Kegging system shopping list

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Kegging system shopping list

Postby Sathias » Friday Apr 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi guys

I am preparing to build a kegging system for the first time, a mate of mine has got a spare fridge for me and I have already bought some of the lovely Celli taps from Craftbrewer. I am now making sure that I have everything else I will need for my system, I'm basically planning to put two holes in the side and the front of the fridge and mount the taps on the front. Here is what I have on my list so far.

Qty Item Cost / Unit
1 Cornelius Keg (x2) $120.00
1 Dual Gauge - Dual Pressure Co2 regulator $245.00
4 Quick Disconnect MFL (Beer out) $11.90
2 Quick Disconnect MFL (Gas in) $11.90
6 Female Adaptor OD 5/16 x 1/4 FFL $7.00
2 Shank Assembly (For Celli Tap only) $29.50
2 Female Twin Adaptor - Thread 3/8 x Tube OD 8mm $16.00
10 Gas & Beer line (ID 5mm - OD 8mm) - CobraPlus+ $2.00
2 Single Check Valve - Tube OD 5/16 (8mm) $23.00

I have 4 MFL Beer out disconnects so I can put two of them at either end of a bit of hose and use them to rack from one keg to another, then of course the 2 beer out and 2 gas in ones I will need for my gas and beer lines. Then I have the 6 Female adaptors I will need for those 6 connectors. I have two single check valves to put between the regulator and the kegs, and the two shank assemblys for the Celli taps so I can mount them through the fridge door. I went for 10m or gas and beer line so i can have 2 x 2m from the gas to the kegs, another 2 x 2m for each beer line, then 2m left over for a transfer line from keg to keg. Will the 5mm ID be ok to connect to the regulator? It says it is 6mm so should I get some other tubing instead of some of the 5mm cobra stuff?

Do you think I will need anything else?
Sathias

Postby rwh » Friday Apr 20, 2007 4:15 pm

That all sounds sensible to me.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Apr 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Buy Valpar beer line if you can get it - it's excellent quality and costs about the same as regular beer line. I used to have balancing problems and they all went away when I bought Valpar beer line...
I would have bought a dual guage single pressure CO2 regulator for under $100 and then bought a gas manifold if you want to gas kegs at different pressures. Then you would have only needed a single check valve between the manifold and the gas out line from the regulator. $245 is a lot to pay for a regulator and the single pressure reg with 2 or 3 line manifold would probably still be under $245...

One other thing - don't forget to price your gear from US suppliers, eg, Northern Brewer, Morebeer etc...Despite the rather expensive surface mail rates, they sell kegging gear at a fraction of what you're asked to pay over here. For example, I bought 4 x kegs at US$20 each and the postage was US$70...That's US$37.50 per keg delivered which is A$44.93 per keg on today's exchange rate!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Sathias » Saturday Apr 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Interesting info re the single pressure regulator, I might look into that. I do like the idea of being able to accurately split the pressure between the lines though, even if it will cost a bit more.

thanks for the feedback, both of you :)
Sathias

Postby Ross » Monday Apr 23, 2007 8:05 am

Sathias,

You do not require the single check valves - the dual pressure regulator has them built in, making it even better value.
The cobra+ line we sell is miles better than the "beva" line that most hbs's sell. It is a high quality commercial line, I assume of similar quality to the one TL mentions.
For serving lagers & ales at the same time, you can't go past the dual pressure reg - I don't understand how using a gas manifold will substitute??
Kegs from USA can work out a little cheaper, but take up to 3 months to arrive by surface mail - Great if you have the time (bought them myself) - Also the main guy supplying them, currently has no stock.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Sathias » Monday Apr 23, 2007 9:46 am

Hi Ross,

Ah it sounds like the dual pressure reg will be the way to go then, thats quite a nifty feature having the check valves built in :) Is the Cobra line ok to connect to the regulator even though it has an ID of 5mm?

Yeah I don't really want to stuff around with international suppliers unless I really have to, I'd prefer knowing I'll get everything at once. I'll be in touch when I'm ready to place an order :)
Sathias

Postby Ross » Tuesday Apr 24, 2007 8:06 am

Sathias wrote:Hi Ross,

Ah it sounds like the dual pressure reg will be the way to go then, thats quite a nifty feature having the check valves built in :) Is the Cobra line ok to connect to the regulator even though it has an ID of 5mm?

Yeah I don't really want to stuff around with international suppliers unless I really have to, I'd prefer knowing I'll get everything at once. I'll be in touch when I'm ready to place an order :)

Yep, the line fits straight on.
For an order like that, we'll always do a better deal anyway, so don't forget to ask :)

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Return to Kegging