Any Good Bars in Cairns

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Any Good Bars in Cairns

Postby Wassa » Thursday Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Am heading up to Cairns for a 4 day break from 7 October to 11 October.

Does anyone know ant goods bars in Cairns and also any good restaurants where I can take Mrs Wassa and still be able to get a decent beer with dinner.

Thanks guys.
The liver is Evil and must be punished!!
Wassa

Re: Any Good Bars in Cairns

Postby Rabbitz » Friday Sep 19, 2008 8:51 am

I guess it depends by what you mean by "good"?

I was up there last year and didn't find any bars with fancy "unusual beers", all were run of the mill commercial types BUT there are a couple of fun places:

First up is the Cairns Yacht Club, about 100 years old, on the river - has some real atmosphere and a great view over the river. The bistro has a good solid bistro menu. It is an old waterfront timber building, really nice, unfortunately council and developers want to get rid of it to build a new upmarket concrete edifice - I was dumbstruck when the barman told me.

Next in the town centre is a place called "Apres-Surf" or Apres-Sun" or something like that. It is decorated like a European ski lodge (hence the Apres xxx name). It has the widest variety bottled beers (that I found in our short stay) with quite a few 'international' brands. I guess they are hoping to attaract tourists who want a beer from home. The food is good pub-style.

Finally, and during the day only (it is a doof doof club at night) is the Courthouse Hotel. Unlike most pubs called the "Courthouse" which are near the courts, this used to be Cairns Courthouse. The beer is all standard commercial, the atmosphere during the day is nice, with a great beer garden and an excellent kitchen.

I hope this is of some helps

Rabz
"Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems"
H.J. Simpson
Rabbitz

Re: Any Good Bars in Cairns

Postby scooter75 » Friday Sep 26, 2008 8:55 am

Gudday there

Residing in Cairns can be a bit interesting regarding bars. There are a heap of spots along the Esplanade where you can get a beer and watch the backpackers flock past. Quite a good pastime. Some of the bars along th eespy serve a decent beer, mostly the standard though. outback JAcks has JS Amber Ale on Tap. On the pier there is a new place , can't remember name, that has $10 pizza and beer in the afternoon. The bloke there brews his own house beer as well which is a quite tasty lager. The Blue Sky Brewery has opend in Lake St in the City http://www.blueskybrewery.com.au. Not bad but I'm not taken with the atmosphere or the beer for that matter. Probably the pick of the spots for a beer though. I would stick to the waterfront soemwhere, you'll have a good one.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Scoot
scooter75

Return to Pubs and bars