AG Pale Ale

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

AG Pale Ale

Postby billybushcook » Wednesday Sep 09, 2009 10:53 am

Does any one have an AG recipe for an Aussie style Pale Ale?
The warmer weather is making my cooling system work hard to hold Lager temps (need to upgrade the fan) I figure it might be a good time to go back to Ales again.

S-04 has worked well for me before but what liquids would be the go & what is typically Aussie?

I'm thinking similar grain bill to what I'm using for my lagers but maybe no Maize & a little pale crystal would be nice.

4Kg pale pils malt (BB)
0.75Kg Wheat malt
0.3Kg Pale Crystal

Some Munic perhaps??

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Re: AG Pale Ale

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 09, 2009 11:45 am

Just racked 2 fermenters of an aussie pale ale and its tasting pretty good.

8.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 88.54 %
0.60 kg Wheat, Torrified (Bairds) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.25 %
0.30 kg Amber Malt (Bairds) (100.0 EBC) Grain 3.13 %
0.20 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (170.0 EBC) Grain 2.08 %
60.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
7.50 gm Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
Coopers Ale Yeast

40L (30L boil, 10L of boiling water added at FO)
OG 1.047
IBU ~30

Fermented a bit warmer than i would have liked (18-20) so its got some banana esters but since i didn't add any late hops at all i think its going to be a very easy drinker.

Re-cultured Coopers yeast - well, i actually scored a yeastcake from an AMB brethren and i am passing on the 2 subsequent yeastcakes to others - so the yeast cost me nix but IMO its very important for this style. You can easily culture up some yeast from the bottom of a few CPA stubbies/tallies

You could use wheat malt instead of the torrified wheat. The amber was added just to create a bit more interest.
drsmurto

Postby billybushcook » Wednesday Sep 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Yep, that's the sort of thing I'm after.

Single hop addition too!

Do I farm the yeast the same as you would from the fermenter,-
As in,
shake & pour off three bottles into a sterile container, give it 15 -20 Mins to settle & save/seperate the milky liquid from above the cold break & crud that settles on the bottom? or just hit it with some sugar/wort to get it firing again?

Mick.
billybushcook

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 10, 2009 10:40 am

There is no crud in the bottom of a CPA, only yeast so you don't need to clean or separate it from anything.

My understanding of the coopers brewing process is after fermentation the beer is centrifuged which strip all of the yeast out leaving a crystal clear beer behind. At bottling fresh yeast is added along with priming solution (or they may stop fermentation at a set SG to skip the sugar addition and allow the fresh yeast to ferment the remaining sugars... but i digress)

To get enough yeast for a 20L batch i would do the following.

Start with 3 stubbies of CPA.

Pour off the beer leaving the yeast behind (which is how i like to drink my coopers ales.....).

Pour the yeast suspension into a sanitised flask.

Make up a starter. For this size i would recommend using a 250-500mL starter to begin with. (250mL of boiled water, 25g of LDME, allowed to cool to <30C). Add the yeast and let it ferment for 48h. Tip this into a 2L starter and let it ferment for 48h. You can either chill and pour off the 'beer' leaving the yeast behind and pitch only this or pitch the entire starter. I pitch only the yeast slurry.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Monday Mar 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Dr Smurto how close would you say your recipe is to a Cascade Pale Ale as I've been after an all grain recipe as such. I was thinking that with 1056 it could be something similar.

Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Mar 23, 2010 10:27 am

Its been a very long time since i had a cascade anything so i cant say much other than this beer will be too malty. Its too malty to be a CPA clone.

Remove the amber malt, mash at 63-64C, single hop addition of something neutral and a clean yeast so 1056 may be ok. More than likely needs some sugar as well, up to 10% to really get the FG down.

Does it have any hop flavour/aroma or yeast esters?
drsmurto

Return to Recipes