Mashing Tun

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Mashing Tun

Postby Slammer » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 1:04 am

G'day all,

Just about to have a crack at a full grain for the first time after a couple of successful mini mashes. I have been informed to make a tun using a couple of 20L buckets. By putting one inside the other. Drilling holes in the bottom of the top bucket and placing a screen of some sort on the bottom. Then put a tap in the bottom bucket. Is this the go? Do I need to place a heating element in the bottom bucket aswell or can I go without to maintain temp. by wrapping in towels etc. What is the go then? Do ya just place all the grain in the bucket and add the water (66-70 deg C)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Slammer
Slammer

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 2:39 am

Nah,

That method didn't work for me.

I use a modified cooler with a manifold and use an infusion mash, most of my grains are well modified so I don't need to worry about protein rest, although I just saw some numbers on the weekend to do a two stage infusion. Might try it just for shits and giggles one day.

I had a few pics of my system, will get them on again

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby grabman » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 9:15 am

I'm with Dogger, I use a coper mainifold in the botom of an esky as my mash tun, should be some pics at http://photos.brodiescastle.com/thumbnails.php?album=3&page=2.

This show the second version after a few uses and modifications.

Grab
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 9:31 am

Thanks Grab,

My system pales beside yours, Thanks for the ideas though, I never realised you could get those propane cookers on legs.

That will work cats in the basement.

(See what the CO and smoke detector is for) :twisted:

Dogger

PS: We would call that one pic frost by the way, not snow and the ATV would be going for a ride :wink:

DD
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby db » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 12:52 pm

I've done around 12 or so partials using an insulated plastic bucket with a plastic false bottom.. i dont see how making a false bottom, by drilling out the bottom of a 2nd bucket & inserting that into the 1st bucket (with a tap at the base of the first) wouldn't work.. it'd be a pain in the ar5e drilling out all those holes tho :P
check out the partial mashing instructions at http://www.bmbrews.com.au ..i would however advise against the plastic false bottom as they tend to float abit & can be abit of a hassle

if your looking at more of a permanent setup i'd be inclined to go for a copper manifold or stainless braid in the esky over the buckets.. my bucket is totally insulated with polystyrene & still loses around 2deg over an hour (i'm lead to believe the esky tuns hold heat alot better)
db

Postby Tyberious Funk » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 1:54 pm

Actually, I'm kinda glad this topic has come up, because I'm interested in building a mash tun over the Christmas period. Probably a small one, because I tend to do small batches and I don't really have the facilities for large boils... so I guess partials would suit me nicely. Sparging and lautering seems a bit less of an issue with partials, as well.

I think I understand the basics... having read How to Brew a few times and a number of web sites as well. But can someone give some recommendations on actual bits and pieces to use? I've seen throw-away phrases like "Most of this can be purchased at your local hardware store". Well, that's nice... but I haven't seen this sort of stuff at MY local hardware store. And I don't even know what to ask for... "Umm... I need some tap... err.. thingys... and some... aahhhh.... joins". On the one occasion I started talking about "food grade" equipment at my local hardware store, they got rather nervous.

Do I need to go to a plumbing supply shop instead, perhaps?
Tyberious Funk

Postby db » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Tyberious Funk wrote:Actually, I'm kinda glad this topic has come up, because I'm interested in building a mash tun over the Christmas period. Probably a small one, because I tend to do small batches and I don't really have the facilities for large boils... so I guess partials would suit me nicely. Sparging and lautering seems a bit less of an issue with partials, as well.

I think I understand the basics... having read How to Brew a few times and a number of web sites as well. But can someone give some recommendations on actual bits and pieces to use? I've seen throw-away phrases like "Most of this can be purchased at your local hardware store". Well, that's nice... but I haven't seen this sort of stuff at MY local hardware store. And I don't even know what to ask for... "Umm... I need some tap... err.. thingys... and some... aahhhh.... joins". On the one occasion I started talking about "food grade" equipment at my local hardware store, they got rather nervous.

