13, 2004 4:19 am

Concur, enjoy

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer