Help on a Partial Lager recipe.

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Help on a Partial Lager recipe.

Postby Pom » Friday Jan 01, 2010 10:42 am

Hi guys, has been a while since I posted anything but I have still been brewing away hard. I have my keg convertion kettle and my lanturtun working well now and I have carried out 5 or 6 partials so far with fairly good results. The last being Charlie Papazain's Top drop pilsner, which this morning I put into lagering with 14g of dry Cascade for 3 weeks. So far its really looking good and im really pleased.
This leads me to my next partial. I want to brew a really crisp, clean lager that when I get home from work on a hot day will hit the spot. Has anyone got any good tried a tested recipes to throw my way.
Thanks Rob
Pom

Re: Help on a Partial Lager recipe.

Postby Bizier » Friday Jan 01, 2010 1:05 pm

I suggest that if you have temp control (which I am assuming you do by the sounds of things) then you might consider substituting some of the extract component of your partial with some dextrose to crisp it up a little. You could mash with rice, but it might be a PITA. I suggest using Ger/Cz pils malt if you can, and fresh Coopers or Morgans lightest liquid extract.

Perhaps a 60 min addition of Galaxy or Nelson Sauvin (or Northern Brewer if you want less frutiness) to about 35IBU, followed by a small flame-out charge of the same. Ferment long and cool with a big pitch of well-treated yeast and lager it.

Sorry it is not a recipe, but I think that would hit the spot.
Bizier

Re: Help on a Partial Lager recipe.

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Sorry that this is a bit late, but I would add some FRESH Weyermann Pilsner Malt, use FRESH lager yeast (Wyeast 2000) is a good all purpose lager yeast and boil for 90 minutes to knock the DMS out of the wort that can add stale cardboard like flavours to the pilsener.

My mantra to a good lager - regardless of whether it's partial or full mash is....Temperature control, fresh ingredients and patience....

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Recipes