Do I need to go to a plumbing supply shop instead, perhaps?

i was at bunnings sussing out some materials on the weekend. most of the components were there.. check out the photo's on this top website

http://brewiki.org/wiki/homebrew/moin.c ... oldGallery
db

Postby db » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 6:04 pm

sorry TF the shot that i was looking for (its a photo of a manifold, tap etc pulled apart so you can see all the connections, taps etc) wasnt on that page.. i'll try & find it and post it if i can
db

Postby thehipone » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 7:27 pm

A big picnic cooler with a stainless braid manifold and batch sparging is about the easiest way to go, a lot less to worry about in my opinion. There are arguments over the merits of each method (batch vs. continuous with a copper manifold).

The end answer is that they both work. I use the braid.

The SS braid can be obtained by going to any hardware store (even the one in the Brisbane CBD has em) and getting a piece of SS reinforced tubing for hot water heaters. THey will be near the plumbing section.
thehipone

Postby gregb » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 7:38 pm

Tyberous,

I too lack the facilities to boil up a full batch, so I do my all grain brew((s) the first is in the bucket) in a 15 ltr fermenter and basically halve the numbers - a 10 to 15 ltr boil I can do.

For a Mash / Lauter tun I use a 25 ltr esky with the grain in a muslin bag. Batch sparge. Next time around I will work the sparge a little harder, being the first I was impatient to get on with the boil and really didn't do the sparge properly. OG was 1038 for 10 ltrs. During the mash I had had to go out for a walk (turned that into a bottle reccy) to stop myself from fiddleing with the mash - put the lid on, leave it alone.

Cheers,
Greg.
gregb

Postby grabman » Tuesday Oct 18, 2005 7:51 pm

cheers Dogger, the BBQ started life as a portable with a smaller burner in it! I just cut a hole in the side to fit my bigger burner in, when I build the brew bench that setup will be modified to fit on the bench, just cut off legs etc@!

Grab
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Tyberious Funk » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 9:16 am

thehipone wrote:A big picnic cooler with a stainless braid manifold and batch sparging is about the easiest way to go, a lot less to worry about in my opinion. There are arguments over the merits of each method (batch vs. continuous with a copper manifold).

You can't batch sparge with a copper manifold? I've been reading up on batch sparging and it sounds a lot easier than continours.
Tyberious Funk

Postby Tyberious Funk » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 9:18 am

db wrote:sorry TF the shot that i was looking for (its a photo of a manifold, tap etc pulled apart so you can see all the connections, taps etc) wasnt on that page.. i'll try & find it and post it if i can

That's ok... I spent most of yesterday afternoon wandering around the link you provided (I suppose I really should have been working, but, whatever). There's heaps of ideas there and I think I saw the picture you are referring to.
Tyberious Funk

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 1:23 pm

Tyberious Funk wrote:
thehipone wrote:A big picnic cooler with a stainless braid manifold and batch sparging is about the easiest way to go, a lot less to worry about in my opinion. There are arguments over the merits of each method (batch vs. continuous with a copper manifold).

You can't batch sparge with a copper manifold? I've been reading up on batch sparging and it sounds a lot easier than continours.

no sparge is the easiest.. or should that be laziest? :wink: its not the most efficient tho

TF i've also noticed grain & grape sell ss false bottoms which look as tho they can be hooked up to a standard plastic tap with either 10mm pvc or copper tubing.. its not the most 'industrial strength' option but it's easy
db

Postby Tyberious Funk » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 4:22 pm

db wrote:sorry TF the shot that i was looking for (its a photo of a manifold, tap etc pulled apart so you can see all the connections, taps etc) wasnt on that page.. i'll try & find it and post it if i can

Is this the page you are referring to?

http://brewiki.org/wiki/homebrew/moin.c ... 9d436c31a9
Tyberious Funk

Postby db » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 5:43 pm

yeah thats the one. nice find.. i'll be taking those pics next time i go to bunnings
db

Postby thehipone » Wednesday Oct 19, 2005 7:45 pm

Tyberious Funk wrote:

You can indeed batch sparge with a manifold. I meant easiest in the overall sense (construction + operation).
thehipone

Return to Grain brewing