Beer in Brisbane

Been to a good pub, or bad, lately? Found a bar with a great selection of beer? Looking for a new local or somewhere to visit on holidays?

Beer in Brisbane

Postby Not drunk yet » Tuesday Mar 14, 2006 10:55 am

Hi,
Im off to Brisbane for a couple of weeks work and was wondering if any one in the forum could recomend some brew pubs or even pubs with a decent beer menu in Brisbane. If I have to drink XXXX i am not going!!!

Cheers

Geoff
Not drunk yet

Postby Boozer » Tuesday Mar 14, 2006 11:51 am

The Breakfast Creek Hotel :wink:
The Norman Hotel ('Gabba) :wink:

Both serve excellent food & beer 8)
Boozer

Postby WSC » Wednesday Mar 15, 2006 9:29 pm

Try these ones -

Belgium Beer Garden (on edward st i think)
Aururas (sp) (on albert st) It's a brew pub with not a bad range, haven't tried too many of them though
Dooleys in the valley is also an old faithful.

Cheers
WSC

Postby matt » Thursday Mar 16, 2006 12:56 pm

the Breakfast Creek is probably as good as pubs in Brisbane get. try the XXXX 'off the wood', it tastes nothing like bottled or tap XXXX.

Belgian Beergarden is expensive, but ok
the Brewhouse on Albert st has a microbrewery but i've never gone there
the Regatta at Toowong has a St Agnou microbrewery apparently, but i haven't been there for awhile cuz its a yuppy pub

[oh yeah i'm an OPC]
matt

Postby stevem » Thursday Mar 16, 2006 3:23 pm

"Cheers" in Spring Hill also brew their own. I have tasted their brew and they are quiet nice.
stevem

Postby Not drunk yet » Friday Mar 17, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

I take off off in a couple of hours safe in the knowlage that I can continue a XXXX free existance.

Cheers

Geoff
Not drunk yet

Postby mike_hifi » Thursday Feb 15, 2007 2:40 pm

Just went to The Fox at Southbank for a quiet few before going to the Motor Show. The Fox has a good range of beers as well as it own branded Pale Ale! Not sure if they make it, but a bloody nice drop.

Also try the new pub next to Il Centro on Riverside (can't think of the name) - they have the Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale on tap. It's a real treat for the hopheads out there !!
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like half of you less than half as well as you deserve - Bilbo
mike_hifi

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Feb 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Watch out for the pub's own 'Pale Ale', particularly if they are a CBD pub with no brewing capability. In Adelaide I think virtually all of these are brewed by Sabco, it tastes like Southwark Pale Ale.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby mike_hifi » Thursday Feb 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Yeah, perhaps. I'd be surprised if they brew their own and only serve one variety. Tasted OK at the time though!
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like half of you less than half as well as you deserve - Bilbo
mike_hifi

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Feb 15, 2007 3:13 pm

It's beer, of course it did :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby Aussie Claret » Thursday Feb 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Also try 152 Oxford St, it's a micro brewery and I believe has some excellent beers on tap. Food is also pretty good.

Google for their web site.
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby Ross » Thursday Feb 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Aussie Claret wrote:Also try 152 Oxford St, it's a micro brewery and I believe has some excellent beers on tap. Food is also pretty good.

Google for their web site.
AC

Unfortunately no more AC... :cry: It no longer brews it's own.

Cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby porridgewog » Tuesday May 29, 2007 11:28 pm

I know it,s a bit late for your trip, but perhaps next time? I the pub is called the International, it's located behind the St Andrews Hospital in Springhill. They have 4 beers that are brewed on the premises; here's a link to the website http://www.internationalhotel.com.au/micro-brewery.html I recomend the Irish Red..................actualy I recommend all of them!!!!!!
Slàinte maith, h-uile latha, na chi 'snach fhaic!

Good health, every day, whether I see you or not!
porridgewog

Postby stevem » Friday Jul 06, 2007 7:08 pm

I believe the Regatta is once again got the micro brewery going. Brewing James Squire?? Not sure, all heresay. Will have to go have a look/taste. 8)
stevem

Postby Ross » Saturday Jul 07, 2007 8:16 am

stevem wrote:I believe the Regatta is once again got the micro brewery going. Brewing James Squire?? Not sure, all heresay. Will have to go have a look/taste. 8)

It sure has - though i find it hard to get excited by JS beers, very samey & uninspiring to my pallette, but yes, a better choice than the mainstream commercial...

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Re: Beer in Brisbane

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Feb 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Since moving to Brisbane in October, I've been looking for a local with decent brew. What I find is VB (2 kinds), Carlton (2 kinds), Tooheys New, XXXX, and either Hahn's Light or Cascade Light. I did find the Mansfield Tavern which has Tooheys Old and Cooper's Pale on tap, and the Pig & Whistle on Queen street has Old Speckled Hen, and Dicey's has Kelkenny and Guinness.I've yet to visit the Brewhouse or the International. Are there any other pubs that carry the odd Coopers or Little Creatures or such on tap?

Until then, I walk 3+km to the Mansfield or take a bus to Queen street....
Snowdog

Postby WSC » Thursday Feb 14, 2008 12:29 pm

The brewhouse has LCPA on tap.

The Grand Central (under central station) is opening a special imported/micro brew bar, with beer menu and food to match. It looks like it will be awesome and opens in 2-3 weeks from what I hear.

Union Jacks in charlotte st also has a decent range on tap but it is too expensive for me.
WSC

Postby Snowdog » Thursday Feb 14, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks for the tip on Grand Central! I will have to check it out and hopefully be there for the opening!
Snowdog

Postby earle » Friday Feb 15, 2008 8:35 am

Also try the pub in central station. I think its called the whistle Stop, has JSAA (and maybe some others) on tap. Good prices.
earle

Postby Will » Sunday Feb 17, 2008 9:18 pm

O'Malleys is a decent Irish pub in the Wintergarden. Googling it should bring up a specific location.
Will

Next

Return to Pubs and bars