Summer quaffer! Orange honey wheat beer.

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Summer quaffer! Orange honey wheat beer.

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Nov 08, 2009 10:51 am

Tellawesser as we call. German for dishwater :lol:

Comes out a real light, cloudy straw colour and its damn tasty and with a great aroma. Even better its ready to drink as soon as gassing up so it can be as quick as 10 days from grain to glass :D I just had a play with some stuff on the net and put in amounts of stuff that I'd thought would work.

Batch size 20lts

2kg pale malt
2kg wheat malt
500g orange blossom honey 5 min
15g coriander 5 min
20g orange zest 5 min
30g saaz 60 min
10g saaz 5 min
wyeast 1010 American wheat yeast starter.

Single infusion mash at 65 for 60 mins
Pret boil gravity 1035
Post boil gravity 1049
Final gravity 1010
ABV 5%

Fermented at 18-20 degrees. Pitched at 22.

Once it warms up in the glass it gets more of that funky wheat beer esters but no where near what a belgian wit or S-06 gives. More a neutral sort of wheat beer for the Mr's who doesn't like the bandanna clove esters in most. The coriander/orange is certainly there in the aroma and its neither too sweet or dry. Just enough bitterness for this style imo. Its been a great hit with all that have tried it especially sitting here on a hot day. I'm sure I'll change it around a bit though.
chadjaja

Re: Summer quaffer! Orange honey wheat beer.

Postby timmy » Wednesday Nov 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Sounds like a great drop...

Reminds me I'll have to make another batch of my mandarin hefeweizen before it really starts heating up down here....

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Re: Summer quaffer! Orange honey wheat beer.

Postby chadjaja » Saturday Dec 19, 2009 8:37 am

I did a batch of this just a short while ago and then the Melb heatwave hit during the ferment. Temp was pushed up to 22-24 degrees and I feared the esters would dominate the dryer cleaner profile I wanted in this wheat. Well we are drinking it at the moment and its STILL a sensational beer!

This 1010 yeast is the wheat eq of 1056 it seems with giving a clean beer with a bit of forgiveness and even the wife loves it despite her general hate of wheat beers. I cut back the coriander a little and added a bit more orange and its my most popular beer with the masses so far with both beer novices and those that drink top craft brew.

1010 is easy to build up a starter and split up giving what looks like a heap more yeast than most in my stubbies.

Damn thing keeps on clearing up rather than the cloudy first few days of pours! :evil: :evil: :evil: Time to go out back and shake the keg :lol:
chadjaja

Return to Recipes