Chocolate stout

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Chocolate stout

Postby banger » Friday Oct 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Evening all,

I'm looking at refining my normal stout to try and give it that chocolatey flavour that you get with a Youngs Double Choc Stout. I know they use chocolate essence in their beer, my question is how much would one use in a 'normal' 23 litre brew? The chocolate essence I've bought looks/smells pretty strong, so would 4-5 drops do it or do I need more?
banger

Re: Chocolate stout

Postby Rustyc30 » Saturday Oct 03, 2009 4:38 pm

hi Banger

whenever I use essence I add it to the keg then you can pour off a measured sample and starting adding drops till you get the flavor that you want then work out what to add the the rest of the keg. It is also good to only add 3/4 of the amount that you worked out to start then taste and increase from there Easier to add you can take flavor away. If your bottling then do the sane thing but pour a sample from you bottling bucket taste and dose with the rest with the amount you need that way you can get it spot on for your taste
Rustyc30

Re: Chocolate stout

Postby Planner » Monday Oct 05, 2009 8:43 am

Banger

I bottled my chocolate stout yesterday, and added between 1 and 4 drops per grolsch bottle. I had trialled earlier by adding the essence to the glass when pouring and found that about 2-3 drops per stubbie suited my taste. I'll report back in 3-4 weeks when I crack a few open. I had also used a block of dark chocolate in the boil (minus what I ate, mmmm beer and chocolate)

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Return to Recipes