grain mills and rolling pins!

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

grain mills and rolling pins!

Postby grabman » Sunday Apr 17, 2005 9:54 am

MOrning gents,

in my recent foray into partial mashing I've been using a rolling pin to crack the grains, and on accasion my fingers if they get in the way :cry:

So the time has come to look at a mill of some sort, here's where you all come in. Are the grain mills a specific design or can say a meat mincer be used or a coffee grinder :?:
I ask because in many ethnic shops around you can pick these up for about $50 as around say $100 for a grain mill from HBS. It might be my Scottich ancestory coming out or maybe a desire to buy better infredients but I just want to reduce cost of grain mill. Oh yeah and the missus is starting to try to limit my investment, she kepps trotting out the nonsense about home brew supposedly being cheap!

cheers
Grabman
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Terry » Sunday Apr 17, 2005 10:07 am

What about a mortar and pestle? Would this be suitable? It would certainly get the fingers out of the way.
Terry

Postby grabman » Sunday Apr 17, 2005 10:19 am

I've got a mortar and pestle Terry, but it's only a small one, might look for bigger one but again to get right sort of size the price goes up. The idea with grinder setup is that I can bolt to bench where I brew so all my gear is together.

Although soon might need a new garage for the cars! With three fridges, brew bench and bottle crates it's getting pretty crowded :wink:
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Apr 17, 2005 11:33 am

Grab

As long as you can open the plates all is well. I have the same issue, I solved it by buying the grains cracked

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Sunday Apr 17, 2005 12:07 pm

Dogger, I take it you are on about the grinding discs in the mill when you say open the plates! Or am I missing something!
What's the problem?

grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Apr 18, 2005 3:03 am

Grab

Yes Damn Language keeps getting the way.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby db » Monday Apr 18, 2005 9:19 am

i'm with dogger.. pay your hbs to do it. 20c per kilo is money well spent :wink:
db

Return to Grain brewing