Sanitised keg

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Sanitised keg

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 8:02 am

I filled a keg with an idophor solution a few weeks ago, and sealed it up. Do you think it'll still be well enough sanitised to rack straight into, or should I re-sanitise?
Chris

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 8:07 am

You litteraly filled it to the top, and left it in there when you sealed it? Should be no worries then!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 8:25 am

Yeah, right up to the top and sealed. I thought that it should be alright, but want some confirmation.
Chris

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 9:05 am

Chris wrote:Yeah, right up to the top and sealed. I thought that it should be alright, but want some confirmation.

Well, my process with my fermentors is:

#1 Scrub with non abrasive sponge and no soap. (can be skipped for kegs because there should be no crusties).

#2 Rinse with sanatiser of choice (I use water with a splash each of vinegar and bleach, then rinse a few times, but prepared Iodophor would work just as well).

#3 let it dry and sit until I am ready to use it.

#4 spray with Iodophor and use.

No reason you couldn't use the same process in your kegs. Leaving it full of Iodophor solution is heaps better than anything I ever do with my equipment and I have not had an infection yet. Also you are putting fermented beer in the keg not wort.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 9:54 am

I leave about a litre of one-shot in the leg for a few days at a time, shake the shit out of it and then seal it up. As long as its sealed its all good. Release pressure and then your away.
drsmurto

Postby Haggy » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 10:18 am

Silly question - new to Home Brewing. What is Iodophor, you mention you "spray" it in, does it come in a spray can or is a solution that I can make up?

From reading, it would appear that you can leave iodophor in the fermenter/keg without rinsing out? True?

Regards,
chris
Haggy

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 10:22 am

Idophor is an iodine and phosphoric acid based sanitiser. It comes as a 'concentrate' that usually you dilute to 10mL per 10L from memory. You can dilute it and put into a spray bottle to spray it.

Iodophor is a non-rinse sanitiser. You simply drain the vessel and let air dry for 30sec or so- if you can be bothered.
Chris

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 10:35 am

:lol: Another Chris...

Iodophor is great stuff. I mix up 1ml per litre and put it in a 1L spray bottle (the kind you get at woolies from the gardening section). I just give everything a good squirt before I use it and never had any problems!

I sure do not miss the old days of soaking in various things for hours before I could start brewing!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby OldBugman » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 10:57 am

Kevnlis wrote:
Chris wrote:Yeah, right up to the top and sealed. I thought that it should be alright, but want some confirmation.

Well, my process with my fermentors is:

#2 Rinse with sanatiser of choice (I use water with a splash each of vinegar and bleach, then rinse a few times, but prepared Iodophor would work just as well).

Bleach and other chlorine based chemicals should be avoided with use with stainless equipment.

I'm a fan of bleach and vinegar but not on stainless.
OldBugman

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 11:27 am

I use idophor for everything now, except when a fermenter needs a GOOD clean out. Then, and only then is it bleach.

Anyway, as far as the keg goes, it's now full of pilsner.
Chris

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 11:30 am

OldBugman wrote:Bleach and other chlorine based chemicals should be avoided with use with stainless equipment.

I'm a fan of bleach and vinegar but not on stainless.

My understanding was that it was fine to use, as long as it is not left in contact with it for an extended period of time.

Rinsing with it, then rinsing it away is no problem AFAIK. Also at that dilution I don't think it could cause any real harm even if left in contact?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 11:42 am

Kevnlis wrote::lol: Another Chris...
mwahahaha....
KEG

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 11:46 am

Kev, from what I've heard, it is a really bad idea to use anything that might corrode the ss. Apparently even low concentrations can pit the ss.
Chris

Postby Shaun » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Chris wrote:Kev, from what I've heard, it is a really bad idea to use anything that might corrode the ss. Apparently even low concentrations can pit the ss.

Correct chlorine based clears/sanitizes should not be used on SS. If you need to clean the keg as opposed to sanitize it use keg and line cleaner, you can get it from most HBS.
Shaun

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Learn something new every day. Hope the drain in the tub is OK :shock:

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB-1.html
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 2:34 pm

I dont use bleach to clean my kegs but as long as you dont soak them with it and rinse carefully you wont have any problems, particularly if you dilute the bleach (which you should as you dont need much of it).

I shifted to one-shot (another no rinse sanitiser) when i moved to AG but i used to use bleach all the time. Cheap as and 2L goes a long way. I now use the keg and line cleaner as already mentioned, tis what the commercial boys use and recommend.
drsmurto

Postby Haggy » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Iodophor is great stuff. I mix up 1ml per litre and put it in a 1L spray bottle (the kind you get at woolies from the gardening section). I just give everything a good squirt before I use it and never had any problems!

I sure do not miss the old days of soaking in various things for hours before I could start brewing!

Any links to who sells it?

Cheers
Chris
Haggy

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 4:51 pm

Haggy wrote:

Any links to who sells it?

Cheers
Chris

I got mine from Grain and Grape.

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=7665
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Most HB shops have it, as well as any place that supplies the dairy industry.

Where you get it from really depends on where you live. GrainandGrape are a pretty good source for everything though if you're local HB store doesn't stock it.
Chris

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Oct 19, 2007 2:08 pm

FWIW - all my kegs are cleaned with Napisan and rinsed. I then spray with Iodophor, seal, burp with CO2 and put in the cellar ready for re-use.

Occasionally I brasso the exterior and give the rubber foot and carry handles a go over with armour-all....yes, I'm obsessed yada yada!!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Next

Return to Kegging