alternative CO2 bottles

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

alternative CO2 bottles

Postby rahne » Tuesday May 22, 2007 10:52 pm

now i've read a heap into using a fire extinguisher as a co2 cylinder. my question is can you use a brand new normal lpg bottle with the right connector as these bottles have not had gas in them (or have they during testing though i thought they use plain air)
rahne

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday May 23, 2007 9:14 am

Not sure if you can or cant but i think you would have trouble getting the filled, this is why not many use the fire extinguishers, unless you have a mate that is a fireman then you could probably get it refilled :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday May 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday May 29, 2007 10:08 am

Our firefighters sell converted tanks and fill them too. They amazingly were the group who linked me in for my keg set up.

I am not sure the fittings are right for a propane tank. and filling it could be a bit of a trick. I just can't see BOC filling a propane tank with CO2.

Trough Lolly, do you have to keep the valve open on that one in your link?

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday May 30, 2007 1:03 pm

No Dogger - the fitters and turners among us have crafted brass adaptors that allow the standard CO2 reg to hook onto the fire extinguisher. Is that what your were asking?

Ross sells sodastream adaptors but I'm not sure if they work on fire extinguisher bottles...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday May 31, 2007 2:53 am

No, you still have the squeeze handle on yours. I had that pulled and put a hand turned isolation valve on mine

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday May 31, 2007 7:59 pm

Sorry Dogger should have been more specific - that unit (which isn't mine BTW) has a mod such that the safety pin can lock the trigger on - which isn't exactly 5 stars safety wise but saves having to operate the squeeze valve handle each time you want CO2...
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Kegging